I've been looking at Orange cabs for a while now and I've decided to go for a 212, but there's two different cabs in their 212 range - a closed back and an open back; the closed back costing £438 and the open back costing £291. The cabs use the same speakers: two Celestion Vintage 30s, so why the big price difference?

So should I save money and get the open-back version? I hear closed back gives a better bass response and is better for the type of music I play (blues, classic rock, metal) but would this difference be worth the extra £147?
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
you could close the cab your self with some plywood
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Quote by Yerjam
I've been looking at Orange cabs for a while now and I've decided to go for a 212, but there's two different cabs in their 212 range - a closed back and an open back; the closed back costing £438 and the open back costing £291. The cabs use the same speakers: two Celestion Vintage 30s, so why the big price difference?

So should I save money and get the open-back version? I hear closed back gives a better bass response and is better for the type of music I play (blues, classic rock, metal) but would this difference be worth the extra £147?

Only you can decide if it's worth it.

Can you go and try them out, find out which one you prefer, then if it's worth the extra price?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by Winman9999
you could close the cab your self with some plywood

Don't do this...

It has a better sound yes, but in my opinion not worth the money if you're not that rich
Quote by Antis0cial
Don't do this...
rich

why not. closing the back= blocking the back with a plywood or birch-wood panel.
Quote by kckyle
why not. closing the back= blocking the back with a plywood or birch-wood panel.

because not done proffesionaly can cause the plywood to vibrate and resonate in a bad way.

Also plywood uses multiple stacks ofw ood glued together, glue is bad for your tone, the lots of amounts of air that some plywood have will make the tone less bassier. and an uneven amount of wooden plates used can also result in bad tone.

Plywood can be used for a decent sound, but it's a lot more complicated then it may seem
heres some info about open back vs. closed back cabs just in case http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Tone%20Tips_%20Speaker%20Cabinets/
i like orange and all but £147 for a piece of plywood screwed to the back of your cab is just theft...
i guess its stupid advice but if you decide to buy the open back version just buy a matching peace of plywood and ducktape it to the the cab an see how it sounds. if its good screw it on (you can always take it off), if not well then no harm done.
I'm not a bad handyman, but buying the cheaper cabinet and making it closed back is a no for the reasons Antis0cial just said. It's either one cab or the other, I don't want to have to start modding things.

I've yet to try these particular cabs out, but I have tried open back and closed back combos out before, and I generally prefer the sound of the closed backs; not entirely sure why though.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Antis0cial
because not done proffesionaly can cause the plywood to vibrate and resonate in a bad way.

Also plywood uses multiple stacks ofw ood glued together, glue is bad for your tone, the lots of amounts of air that some plywood have will make the tone less bassier. and an uneven amount of wooden plates used can also result in bad tone.

Plywood can be used for a decent sound, but it's a lot more complicated then it may seem

What do you think cabs are made out of!??
Quote by i_am_metalhead

What do you think cabs are made out of!??

Did I say Plywood sucked?? No I didn't but the plywood they are using is not your average do-it-yourself Plywood, and it certainly isn't put on those cabinets in such a manner.
I think you would be surprised at just how thick and and bassy a partially open back cab can be.
The open back can really fill out a room, and your tone.
Closed back cabs are great, I use them, but they're more necessary for fast high gain metal where you need that fast tight response. Both cabs will sound great either way though IMO.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Antis0cial
Did I say Plywood sucked?? No I didn't but the plywood they are using is not your average do-it-yourself Plywood, and it certainly isn't put on those cabinets in such a manner.

The cab manufacturers usually use birch plywood, which is easily available at decent quality. I bet most cabinet makers don't even design their cabs acoustically, its more down to chance.

TS, If you are thinking of buying the open back then closing it up, I would recommend that you consider building the entire cab yourself. It would be difficult to close up an open back cab nicely without re-covering the whole thing. Might as well start from scratch.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by Antis0cial

How it's put on isn't really gonna make a difference, as long as it's secure...
You play classic rock and metal....

Get the closed back.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by Antis0cial

Most cabs are made from 13-ply birch which is can be easily found at your local hardware/lumber store.

Also, closing an open back cab isn't an ancient art that you have to perfect. There really isn't a "wrong" way to do it. The placement of the components inside the cab affect your tone more than the enclosure itself does.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

Most cabs are made from 13-ply birch which is can be easily found at your local hardware/lumber store.

Also, closing an open back cab isn't an ancient art that you have to perfect. There really isn't a "wrong" way to do it. The placement of the components inside the cab affect your tone more than the enclosure itself does.

There isn't a single store around here that sells 13-ply birch. and yes the compenents are way more important. But there are A LOT of wrong ways to do it.
ANtisocial is right guys. You dont just screw a piece of plywood into an open back cab and make it sound better. 99.9% chance that it will sound worse.
And yes, cab builders engeneer their cabs. They put ALOT of research in it. How do I know? I personally know a local custom cab builder. If he's not building or researching, he is:
- sleeping
- making love
- creating a huge turd
- eating

Believe me, you dont 'just' build a good cab 'by accident'.

*EDIT* if you want to know who i was talking about:
http://www.freeqi.be/
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Aug 25, 2009,
UG never ceases to amaze me...

Anyways, the 212-OB is considerably smaller than the regular 212. If you were hoping to screw a sheet of birch plywood to the back of the 212-OB and achieve the same tone as the regular 212, but for less money, you're going to be disappointed. You need the extra air-space afforded by the larger cab on the 212 to make the entire sealed thing work properly.

You could always look for a cab from another manufacturer if money is an issue. Since the V30s are making up the majority of your tone anyways you could always get something like the Harley Benton 2x12 (which is loaded with 2 V30s) for considerably less than the Orange.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
UG never ceases to amaze me...

Anyways, the 212-OB is considerably smaller than the regular 212. If you were hoping to screw a sheet of birch plywood to the back of the 212-OB and achieve the same tone as the regular 212, but for less money, you're going to be disappointed. You need the extra air-space afforded by the larger cab on the 212 to make the entire sealed thing work properly.

You could always look for a cab from another manufacturer if money is an issue. Since the V30s are making up the majority of your tone anyways you could always get something like the Harley Benton 2x12 (which is loaded with 2 V30s) for considerably less than the Orange.

Although it wouldn't be as effective as a proper closed back, closing an OB will add a good bit of bass response - I did it to an old Peavey combo I use to have.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Although it wouldn't be as effective as a proper closed back, closing an OB will add a good bit of bass response - I did it to an old Peavey combo I use to have.
I'm going to point out that a Peavey combo doesn't = an Orange speaker cab.

You'll gain response (in the case of the 212-OB) but lose range. The OB just isn't a big enough cab. If it was, Orange would probably use the same dimensions for their closed back stuff.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...