Page 1 of 6
Right, I have a compositional "challenge" of sorts. Challenge in " " because its more about having fun, being a teaser if you will, than actually composing a complete piece. So this is what it entails....

I compose the first 16 bars, then you have 16 bars to compose something. The first 16 bars you solo over, the next 16 bars you compose for the next guy to solo over. The only thing consistent would be the drums, which is ezdrummer so its not difficult, (though I might throw in a 7/8 or 9/8 section). Basically you just have to edit within your DAW as I'll supply the drum loop for you to add your composition to. On second thought, I'll give you a 4/4 track and an odd meter track so you can decide which you choose to compose over for the next poor sod. The trick is to have it flow from the one piece to the next, without it necessarily being in the same key. This could be tricky but I think well worth it as well as a collaborative effort. The result will be teamwork.

An idea is that whomever signs up, can lay the challenge for whomever they wish... for example, hypothetically, GuitarMunky can lay the challenge for Archeo, and Archeo can then challenge Freepower, and Freepower can challenge Zhilla.... blah blah blah...

Anyway, open for discussion.

Ps: when i have the drum ideas up, you can start composing while waiting for your challenge to arrive. And when I have something sorted, within a day or two, we can let the fun begin. I just need to know who's all in.

***RULES***

* If you are not able to play with it, you may pass it on to someone else, but its best to challenge yourself nonetheless

* You can be as mean as you want to be or you can play with kindness. It doesn't matter, as long as it's not atonal avant-garde bullpoop!!!

* If you want to solo over someone elses challenge, you are more than welcome to... just add it as a seperate download to your challenge

* You have to use at least 2 of the drum tracks from round 1 before moving on to round 2

****ROUND 1 The three midi tracks are up; the funky and progressive are 4/4 based, and the 9-8, well, 9/8... lol. They are all 8 bars, pick yourself 1 or 2 and happy challenging. 120bpm.
The mp3 tracks of the above are kept here in the drum trax box: http://www.box.net/shared/ses1oq8erm

ROUND 2: Three more tracks to whet your appetite with...
* Glitter n makeup
* Experimental
* Shake it up

Signed up for torture thus far and each having their own box:

1. KoenDercksen
2. Zhilla
3. ramm_ty
4. steven_seagull (birdman)
5. guitarmunky
6. branny
7. mdc
8. Rockuaway
9. Ead
10. Darren
11. isaac_bandits
12. Archeo Avis

CHALLENGE
1. Birdman by evo
2. mdc, Zhilla and Koen by evo
3. koen, evo and darren by mdc
4. GuitarMunky by ead
5. ramm_ty and branny by evo

PS: These challenges are there to break your comfort zone. Remember that. Push yourself into other avenues you may not have thought of prior to the challenge.
If you are challenged, do your best to make it authentic!!!

***We are also all here to learn from each other ***
Attachments:
9-8.mid
funky.mid
progressive.mid
round 2.zip
Last edited by evolucian at Sep 13, 2009,
Cool - I'm in

Edit: First stupid question - what does DAW stand for?
Last edited by zhilla at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by zhilla
Cool - I'm in

Edit: First stupid question - what does DAW stand for?
Digital Audio Workstation? That's what it is, anyway. Dunno if I've got the right words
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by ramm_ty
Digital Audio Workstation? That's what it is, anyway. Dunno if I've got the right words
2nd stupid question - whats one of them? Does it just mean recording software?
Yeah, its yr recording software... unless you have an old roland virtual recorder lying around, with 4 tracks and 16! virtual tracks... oooooh! Technology rules!!

ramm... you in?
Last edited by evolucian at Aug 25, 2009,
Sure! Might as well try...seeing as I've already made a useless post in here. Not much of a composer though.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by ramm_ty
Sure! Might as well try...seeing as I've already made a useless post in here. Not much of a composer though.

Cool, just have some fun bro...
lol yeah, if you're not much of a composer you're in good company I'm just aiming to have fun and learn something, and woe betide whoever has to listen to my...erm...creation
Go on, count me in...I've got a couple of days off this week, what's the timeframe?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
cool, ta steven... there's no real timeframe. This could go on for however long it can...

Koen, as clear as possible would be nice, otherwise send me an mp3 of your sole track and I'll try clean it up as nice as possible.

Havent been home to much to lay the track... I'll work on it quickly though...

Quick question, would you like the drum track in midi format or mp3?
Last edited by evolucian at Aug 27, 2009,
Cool GM, and ta

Remember guys, this is just the drum track...

Going on time, I'll probably have something up in an hour or so... pls tell me if it must be midi or mp3 for the drum tracks
The simple way to make it flow to the next piece is to make yours atonal. That way it takes on the first note of the next piece as the tonic almost instantly. Bonus points if the next writer doesn't start on their tonic -- that way, yours sounds great and theirs sounds like poo. However, this would require you to actually be able to compose something that's atonal.

I'm not in because I can't record. I look forward to the results anyway.
yeah branny, but while you wait you can compose yours anyway and then challenge some poor sucker, hehehe...

Eastwinn, i understand what you are saying... what I meant was making one big heap of flying elephant crap and wanting someone else to make sense of it and soloing on top of it. Fair is fair I guess, it is challenging in the end... (I slightly added a word to the first post... should add the restriction correctly ) Can't you use audacity to record basically?

OK guys, I've added the midi tracks and links to the first post... have fun

PS: if it seems no-one is getting a fair go at being challenged at all (ie: no one selected you), I'll be so kind and accomodate in my spastic writing style, lol. Challenge and be merry
Oh woops, I misinterpreted this. Somehow I missed the part where you mentioned that you write the next 16 bars for the next person to solo over. Now this makes more sense. Also, I don't have a good microphone. I wish I did. Suggestions are welcome by PM, of course, but don't plan on me having one in time to participate
Sorry guys, forgot to mention its at 120bpm...

Also, if you can pm me yr email, I can add you as a collaborator to the box so you can add your files in that one
Ok, *signed in* on the forum page since you asked nicely evo

So we can pick 2 drum tracks? Do we have to use both, or just 1 for the whole 16 bars?
After reading on boxnet for a while, I think you need an account (which is free), although i sent the links to your email... I'm not sure how it works so i'm just guessing. I reckon if we share the folder we can at least bundle the tracks together... anyways, pls let me know if you are able to add to the box. I think i'll only have a track for you on sunday... which is yr saturday (in a way)
right lovely people. I added a track, its the challenge for mark the birdman. Anyone can solo over it if they wish. No one's added one yet so I thought i'd get it started.

16 Bars of the progressive drum track, its a feelgood track... no funny sh!t. Relax and feel the vibe... the only drawback is... its only 16 bars .... would have been cool if it was longer, but rules are rules... The chords are simple: Bmadd9, Dadd9 and A.

Enjoy, looking forward to the result.

Thanks for joining Ead, pls pm me your email and we can start on the sharing of tracks for this
Last edited by evolucian at Aug 29, 2009,
lucky me lol

I'm working tomorrow but off on Monday so will sort something out then
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

OI!! Where's the pieces? Alrighty then... Zhilla and MDC and Koen... you are up... a nice offbeat funk for ya cos I love you guys *giggle*

I know you've done one koen, post it bro

Moistly focused on C9, final chord F9
Last edited by evolucian at Aug 30, 2009,
Cheers evo, just downloaded your funky one. I'm totally new to this whole recording and uploading tracks stuff tho man lol.

I've got a track done, where's the best place to upload it? Boxnet where your stuff is or....?

...and where does everyone else stick their tracks up? I guess there's loadsa sites?

I'll decide who to challenge once it's uploaded.
I know, I'm slacking...it's harder than it sounds
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

mdc, send me yr email and open a boxnet account (its free)... then we can share the folder (their fancy word is collaborate, lol) and I'll link you to it.

Cmon birdman, its 16 bars, hehe... yoo can do eet
I can't do anything til tomorrow night - I'll give it a go then...
Ok man. I think I've done it. Here we go... http://www.box.net/shared/f081ih90dh

This my first ever recording so I hope all the levels for the instruments are ok.

It's kinda fusiony progression I guess? I keeps changing key so a little tricky.

First 8 bars Am11 // Cm11 // Ebm11 // D7#11 / C#m7 / Bm7 / E7b9
Last 8 bars Am7 // Bbmaj7 // Am6 // Bbmaj7 / Bm7sharp5 / E7b9

Challenges go to Evo and Koen. Have fun!

PS Evo, sent you a PM.

Right I gotta go, internet cafe is costing me a fortune and I'm pretty close to getting a parking ticket! So bak in tomoz. Laterz.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 1, 2009,
I will join.

When do I record.

EDIT;

^I'm dying to record a solo over that.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 1, 2009,
cool darren, you can solo over anything you want. Join to my box so you can share the folder and challenge anyone Branny, Ead, ramm_ty and Munky haven't been challenged yet... so write something darren...
Last edited by evolucian at Sep 1, 2009,
I wanna make sure I understand where this is going.. are we all following one track and building off of it? like first guy solos, challenges another guy and he does the same and so on?
Quote by Ead
I wanna make sure I understand where this is going.. are we all following one track and building off of it? like first guy solos, challenges another guy and he does the same and so on?

nah, you can write whatever you feel like. At the end of it all I'll try make something of it and splice em together. It would be cool if you can write something following on but its not necessary. Although, to follow on requires a bigger challenge and thats for you to decide
ok cool I thought it was a one at a time deal for some reason.. that woulda been cool cause then the pressure's really on lol. In this case I'll start something tonight then
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I will join.

When do I record.

EDIT;

^I'm dying to record a solo over that.

Sure bud, I'll add you to my list of challengers then. Go for it!

Evo, just had a crack at your funky one challenge and uploaded it in my profile. Wow, my first ever recording in my profile! Lol, what a noob.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 2, 2009,