Well, I have been searching around for a guitar I want for a while now, and I can't really find one with everything I want, so I figured I could build my own. The only problem is, I don't really know how to get started.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for getting a project started. I know how to do all the wiring and stuff, but I am not sure how to route the body for the pickups and bridge or how to make the neck.

I wanna do either an HH configuration with Coil Taps, or splits, depending on what you call it. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Get yourself "Make your own electric guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock. While its not perfect, it was a great help to me. Also, have a look on a website called projectguitar and read through the tutorials. Basically, read every guitar making related thing you can get your hands on.

http://www.projectguitar.com/menu/tutorial.htm this is a the tutorial bit. Also, have a look through some build threads on this forum to see how others do things.
Last edited by supergerbil at Aug 25, 2009,
Project guitar is a good resorce (though I've yet to build my own guitar - still planning it out)
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
Alrightly, cool. Thanks, Does anyone know of any programs you can use to design the shape of the guitar?
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
MS Paint...
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
try kisekae if its a standard shape if not photoshop (if u have it) or GIMP (gimp is free)
Quote by Vauxite
Lots of lulz were produced, thankyou good sir
How about drawing by hand ? Easiest and cheapest way.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Hi, Lots and lots of research.Go to a book store and pickup a book on Guitar building.The internet is a big help. There is some terminology you must know ,ie Scale Length is a big one.I draw all my guitar designs by hand and to scale. I use poster board for that. There are some tools you will need as well , The book will tell you. Have the parts on hand first ,If you are buying the neck you will need the heel measurement for the neck pocket. Also you need the pickup measurements.Thats just 2 . There is alot more.I hope this doesnt discourage you.If you have worked with power tools and wood I dont see a problem.The only thing is when you build your 1st one you will be hooked. I 've built about 20 guitars since 2005.But thats just me. Good luck.
Also, look at AbsentMind's tutorial on how to do tapers for necks with scale length and such. It makes a hella lot of sense. It's in the ultimate resource thread I think.

Oh yeah, read up, ask any question that you can't find an answer for or need clearing up, blah blah etc. etc.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Alright thanks. Well I drew out a body style i wanted by hand, it's just kinda sloppy. I read through a bunch of tutorials last night, and the way you have to approach a project like this is pretty universal. So i think I got that down.

One of the things I'm still not sure of is the kind of pots I need. I want to use Dimarzio Pickups, the D Sonic and the Air Norton, with 2 vol/2 tone/3-way switch up, and if it is possible for those pick ups, I want to do coil splitting or coil taps, depending on what you call it. Could someone point me in the right direction for pot size, and if anyone knows where I Could find a wiring diagram for that set up it would help, as I can't find one anywhere.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Yeah that should be fine, you'll need push/pull pots with 500k values though, that config. is a standard LP-type setup. http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h2v2t3w2sp

I think that is what you want. If not; http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

Wire colours will vary, but that page has a diagram for that. Good luck bru.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
I guess you could say it's Similar to an LP body shape. It's more like an LP than a Tele or Strat.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
No I meant the pickup configuration, 2 humbuckers, with 2 vol 2 tone and coil split. But still, do what you wish, it's your guitar, only you can choose what you want.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.