I practice daily, usually my practice session goes for an hour. Sometimes though, I feel really good and i usually go for longer because I actually feel like playing. Some days though, I just dont have it in me. I feel sloppy and Im not bothered practising or playing songs. This happen to anyone else?
yeah, all the time.

the odd thing is, when i have one of those days when i just cant get into playing my bass, i pick up my guitar and end up getting into that!! but then eventually i get bored of that and go back to my bass!!

its a never ending cycle, but it keeps me entertained!!
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
Yeah...It's a guitarist "thing"...It doesn't happen only for one day to me though. Sometimes i don't feel like playing for 3-4 days and then for a week i sleep with my guitar in my hands xD
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.
Well that's basically the definition of our generation

I find it impossible to maintain an effort for weeks, or even days, before coming across a lull and finding guitar playing pretty unrewarding

The beauty of it is it always comes back, the urge to play it, so it doesn't really matter
it happens to me sometimes, not very often. try playing songs that you no really well already or learn a easy song. trying some improvisation usually makes me feel better about my playing
The beauty of it is it always comes back, the urge to play it, so it doesn't really matter

Thats exactly what happens to me! Ill want to play again, badly.

Improvising makes the feeling worse for me, actually. When i improvise, i have too many things in my head that I want to do, too much to say. That makes me feel more frustrated.
just try to focus on playing with feeling rather than fast flashy stuff
Its kinda hard when your idol is malmsteem. >_>
I have him yell in my head as soon as I start playing slow tempo stuff. "STOP PLAYING WITH FEELING PUT DOWN YOUR GUITAR"
Even then, my flashy stuff is anything but. I've only been playing for a year ;_;
if you wanna play anything like malmsteen your will need to put lots of work in, im sure malmsteen practised for hours each day. if you want to get that good you will just have to push through and practise lots
My "practise session" goes for at least two hours a day, every day. Sometimes though, I feel tired, my fingers won't seem to do the job (while I'm still in my warm up exercises). What I basically do then, is instead of forcing mzelf to play these warm up exercises well, just play a counple of random songs you know, then go back to your practising. This works for me at least.

This, or a shower will also help
When you people say "feeling" which feeling are you referring to? Exactly there is no playing with feeling, there is only liking what you play or not liking what you play. Playing or listening to something you don't like will not sound the same as something you do like, it's got nothing to do with "feeling". Most of the people who say play with "feeling" actually just mean choose your notes, rather than wank up and down a scale. "don't think about what your playing just let ur emoShuns!1 out" is a popular attitude to have, and it pains me to see it.

I don't think Malmsteen would be elitist enough to look down on people for playing at a slow tempo, i'd get rid of this notion quick if you want to enjoy playing guitar. Play what you like because you like it, basically.

To answer your original question tho , yes the vast majority of guitarists will have times when the don't really want to play. Some it will last a few weeks, others will want to pick up the guitar a few hours later, it's all about motivation. Some people find it easier than others.
Last edited by Helpy Helperton at Aug 25, 2009,
Usually when I get a tad bored I learn some new cool challenging song or go look at Alexi Laiho playing a live show. That second suggestion almost always does it for me. Even though i'll probably never be that good its still good inspiration, which is what your lacking in the first place causing you to feel the way you do.
Quote by Helpy Helperton
When you people say "feeling" which feeling are you referring to? Exactly there is no playing with feeling, there is only liking what you play or not liking what you play. Playing or listening to something you don't like will not sound the same as something you do like, it's got nothing to do with "feeling". Most of the people who say play with "feeling" actually just mean choose your notes, rather than wank up and down a scale. "don't think about what your playing just let ur emoShuns!1 out" is a popular attitude to have, and it pains me to see it..

Dude I mean no offense at all. But your telling me when you watch people like BB King or even Steve Vai, that you cant tell they are like channeling themselves through the music. You can see it in their faces, you can hear it in their notes. Thats raw emotion coming through the guitar my friend.

I'm sorry but you could sit down and have two different guitar players play the same lick but tell them to make it their own. and it will have a completely different feel depending on their phrasing, their vibrato, their technique, how hard they attack the strings, all that stuff.

Thats just me man, but personally every time I pick up the guitar I feel like i'm just bleeding out emotion all over the fretboard. Its a beautiful thing.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Yup, I do. I fall asleep within 30 minutes of touching the guitar on those days.
Quote by Dragonis
Dude I mean no offense at all. But your telling me when you watch people like BB King or even Steve Vai, that you cant tell they are like channeling themselves through the music. You can see it in their faces, you can hear it in their notes. Thats raw emotion coming through the guitar my friend.

