I'm currently using the ****ty beginner Vox Pathfinder 10W Amp, which cost me less than $45, and I realize that it's time to get something better. But I do not have much knowledge about amps, so can you guys help me ?

My budget will be about $350 top, and I'm content with the amount of loudness the 10W provide so maybe something 15W will do, I don't know if for $350 I can get some tube amp or just solid state one. If possible, I would love to have a tube amp . And please don't recommend Peavey Vypyr amps because as much as I like these amps, they are not available in my area (I'm in Japan now FYI).

Thank you all

PS: I'm looking at the Line 6 Spider 3 30W atm (don't flame yet, I know they're ****) but some reviewer said they're amazing (which is not likely) but I would like to hear your thoughts on this
Last edited by flyingblade at Aug 25, 2009,
Well my friend you have plenty of options. the Vox AC4, Fender Champ, Fender Super Champ XD (Tube Hybird with amp modeling), Epiphone Valve Junior. However before I continue I have to ask what styles are you playing?
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
I play metal for the most of time and some rock also, so I think it's good to get something metal
I had a Spider 3, 30watt. If you wanna play metal then I recomend one. The other settings are not as good but the're ok and good enough to be content with.
Then perhaps solid state might be best for you since you would have to crank the tube amp to get a good metal sound. However I'm not very good at identifying good metal tone, so I'll leave the question open. I think a Cube 30 would work for you but then again I'm not a metalhead, I'll let the metalheads suggest you some good amps.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
If you wanted a metal tone out of the Vox AC4, Fender Super/Vibro champ XD, then you would need an overdrive. HOWEVER, I would suggest the Blackstar HT-5. It's $399 but it's got enough gain on tap to do 80s metal. Speaking of which, what sort of metal are you going to play? Modern metal requires higher gain.

I would suggest you stay away from the Spider III and I am NOT jumping on the bandwagon here. I have tried a Spider III 120W myself and it is just...ugh. I thought I would try it out myself since everyone was flaming it and YES THEY ARE CORRECT. The sounds that come out of the SPider just sound so computerized and digital.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Last edited by HellBoy9393 at Aug 25, 2009,
that's news to me, I have always been thinking that tube amps is better for metal lol

I play mostly Metallica and the likes, will never touch anything like Children of Bodom though
Get an Ibanez Valbee
or a Vypyr 30
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by flyingblade
that's news to me, I have always been thinking that tube amps is better for metal lol

I play mostly Metallica and the likes, will never touch anything like Children of Bodom though

The HT-5 does Metallica just fine on it's own.

And Alf, he said don't suggest the Vypyr because it's not available where he is (Japan) . The ValBee is a good choice too but its 6.5" speaker is just....
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
The HT-5 does Metallica just fine on it's own.

And Alf, he said don't suggest the Vypyr because it's not available where he is (Japan) . The ValBee is a good choice too but its 6.5" speaker is just....

so cube 30x?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I've just ran a quick check on the HT-5, and looks like it's just 5W ???? ( correct me if I'm wrong), so are you sure that it will be loud enough ?
Quote by flyingblade
I've just ran a quick check on the HT-5, and looks like it's just 5W ???? ( correct me if I'm wrong), so are you sure that it will be loud enough ?

Are you going to gig? 5W tube is already very loud and definitely loud enough for home practice. I played a Vox AC4 at the store at the 1/4W (yes that is 0.25 OF A WATT) setting and cranked it. It was still able to give the other customers a reason to complain!

Besides, you know that tube amps have to be cranked to sound their best. Try cranking a 15W tube amp at home and you will know what i mean .
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

about gig, yes, I think I will do some in the future, not in front of a very big crowd though. Also, I've just seen the HT-5 head, any opinions ?
Quote by flyingblade
about gig, yes, I think I will do some in the future, not in front of a very big crowd though. Also, I've just seen the HT-5 head, any opinions ?

If the venues that you play gigs at has a PA system then you can just mic your amp up. Otherwise, the HT-5 will be too quiet.

I can't think of any decent amp less than 350 bucks which is giggable...Unless the Cube 30x will do...
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

The Blackstar is a bloody LOUD little thing. The stack is fine for gigging, you will ALWAYS mic it up anyway so there's no point in masses of power. The tone is fantastic for everything too
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
so maybe I'll get the Cube 30x, I've heard great things about it then use the rest of money to save for a Pod X3

Edit: I'm in a tie between the HT-5 and the Cube 30x now, can you tell me which 1 is better for metal ?
Quote by flyingblade
so maybe I'll get the Cube 30x, I've heard great things about it then use the rest of money to save for a Pod X3

Edit: I'm in a tie between the HT-5 and the Cube 30x now, can you tell me which 1 is better for metal ?

If you want to play Metallica the HT-5 is very much capable of doing so. I have not properly played around with the settings of the Cube before but I could imagine it could do even higher-gain metal like death metal/metal core. HOWEVER, it would sound nothing even CLOSE to the HT-5.

I say HT-5 just from sound clips I've heard.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon