hey guys, my bassist needs a bass rig for gig use. i myself am completely clueless when it comes to bass equipment, so im asking for help. he has $500 to spend, (maybe a little more, but not much) and needs a bass and amp. the amp really only needs to be durable, and loud enough for small to medium sized performances.

any help is appreciated. thanks.
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Ugh, good luck, eBay, Gumtree, etc are your friends here, you're going to want something over 200 watts for sure, stay away from behringer.
Keep a look out on the second hand section of Bass Centre as well, depending on where you are located.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Aug 25, 2009,
^ +1, you're going to have to go used. IMO anything you buy down there should be used...prices are stupidly high.
Nope, no sig here.
good luck... that's not going to be easy
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
$500AUD? That will get you this.

Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
$500AUD? That will get you this.

wait..but dvd's...don't...need...to...be.....rewinded?
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by consecutive e
Ugh, good luck, eBay, Gumtree, etc are your friends here, you're going to want something over 200 watts for sure, stay away from behringer.
Keep a look out on the second hand section of Bass Centre as well, depending on where you are located.

200 watts? yeah this isnt going to be possible at all i dont think. thanks for the help anyway guys
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by ihavenoname93
200 watts? yeah this isnt going to be possible at all i dont think. thanks for the help anyway guys

Patience is the key here, just keep your eye out and wait for the right amp I guess. Oh, and don't forget Trading Post
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by ihavenoname93
hey guys, my bassist needs a bass rig for gig use. i myself am completely clueless when it comes to bass equipment, so im asking for help. he has $500 to spend, (maybe a little more, but not much) and needs a bass and amp. the amp really only needs to be durable, and loud enough for small to medium sized performances.

any help is appreciated. thanks.

Ahh...

Getting an amp with enough wattage for that price is pretty hard, but a bass aswel!!!
I think you should tell your bassist to save up some more money, cause if he needs a bass and an amp he will probably need around $1000AU... Unless you can find a rig really cheap but i doubt it.
---------------------------------
Our prices are stupidly high.
The cheapest thing i could find was a used MAG 600 for 500 AUD.
/brag.

Anyway, good luck with that, browse ebay, trading post and the newspapers everyday i guess.
500 aus won't even get you a Squier VM, let alone a giggable amp with it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Ebay.I got my yamaha 100 watt head with a lorantz 4x10 for $450 AUD.Sure it may not have the perfect tone,but it's loud enough and reliable.All those 80's-90's solid states are really good value in australia.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
Ebay.I got my yamaha 100 watt head with a lorantz 4x10 for $450 AUD.Sure it may not have the perfect tone,but it's loud enough and reliable.All those 80's-90's solid states are really good value in australia.

that would still leave him with $50 for a bass.

Edit: and that's how much a standard 4 set of EB strings are in Allan's.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Here's an idea: Get a cheap bass and a D.I. box, so at gigs he can go straight into the PA. Of course, that is if the venue has a PA in the first place.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by itachi-blaze
i got my bass for $500 AUD with Amp that is pretty good for gigs

that doesnt really help the TC much

As suggested run DI its a good way and will most likely take full advantage of the PA and would get you off the ground to start with.:P Not sure but you could possibly go Line 6 Pod's never really heard anything bad about them.Not entirely sure how they work though.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by itachi-blaze
i got my bass for $500 AUD with Amp that is pretty good for gigs

Well, aren't you special! Here's a cookie
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Aug 28, 2009,
SOLUTION:
Presonus TubePRE (Tube PREamplifier) - Or just a regular preamp, but this one is good.
Any +200w power amp (try any, even cheap ones)
Used cabinet. Best if you find a 2x10".

I think you can find something worth while. In Lithuania:
Tubepre 150 ausie dollars
Regular pre (not bad one) - 100 something
Power Amp (New, good one) 200w - 125 ausie dollars
Used cab - whatever you can get. I think you can get something playable for +200 ausie dollars.

But I think you should try to expand your budget, since it's litterally on the edge of being reasonable. I can get that setup + a 2x10" (New one) for ~600

EDIT: Oh snap! Remembered that he doesn't have a bass (blonde momment). For 600 ausie's you can get a RIG (Amp/Effects/cab) that should be CAPABLE of gigs. I REALLY suggest saving more money. For 400+ you can get a FAIRLY PLAYABLE bass. So without 1000 ausie's, I can't imagine a suffitiently playable live setup (Bass + rig). Heck, my simplest gigging gear setup is worth 2000 ausie's.
Last edited by nesveikuolis at Aug 28, 2009,