I'm sorry but you could sit down and have two different guitar players play the same lick but tell them to make it their own. and it will have a completely different feel depending on their phrasing, their vibrato, their technique, how hard they attack the strings, all that stuff.

Thats just me man, but personally every time I pick up the guitar I feel like i'm just bleeding out emotion all over the fretboard. Its a beautiful thing.

What is raw emotion? So describe how one sets about "bleeding" their emotions onto the fretboard? I'm trying not to be a dick but still get the point across that people talk about 'feeling' as if its a justification that they don't have to make an effort playing guitar.

'Feeling' or 'emotional' playing, boils down to good note choice and good dynamics, just because one decides "ok im in an emotional mood, lets write some stuff to make people weep". I'm affraid it doesn't work like that.

Btw the stuff you described pick attack, vibrato, sliding etc is called dynamics not emotions. Yes people can play 2 things differently but it doesn't boil down to one has emotions and one doesn't, also just because someone pulls a guitar face doesn't mean they are 'feeling' their music.
It happens. Try and find a cure for it - there are different kind of "off days". Sometimes I'm having a off day for metal - but learning some bossa nova is still a lovely experience. Ditto for classical or improvisation or tone or whatever.

Find your cure by experimenting. Also - practice interesting things, not simple and dull exercises.
Quote by Helpy Helperton
What is raw emotion? So describe how one sets about "bleeding" their emotions onto the fretboard? I'm trying not to be a dick but still get the point across that people talk about 'feeling' as if its a justification that they don't have to make an effort playing guitar.

'Feeling' or 'emotional' playing, boils down to good note choice and good dynamics, just because one decides "ok im in an emotional mood, lets write some stuff to make people weep". I'm affraid it doesn't work like that.

Btw the stuff you described pick attack, vibrato, sliding etc is called dynamics not emotions. Yes people can play 2 things differently but it doesn't boil down to one has emotions and one doesn't, also just because someone pulls a guitar face doesn't mean they are 'feeling' their music.

Dude its about playing the guitar with conviction. Are you telling me that music doesn't bring out any emotion for you? If your playing something that sounds happy you dont feel happy? If your playing something sad you dont feel sad? I never said playing with emotion had to be sad, its just playing with conviction. Playing with the mentality that the notes you're choosing are the only possible notes to play and your listeners must hear those exact notes.

Its 100% more about the state of mind your in when your playing then about actually playing with a physical "feeling". If your playing simply for your love of music then I feel it should come naturally. Its not like a 6th sense or something like that.

I know all that stuff is dynamics, but they change from person to person, and they change depending on your mood and how a song makes you feel. They are just tools to express the music differently. The difference between a wide long drawn out vibrato and a short quick one can make a huge difference on the mood of a song.

"people talk about 'feeling' as if its a justification that they don't have to make an effort playing guitar."

This part I really just don't get. No one said you didnt have to make an effort to play if your playing with "feeling". People who say play with "feeling" are just basically saying get into the music, get into a certain mindset where the notes mean more to you then just "oh ok these notes are supposed to sound good together thats why it sounds good"

I mean its obvious you dont see it that way, which I completely understand and I'm not knocking you for it. We obviously dissagree. I'm just saying from my point of view, and just being a lover of music in general, that music always draws out certain emotions for me. And I feel like that my playing is completely influenced on how well I'm feeling out the music. If I'm just not in that mindset then what I'm playing will just never sound good to me, I'll always feel like its lacking something.

Its basically the whole "You say tamato, I say tahmahto" (i had to spell it differently so you could get the idea)

You think it comes down to good note choice and good dynamics. I say that dynamics comes from the player, and the way that they use them makes a huge difference in the song. Its basically the same thing. we just have different ideas of how the playing goes about getting that specific sound. I feel like it comes from inside, you think it just comes from know what to play and what sounds good. Just a difference of opinions.

Shall we agree to dissagree?

Oh and to the TS. It happens to people all the time. Some days your on, some days your not. Thats pretty much life for you. Just keep playin, those days always come and go
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
yea. i usually practice 4-7 hours daily and after a while i give myself the worst burn outs. when i'm really burned out i feel like **** mentally and can't play so i just relax and after 2 days or so i come up with new things to play and i'm fine. just don't let these "not feeling it" end your guitar playing.