Courts take The Pirate Bay offline. The Pirate Bay laughs in their faces.

Page 1 of 2
Today, Stockholm’s district court took action to completely remove The Pirate Bay from the Internet.

The court ordered the site’s major bandwidth supplier, Black Internet, to disconnect TPB from the Internet or face penalties of 500,000 kroner ($70,600). The ISP complied, saying that it had no choice but to uphold the law.

The censorship of The Pirate Bay will continue pending the outcome of a civil action taken by several entertainment companies including Disney, Universal, Warner, Columbia, Sony, NBC and Paramount.

Rick Falkvinge, leader of The Pirate Party said: “This is absolutely ridiculous. The Court seems to consider themselves above the Constitution,” while criticizing the effect that these civil actions are having on freedom of speech. “This clarifies how copyright law has become untenable, and how information is lacking political skills in the judiciary,” he added.

Black Internet is probably not the only supplier of bandwidth to The Pirate Bay, so it may be possible for them to reconnect to the Internet elsewhere. Whether or not another Swedish supplier would even consider doing that is seriously in doubt.

Update: As expected, The Pirate Bay site relocated and is back online (DNS still has to update for some people). A Pirate Bay insider told TorrentFreak that they “got a new connection to the net.” The tracker is still down and is expected to be fully operational tomorrow morning, we were told. Ever since their servers were raided back in 2006 they were prepared for takedown attempts like this.

“The MAFIAA has spent millions of dollars and endless amounts of time to get this ban in order. Our guess is that they also bribed a bit to get it since it violates so many laws not only in Sweden but also in the EU, not to mention violations against human rights. And what do they have to show for it? 3 hours of partial downtime,” the Pirate Bay team adds.

The t-shirt below (currently the logo on the Pirate Bay homepage) will be sent to the people responsible for the takedown attempt tomorrow morning, the Pirate Bay insider told TorrentFreak.

Another update: The temporary host has a problem with its fiber causing the site to go offline again. Meanwhile, the downtime is causing traffic spikes for other torrent sites and trackers.

http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-taken-offline-by-swedish-authorities-090824/
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
The MAFIAA? That's what they called themselves?

Meh, doesn't really affect me.

I guess the basic gist of it is these Pirates are South Parking Teh Courtz?
I fully support the tpb cause, but I can't help but feel like they're in over their heads a bit.
i recon it should be taken down.... i love the shirt though..
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
You can't take down pirates. End of.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
The t-shirt is awesome.
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

SAVE GIBSON

Just went there, I like their little picture.

I admire their resilience but, as Americans know, you CAN solve a problem by throwing money at it. Endless lawyers and lawsuits will be made against them until they crack. Sad, I really like TPB D=
Yayy! TPB FTW!
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
whats the pirate bay? Place where you can illegally download copyrighted material? If thats the case then they should be closed down.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
it bothers me when they try to justify illegal downloading.

i download, you download, we know it is wrong but dont give me that bull**** about how it should be legal. because it should not.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
haha this just goes to prove that there will always be internet piracy. The key is to use this to your advantage.

Like Immortal Technique says: "Your a fookin pussy if you don't download my album".
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by HuckIt
whats the pirate bay? Place where you can illegally download copyrighted material? If thats the case then they should be closed down.

My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by HuckIt

Paying for things is over rated...

Honestly, before the net there was music that was taped and traded. The Grateful Dead for example used that to their advantage, setting up booths so people could do this...

There's a way for musicians and movie makers to use this, they just arent...
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I admire their resilience but, as Americans know, you CAN solve a problem by throwing money at it. Endless lawyers and lawsuits will be made against them until they crack. Sad, I really like TPB D=

The problem they are having is that the Pirate Bay follows Swedish law, as it is a Swedish company, thus having little problem with Copy write infringement. Reading through the letter it was funny how stupid the American companies were being trying to sue them with a completely different legal system, as they assumed that their law, was everyone's law.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

They're going about this entirely the wrong way. There's no way they'll ever solve their problem by putting millions of dollars behind lawyers and legal teams and going out their way to prosecute and make examples of individuals. They have no idea what their doing.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The problem they are having is that the Pirate Bay follows Swedish law, as it is a Swedish company, thus having little problem with Copy write infringement. Reading through the letter it was funny how stupid the American companies were being trying to sue them with a completely different legal system, as they assumed that their law, was everyone's law.

I know, but their leader has been jailed and the site taken offline many times, so obviously something is working.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
who cares? TPB sucks now anyway.

...in what way?

Seriously, why don't you try getting sued and having your website taken offline, and we'll see how good it is afterwards.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Last edited by [x]Huffy[x] at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I know, but their leader has been jailed and the site taken offline many times, so obviously something is working.

Bribery and intimidation has its advantages I suppose
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
What a waste of money. There are so many better things to do with so much cashola.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']...in what way?

It's bogged down with viruses and heavily monitored by the MPAA and RIAA and whatnot.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Whilst I don't actively condone the practice of the site I have a lot of respect for their tenacity, even if they are getting cocky as hell.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
It's bogged down with viruses and heavily monitored by the MPAA and RIAA and whatnot.

Maybe so. Regardless of the site's actual quality, I'm really rooting for TPB to stick it to the man.

ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

Quote by JackalUK
Whilst I don't actively condone the practice of the site I have a lot of respect for their tenacity, even if they are getting cocky as hell.

Them being cocky about it is the best thing.

They're publically showing these people up, every attempt at closing them down just results in them failing to do so.

Everytime they fail to keep TPB down they seem more and more innefectual to every other site out there thinking that if they get caught it's over.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
inb4 PIRACY REVOLUTION
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

Quote by dustyboy316
Paying for things is over rated...

... Hows that exactly?

Anyway, bit torrent 4 lyf!
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Not to mention they also know that it doesn't matter how many domestic and international laws you break as long as you get what you want.

Quote by ChemicalFire

Happens all too often, and doesn't just relate to law. All cultural, business and economic practices they throw at other countries.

Quote by Demon Wolf
it bothers me when they try to justify illegal downloading.

i download, you download, we know it is wrong but dont give me that bull**** about how it should be legal. because it should not.

Thing is it's not really illegal in Sweden and there's been a bunch of laws broken in the pursuit of taking the Pirate Bay down, as well as intimidation and possibly bribery. It's not illegal - that is, it's legal - and they're being charged as though it were illegal and the proceedings have gone ahead as though it were illegal.
It sets a stupid and dangerous precedent.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Last edited by dann_blood at Aug 25, 2009,
it is illegal to fileshare in sweden now. new law from early summer.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf
it is illegal to fileshare in sweden now. new law from early summer.

Ah, how convenient. Does that include distribution? Because copyright law is clearly intended to punish the users and downloaders. Remember, piracy is deprivation of property, which simply hasn't occurred here.
Anyway, I guess that just makes up for all the other laws they broke in the first place before getting to that. Right? It's not like it was entirely legal until that new legislation was put in place (if it even actually comprehensively covers the topic) and the action taken was still unlawful or anything.
That doesn't even go into how fucking backward copyright law is. In haste to stop this type of thing stupid precedent is being set and it is highly debateable whether the legislation being passed is just, reasonable and fair.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood
Ah, how convenient. Does that include distribution? Because copyright law is clearly intended to punish the users and downloaders. Remember, piracy is deprivation of property, which simply hasn't occurred here.
Anyway, I guess that just makes up for all the other laws they broke in the first place before getting to that. Right? It's not like it was entirely legal until that new legislation was put in place (if it even actually comprehensively covers the topic) and the action taken was still unlawful or anything.
That doesn't even go into how fucking backward copyright law is. In haste to stop this type of thing stupid precedent is being set and it is highly debateable whether the legislation being passed is just, reasonable and fair.

i will look into it when i get home from work, do not know exactly what the new law does but filesharing has gone down substantially since it was implemented.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Quote by trivium036
... Hows that exactly?

Anyway, bit torrent 4 lyf!

Because free is better of course.
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

i used to use tpb a lot,but after i found mininova it's been replaced. still though i don't want it gone. sometimes i still find good stuff there.
Quote by dustyboy316
Because free is better of course.

It is.

Capitalism=meh.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

They should understand by now that there is not a hope in this world of them actually stopping internet downloading. Their business model is an old one, and they should have spotted the opportunities to scrap that old business model and build a new one which appeals to the young, technology-focused market. The fact that they haven't done this already doesn't bode well for them.

A firm to represent labels (e.g the RIAA) shouldn't exist. The labels and artists should manage this themselves, I guarantee they'd find a better method that they can make some cash off of, rather than let the RIAA represent them and tear the music industry apart in the process. The RIAA as it stands adopts practically medieval policies of hunting down those who download and suing them beyond all reasonable and rational thought to breaking point.

Part of the reason internet downloading hasn't stopped IMO is because there is no suitable alternative. CD's are too expensive, and have been for years. Only now are prices starting to go down a bit, and it's only because we're in recession, not because they've come to their senses. iTunes is all well and good, but they ask you to pay per song and per album, and for people who are used to downloading for free, that's asking a lot. An all new subscription service should be set up, whereby you pay a fixed amount per month/year, and get unlimited access to music. Then, through the use of advertising from other firms, they would be able to make up lost profits as well as earn something off the subscription fees.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Page 1 of 2