I was looking for a cheap recording device on musician's friend.com and this was the closest sounding thing I could afford. I'm still really new to this area of music, so I was wondering if this could record or not. I don't yet want the mixer part, I just need something under about $70 that can record a few melodies/chord progressions and put them on my computer without ruining the sound quality (all I've got so far is a record function on an mp3 player that's honestly pretty horrible.) Any help would be greatly appreciated!
This is a mixer. It doesn't record.

You need an audio interface. If you've got a pod or an amp with line outs you can use the UCA202, if you want to mic your amp then SM57 and some mic-capable interface is the way to go.

How are you planning to record exactly?
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Ok, thanks. I'm glad I didn't just buy it without asking first. Honestly, I've got no clue what I'm doing here, I just want to be able to record some simple tracks and somehow get them onto my computer. Ideally I'd prefer to plug my guitar/amp into something instead of using a microphone because I've got pretty constant background noise that would get in the way. I don't think my amp could do it though, because it's cheap (music on a budget) and only has 'input', 'audio in', and 'headphones' jacks. If I did try to mic it, would the mic plug right into my computer, or would I need something extra?
You'd need a decent mic and something like this to record UNLESS you get a USB mic (but I can't comment on the quality). You can get the much-loved SM57 bundles with something called the x2u I think, which is basically all you need to mic the amp.

However I think you're wise to go the amp simulator route. You can buy multi-FX pedals from Line6 and Zoom that do the whole amp sim thing, some even have an interface so you canplug them direct into the PC (not all though, tell me which you're looking at and I'll tell you if it'll record direct) but I'll stop there because I haven't much experience with these. Hopefully someone else can help you out there.

So to recap its:
Mic > interface > PC
Guitar > amp sim > interface > PC
or
Guitar > amp sim > PC
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
I use a Eurorack 1002FX as my recording interface. I find its great for dropping tracks into Audacity or similar and the extra control is perfect whether I DI my FX pedal in or mic my amp. I chose it as my wife sings and plays flute, so decent control and 'live' effects are required. Sound quality on mine is excellent, though some users have reported earthing buzz.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x