Ok so I want 2 new pups for my Epi LP Custom.
Bridge is muddy and sounds pretty average with distortion. Same for neck.

I mostly play Metallica, Megadeth , Nirvana, Dream Theater, Petrucci and Satch (Or I'm attempting to ). I'm playing a wide variety of stuff mostly rock and metal. However I do occasionally play with my schools jazz band!

Anyway so I'm thinking

*SD Distortion for the Bridge
*SD Jazz/59 for the neck

So I have a few q's:

1. Will the Distortion suit my styles?
2. Should I get the jazz or 59 for my neck...Well It make a huge difference??
3. Will getting covers/SD pups with covers alter my tone much or is it a waste of time/money??
4. Can I buy any of those pups above and they'll fit in my LP or will I need to be more specific (Will probs buy off ebay)
5. If I wanted a more single coiley sound can they be coil tapped/split...and which one is more suitable?

Thanks!

BTW hopefully getting a Blackstar HT-5 in the next few days (Plz dont reccomend a new amp!)
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Last edited by hendrixftw at Aug 25, 2009,
1) The Distortion is a very hot pickup, so I don't see why it wouldn't be able to cover all your styles - Petrucci, Megadeth, Metallica - although it may lack versatility if you want to use your bridge pickup for cleaner stuff.

2) I have both the Jazz and '59 (in different guitars) and while the jazz is a very clear, clean sounding pickup, I have a preference for the '59 because it has a real old school bluesy kinda tone to it. Might not be your thing as it's a little bassier and scooped, but the jazz is extremely versatile and I find it's focus is more on mid range and higher frequencies compared to the '59, if you want less mud and bass from your neck position.

I think the Jazz is coil tappable as it has the 4 conductor cable. Not sure about the Distortion, but as I said earlier if you would like a more versatile bridge pickup, maybe the JB is a better option as it's not as hot, but has some bite to it, and is coil tappable.

I don't think tappable is a word, but hey.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
Last edited by Sleazeball at Aug 25, 2009,