So i have my first practice with a new band on Saturday and we are writing some new material. The guitarist has recorded some tunes and asked me to nut out a bassline for it.

The only problem is that im new to writing music and have never studied it at school, i have only been playing tabs, the other problem is that we don't have a drummer yet.

Should i just wait until practice and see what the guitarist plays, and just follow them?

Oh and we will play hardcore/punk. Like the refused but a little heavier.. if it helps.

Should i play just straight eighth notes to start with and then jazz it up as i get comfortable with the songs?

Thanks alot for any advice guys!
Last edited by dickm at Aug 25, 2009,
Just see what the guitarist has in mind first, see what he plays and play the root note of that for now.
Then as you progress in your playing and theory knowledge you can add to it by using known scales, modes, slides, pops, taps and anything else you can think of. Its limitless.
Thats what i was thinking, cheers mate.

they have been in bands before and studied music so i guess i will learn from them as we go.
Remember not to just be a "by the book" musician.

In other words, play from the heart and use your ears and your common sense when you're writing. Music is an art form and knowing theory can only get you so far.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
a way i have improved in my writing, is to listen to songs and find the chords for the song. i play through the song with only roots a few times, then as i start to feel more comfortable with the song, i add in leading notes and things like that until i am happy with it.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Well, since you do already have recordings of some ideas you should definitely at least go over the material and try to write some reasonable stuff instead of winging it all at the practice, seeing as thats the idea of a practice anyway.

Root notes should be fine if you dont really have any idea of how you want to do it though. Most people start like that until they are comfortable with their technique and knowledge anyway and your friends cant really expect anything really impressive on a first practice yeh?

If you can try and imagine what a drummer would play for the song that might help too at least for a general in head tempo or something.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by moody git
a way i have improved in my writing, is to listen to songs and find the chords for the song. i play through the song with only roots a few times, then as i start to feel more comfortable with the song, i add in leading notes and things like that until i am happy with it.

Thats the way to do it!
Baaaaaaazz
What i tend to do is hum along with the guitar and then try and work it out on bass, if you can hear it in your head it's only a matter of finding the notes and getting comfortable with it.
I usually stick with the guitar at first, until I know what the drummer and singer are doing. It sucks when you come up with this cool bass run and it doesn't fit at all with the drummer.
What I do is learn what the guitarist is playing. I then play off of that, throwing in fills and countermelodies even.
Getting comfortable with the root notes, and later adding in fills and elaborating a bit more on it is definitely the way to go!