For the last few weeks I've been looking for a new guitar for christmas. I've been playing for about 7-8 years and right now I own a SG standard, faded SG, and an ephiphone dot. The faded SG is for heavier stuff, SG standard is my main guitar for basically everything, and I got the dot for clean stuff i play but i feel as if it lacks or somethings missing in it. So lately i've been looking at two different guitars to get a really good clean sound out of (ska, and reggae) , the es-335, exact same as the dot but alot nicer, or a telecaster, the only thing is, is that i play gibson and know nothing about fender guitars and what models i should be looking at. i play all my guitars through a jcm 2000. so i guess i'm asking which is a better for clean playing the es-335 or telecaster.
I think I would go with the 335, but that's just me. Tele's are gonna sound alot twangier, but you might like that. Go try them out, see which one sounds better.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
i've tried both out and they both are pretty sweet, minus the price tag on the es-335. any suggestions on any model of telecaster cause i think i've only been playing the lower-mid range quality ones, and i'm looking for a guitar that i can play for a very long time and not grow out of like i did the epiphone dot. thanks for the help thought biga29
Try dropping some humbucker sized P-90s (Gibson P-94, Seymour Duncan Phat Cat, GFS Mean 90, Bareknuckle Mississippi Queen etc...) into that Dot for sweeter cleans.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Well unless you just like the twangyness a tele offers, check out a '72 Thinline. The humbuckers give it a sound a little more to my liking...

The natural finish with the pearl pick gaurd doesn't look that bad either...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Last edited by biga29 at Aug 25, 2009,
with reggea you almost can't go wrong with a Tele, the best would be a Tele with bigger pick-ups than single coils. good luck with your search
thanks, i dont know much about pickups for as long as i've been playing. i play pretty much stock on my guitars besides my faded sg that has invaders in the bridge and jb 59's in the neck. i guess that could save me a lot of money going that route. i just feel like the dot has too much mids and bottom end and is lacking the cutting highs i really want, any pickups that could help me in particular?
Quote by rtbsmgsmf
thanks, i dont know much about pickups for as long as i've been playing. i play pretty much stock on my guitars besides my faded sg that has invaders in the bridge and jb 59's in the neck. i guess that could save me a lot of money going that route. i just feel like the dot has too much mids and bottom end and is lacking the cutting highs i really want, any pickups that could help me in particular?

By cutting highs, are you talking about playing clean? or with some other effect?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29
Well unless you just like the twangyness a tele offers, check out a '72 Thinline. The humbuckers give it a sound a little more to my liking...

The natural finish with the pearl pick gaurd doesn't look that bad either...

by twangyness do you mean like more highs than mids and lows? and i love the natural finish its the one finish i dont really have on any of my guitars haha

Quote by Mr.brownstone93
with reggea you almost can't go wrong with a Tele, the best would be a Tele with bigger pick-ups than single coils. good luck with your search

thats what i was thinking really, i just dont know what to look for at all, theres ones from USA, Japan, Mexico i dont really even know where to start. my parents know i'm really into music and dont mind dropping money for a christmas present but i just wanna make sure what i'm getting is worth the money. i can tell from playing whether i like it or not i just wanna avoid any common issues with a guitar that i might not notice on a few quick tests.

Quote by biga29
By cutting highs, are you talking about playing clean? or with some other effect?

just playing the clean channel on my amp thats it
Well it's not really highs... I don't know. Tele's are jsut known for this specific sound that everyone refers to as twang. Play one for two seconds and you hear it.

As for pickups, Im no good, I don't know that much. Best I can say is to just go try out some guitars with an amp simalar to yours and see which ones you like.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
I don't know how much money you can spend on it, but a fender telecaster custom would come pretty close I guess, or a telecaster deluxe. And if you have loads of money you could try out a fender telecaster hotrod.
i was looking to spend around $1200 at the most, i was looking around on ebay for some deals on the es-335 cause its $2200 new at all the stores around me. i dont mind getting used stuff as long as it was taken care of, actually i'd rather get it used. Usually cheaper and gives the instrument to get a little character from over the years.