Page 1 of 2
hey UG sorry for this crappy question

whats hte best epiphone or gibson les paul for £800, the studio is the only gibson i could afford so is there a big difference in quality between that and the custom (i could do new pups in the custom) oh btw im lefty

thanks
Quote by cainmd
do not buy an epiphone

Dont listen to this guy.

A high end Epiphone (One for £800) is much better than a Gibson studio.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
getting new amp with it, choosing a guitar then trying out new ampswith new guitar (i dont want a SS amp if i get active pickups etc) basicly its the best rock/metal tone and quality. ive got a few in mind but since im lefty i have to get hte shop to order them in so iwant a good choice and a gibson or epiphone for me is a must.
Quote by Oosh.
Dont listen to this guy.

epiphones dont go that high
How much do you plan on spending on the amp?
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by cainmd
do not buy an epiphone

Why not? You can't just say things and not back them up. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Epiphone guitars. My Dot is fantastic.

TS I've heard that the high end Epiphones are better than low end Gibsons, but I have no idea how true this is. The lead guitarist in my band has a studio and it's a nice guitar. But I've never tried a high end Epiphone.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by Archieisted
epiphones dont go that high

Just guessing, dont know about epiphone prices, but same goes to what i said.

The Epiphone Les Paul custom (I think) is better than a gibby studio.

Have a look at the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra (?) series. Very good guitars.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by Sampy
Why not? You can't just say things and not back them up. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Epiphone guitars. My Dot is fantastic.

TS I've heard that the high end Epiphones are better than low end Gibsons, but I have no idea how true this is. The lead guitarist in my band has a studio and it's a nice guitar. But I've never tried a high end Epiphone.

thank you all

ill probs just ask them to the custom in thats hte best looking epiphone IMO lol
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
why go for just a les paul?
there are alot of other berands that make really good guitars(lefty too) for alot cheaper than gibson
Quote by XChainsawGorgeX
why go for just a les paul?
there are alot of other berands that make really good guitars(lefty too) for alot cheaper than gibson

i am, im gonna ask for htem to get in about 5 but i cant just show up it has to be planned so i want as much choice as i can get
Quote by Archieisted
getting new amp with it, choosing a guitar then trying out new ampswith new guitar (i dont want a SS amp if i get active pickups etc) basicly its the best rock/metal tone and quality. ive got a few in mind but since im lefty i have to get hte shop to order them in so iwant a good choice and a gibson or epiphone for me is a must.

I would honestly go for an esp LTD ec-401vf over both to tell you the truth or a schecter solo-6. But out of the two I would go with the epiphone and change the pickups to good ones. I used to own and Epi les paul classic and found it to be a pretty good value.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by Slanderous666
I would honestly go for an esp LTD ec-401vf over both to tell you the truth or a schecter solo-6. But out of the two I would go with the epiphone and change the pickups to good ones. I used to own and Epi les paul classic and found it to be a pretty good value.

i agree
Quote by Slanderous666

that model doesnt come left handed but im looking at hte ESP LTD EC1000, the schecter blackjack C1 FR and some others
Quote by Archieisted
that model doesnt come left handed but im looking at hte ESP LTD EC1000, the schecter blackjack C1 FR and some others

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Schecter-Hellraiser-Solo-6-String-Lefty-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ330310385813QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4ce8088095&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Both guitars feel as though they made like tanks imo.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Shame more guitars aren't made with left handed versions, because it really limits you...

You're in luck though, because Epiphone do make their Lp Standard left-handed. A lot of the American users will warn you away from Epiphone - and with good reason, the quality control on the Epis that are solid in America blows - but being in the UK, you don't need to worry about that so much. The QC we get is much better than the QC for America.
Though oddly, we get better QC for Epi models, but our Gibsons have just as bad QC as the Gibsons made for America. