Hey, I'm looking at getting a new guitar to put into a lower tuning, but I'm not sure of the string gauge I should use.

I want to put this guitar into Drop A / B standard.

Currently I have d'addario super lights in Drop C, so the tension is 65 lbs exactly.

To put that same tension on it, what string gauge should I use, and will it be able to be used in a floyd rose/edge without mods?

Thanks!
i am currently using B Standard tuning and I have 12s and it works pretty well...

although I am going to be restringing to probably a 13ish for a bit more clarity
Quote by mashizz
you could always get a 7 string set and discard the high E

I am looking for a regular guitar, not a 7 string.

I plan on putting the guitar into B standard, as I don't have any used 7 strings around my town
Quote by TheBigProjekt
I am looking for a regular guitar, not a 7 string.

I plan on putting the guitar into B standard, as I don't have any used 7 strings around my town

no that's not what i meant. i meant but a set of strings that go on a 7 string guitar and just string the lowest 6 on your guitar
Quote by mashizz
no that's not what i meant. i meant but a set of strings that go on a 7 string guitar and just string the lowest 6 on your guitar

Ahh, I misread that.

I guess I could do that, thanks!

EDIT: I could also just use the high e on my other guitar, too :P
Last edited by TheBigProjekt at Aug 25, 2009,
Wait why do you have super lights in Drop C?

sounds a bit light.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
if you are looking for a guitar to put into lower tunings i would say check out some baritone guitars cuz they are made for that...

also...a guitar with a thicker neck would be beneficial

i have my Washburn Dime Signature in B Standard and its perfect
26 inch scale length or more. 7 strings start at 26". so get a baritone 6 string with a 26.5 scale length and it will be perfect. 27" lets you go down to G safely without getting floppy. and you want heavy strings. lights just flop around.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.