Hey, I have been learning C dominant Diatonic Chord scale based on C mixolydian which i think is:

C7 C11 C7(next invesion up) C11 (next inversion up) C9 C13 C11(another inversion) C9(final inversion)

But what confuses me is, if each chord is a note on the scale... why isnt the second chord a Dm? As the second note on C mixolydian, would then be root of D aeolian, im really confused here!!!

Can some one explain these diatonic scales and why its not following the same chords that each mode would be representing ?

Because from my learnigns of modes, each note is the root of a mode in the same key and each mode has their own chord to match... :S

Help !
Quote by thefollower
Hey, I have been learning C dominant Diatonic Chord scale based on C mixolydian which i think is:

C7 C11 C7(next invesion up) C11 (next inversion up) C9 C13 C11(another inversion) C9(final inversion)

But what confuses me is, if each chord is a note on the scale... why isnt the second chord a Dm? As the second note on C mixolydian, would then be root of D aeolian, im really confused here!!!

Can some one explain these diatonic scales and why its not following the same chords that each mode would be representing ?

Because from my learnigns of modes, each note is the root of a mode in the same key and each mode has their own chord to match... :S

Help !

Do you mean that you're trying to harmonize the C Mixolydian mode/scale?

at the triad level its: C Dm Edim F Gm Am Bb

For added tone chords, 7th chords & extensions try this chart..

http://www.discoverguitaronline.com/images/view/49
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 25, 2009,
Well i was given this C dominant chord scale and don't get why its not following the same a scale of C mixoldyian would in terms of the second note of the scale is D so shouldn't the second chord in the scale be a D minor?

Im confused by what these diatonic chords mean.
Quote by thefollower
Well i was given this C dominant chord scale and don't get why its not following the same a scale of C mixoldyian would in terms of the second note of the scale is D so shouldn't the second chord in the scale be a D minor?

Im confused by what these diatonic chords mean.

Yes, it would be D minor.

Where are you getting this "C dominant chord scale" idea from? it's possible there is a mistake, especially if you're getting it online.
shred is gaudy music
Sounds like you're mixing two things together. If you were doing diatonic CHORDS, then yes, you're next chord would be Dm which is in fact Aeolian mode. If you were just doing a diatonic SCALE, then you would be just playing up the scale.

If you are starting on C7, then going up the mixolydian scale based off that chord (which it sounds like you might), then you are in fact not playing a scale, but the different combinations of a C7 chord and it's extensions. In this case, you're basing everything around a C7, so if you have a D in the bass, that's just the 9th for a bass note.

If I am wrong, please let me know. But please clarify a little better.
Paint your picture on silence.
Last edited by Arslaboressolis at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by Arslaboressolis
Sounds like you're mixing two things together. If you were doing diatonic CHORDS, then yes, you're next chord would be Dm which is in fact Aeolian mode. If you were just doing a diatonic SCALE, then you would be just playing up the scale.

If you are starting on C7, then going up the mixolydian scale based off that chord (which it sounds like you might), then you are in fact not playing a scale, but the different combinations of C7 of chords you can have and it's extensions. In this case, you're basing everything around a C7, so if you have a D in the bass, that's just the 9th for a bass note.

If I am wrong, please let me know. But please clarify a little better.

If you harmonize C mixolydian, your 2nd chord is dm....it really has nothing to do with Aeolian in this context.

If you start on C7 and harmonize each step likewise, you are only playing C7 on the 1st chord..... the others will be according to the root note.... Dm7 - E halfdim7 - F Maj 7 ... and so on.
shred is gaudy music
Well if the second harmonized chord is Dminor how come this chord scale i have,the second chord is a C11.

See image below to see what im learning:

Picture

This is what confuses me as to why the second chord is not Dminor
Quote by thefollower
Well if the second harmonized chord is Dminor how come this chord scale i have,the second chord is a C11.

See image below to see what im learning:

Picture

This is what confuses me as to why the second chord is not Dminor

Its because it's not harmonizing the Mixolydian scale.

It looks like it's trying to show you how to play a melodic line with all C dom chords. That on its own doesn't do the trick, buy maybe there is a larger context thats missing.

As is, I would call it random voicings for C dom chords.

There must be some associated lesson with that page, I would recommend studying that.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by thefollower
I'm even more confused now :P

A good reason to abandon it and work on something else.

What was your goal in studying that?
shred is gaudy music
Those seem to me to be diff extensions or voicings of C Dominant as they are all C and all Contain a Dominant 7th
I dont see where the "Chord scale" comes into play here
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Record him while he's playing secretly and then tell him that some other guy wants to join and he sent a recording.

When your friend says, "Man, this guys sucks", tell him, "It's you, dumbass"
Last edited by standupnfall at Aug 25, 2009,
Well when i play chord one and hit note 1 on the C mixolydian and follow that on each chord so the C11 and 2nd note of C mixolydian, they seem to go together.

So are you saying these chords are just voicings that work well under C mixolydian?
Quote by thefollower
Well when i play chord one and hit note 1 on the C mixolydian and follow that on each chord so the C11 and 2nd note of C mixolydian, they seem to go together.

So are you saying these chords are just voicings that work well under C mixolydian?

They are all C dominant chords, they work well for C dominant chords, not necessarily over every chord that occurs in the mixolydian mode/scale. They could function over some other chords, but I don't believe that's what your after here..... and if you don't understand why it's not really going to help you.

Again, what is the context of that page? Is it a whole book like that? Is there an accompanying lesson that puts that page into perspective?
shred is gaudy music
It was for improvising more in chords to compliment my improvisations on scales... aka if i improvise i want to be able to bang out lots of chords too.
Then you do it the other way round - you start with a chord progression.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by thefollower
It was for improvising more in chords to compliment my improvisations on scales... aka if i improvise i want to be able to bang out lots of chords too.

I see. Well knowing some different voicings would give you more to work with in that department.
shred is gaudy music