Hi,

I just recently got what I need to record music onto my computer: MXL 990 mic and an M-audio Fast Track Pro.

I'm only missing one thing now: a decent recording amp.

I play rock, blues, jazz, some hard rock.
Since it's solely for recording, I'm guessing a 5-10 watt tube amp will be perfect.
I'm looking for something versatile, and that is pedal-friendly
My budget goes up to 400$; I'll be buying used.

I'm hesitating between 2 choices right now: Fender Vibrochamp XD or an Epiphone Valve Junior combo, which I will mod to my liking.

Which one do you think I should pick?
Or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks
+1 on the Vibro Champ. I have a Super Champ XD and an Epi Vjr head/cab. There is no comparison, the SCXD is far superior to the Vjr. Far as in light years, around the universe, and back again.
Vibrochamp, simply because you can run it direct if you have to for recording....AND epiphone is discontinuing the bulk of their amp line, and unless you're using a lot of pedals/effects there's not much to go on. Without any other setup, you've got 16 amp "voicings" and 16 effects built into the Vibrochamp, so it's the clear winner.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
My friend and I played the Superchamp XD and the Epiphone Valve Junior half stack, and I preferred the Epiphone, although the Vibrochamp XD isn't the Superchamp, so I don't know about the comparison between the two.

I liked the sound of the Epi Valve, so I would suggest that one.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
My friend and I played the Superchamp XD and the Epiphone Valve Junior half stack, and I preferred the Epiphone, although the Vibrochamp XD isn't the Superchamp, so I don't know about the comparison between the two.

I liked the sound of the Epi Valve, so I would suggest that one.

Superchamp = 15 watts vs 5 watts and a bigger speaker, but and has 2 power tubes vs the one in the vibrochamp. same preamp layout though.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Last edited by Demon_dave at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by Demon_dave
Superchamp = 15 watts vs 5 watts and a bigger speaker, but and has 2 power tubes vs the one in the vibrochamp. same preamp layout though.

Ahh, thanks.

Sorry TS, I haven't played the other one, I can't tell you which one would be better.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by ARguitars
Even a modded Valve Jr?
Who can say. I wouldn't take a modded Vjr over a SCXD. No matter what you do to it, there is no way you are going to get the range of tones that the SCXD has.

I preferred the Epiphone, although the Vibrochamp XD...
You're comparing an 8" speaker against a 12" cabinet. A 8" speaker might be for recording, but won't hold it's own against a 1x12 cab. Also there is no way that the Vjr is going to cover the same range of tones as the VCXD without adding pedals. In addition, it takes a bit of testing to get a grip on how to dial in the best tones from the 16 voices on the XD.