Hey UG dudes

i've got a tricky question for you

will this work:

i have a old crap electric guitar with a loose pickup (humbucker), so i pulled it out, and had an idea. what if i was to cut the wire connecting the pickup to the volume pot, and opened up a toy raygun and cut the wires coming from the circuit board in the toy raygun to the speaker in the raygun, and hooked those wires up to wire that used to be connected to the humbucker?

when i press the button on the raygun, would the signal be transmitted out of the guitar, and be heard through the amplifier?

so to recap, the output of the raygun circuitry (input to the internal raygun speaker) will be connected to the the wire that would usually join a humbucker to the regular guitar circuit.

will this work or have i messed up my theory?

thanks guys, hugh
just a quick question:

why????
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
Quote by Robbo1422
just a quick question:

why????

I reckon what this guy is trying to do is make the raygun sound come out of the amp.

I reckon an easier way to do it is to put the gun right next to the pickup you're using, fire the gun and hope that your pickups are microphonic enough to have the sound come out of the amp.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, people don't take you seriously." - John Petrucci.

Quote by maskimx
I am really really not proud of this but there was a chubby, African American kid in my preschool, and I called him "Blacky Fatso"
i get what hes trying to do, i just don't see why he'd want to do it, an if he does it that way isn't he essentially doing the mobile phone trick?
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
Quote by Robbo1422
i get what hes trying to do, i just don't see why he'd want to do it, an if he does it that way isn't he essentially doing the mobile phone trick?

Pretty much.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, people don't take you seriously." - John Petrucci.

Quote by maskimx
I am really really not proud of this but there was a chubby, African American kid in my preschool, and I called him "Blacky Fatso"
Quote by hughfrancis89
Hey UG dudes

i've got a tricky question for you

will this work:

i have a old crap electric guitar with a loose pickup (humbucker), so i pulled it out, and had an idea. what if i was to cut the wire connecting the pickup to the volume pot, and opened up a toy raygun and cut the wires coming from the circuit board in the toy raygun to the speaker in the raygun, and hooked those wires up to wire that used to be connected to the humbucker?

when i press the button on the raygun, would the signal be transmitted out of the guitar, and be heard through the amplifier?

so to recap, the output of the raygun circuitry (input to the internal raygun speaker) will be connected to the the wire that would usually join a humbucker to the regular guitar circuit.

will this work or have i messed up my theory?

thanks guys, hugh

it would work but if you were to do that you can just wire it direct to the output jack, stuff the electronics in the cavity and mount a switch on the guitar to activate it all while keeping the pickup on the guitar.
Quote by Robbo1422

Whats the mobile phone trick?
Impossible is Nothing
Quote by Telecaster7
play a song or ringtone on your phone and hold ti to your pickups.

Heh, thats cool

I just tried it and got a lot of fuzz
Impossible is Nothing
haha yeah i know its a bit weird. its a really cheap guitar, thought it would be cool.

i play in an experimental band. its not unheard of, james iha of smashing pumpkins and russell lissack of bloc party have been known to do weird stuff similar to this.

im not sure wether the wire is a 4 wire humbucker or a 2 wire humbucker, i havent cut it yet, still deciding whether to fix it normally or do this crazy mod to it. the pickups are uncovered. it shouldnt really make a difference right? i would just wire the earth to the earth and the hot to the hot, and bam, u have a guitar that will make raygun noises, and also play like a normal guitar, depending on the pickup switch position.

it shouldnt be hard to work out which is the earth and which is the hot, as it will work one way, and not work the other right?

i have tried to do the "mobile phone trick" and it doesnt really work that well. i want the raygun signal to be as loud as the guitar signal.

i havent looked into wiring it straight to the output tho. that would mean if I could not disable the raygun with the pickup switch, or alter the tone of the raygun.

so it will work right? i wanna be sure before i go and chop off one of the pickups.
Quote by hughfrancis89
haha yeah i know its a bit weird. its a really cheap guitar, thought it would be cool.

i play in an experimental band. its not unheard of, james iha of smashing pumpkins and russell lissack of bloc party have been known to do weird stuff similar to this.

im not sure wether the wire is a 4 wire humbucker or a 2 wire humbucker, i havent cut it yet, still deciding whether to fix it normally or do this crazy mod to it. the pickups are uncovered. it shouldnt really make a difference right? i would just wire the earth to the earth and the hot to the hot, and bam, u have a guitar that will make raygun noises, and also play like a normal guitar, depending on the pickup switch position.

it shouldnt be hard to work out which is the earth and which is the hot, as it will work one way, and not work the other right?

i have tried to do the "mobile phone trick" and it doesnt really work that well. i want the raygun signal to be as loud as the guitar signal.

i havent looked into wiring it straight to the output tho. that would mean if I could not disable the raygun with the pickup switch, or alter the tone of the raygun.

so it will work right? i wanna be sure before i go and chop off one of the pickups.

again, there is no need to remove one of the pickups. you can fit the electronics into the cavity and just have a momentary button or switch to start the annoying raygun sounds.

you can always wire it before the volume knob instead of direct to the output jack if you want some control over it.

and the "mobile phone trick" is not a trick. it's more of a gimmick. now the remote control trick is another matter entirely.

personally, if it was me and i was doing some experimental music i'd build a box like gibby haynes from the butthole surfers had. basically it was a box full of noisy little gadgets hooked up to an amp.
I'd build it into a pedal, if it was me.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
^ +1
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal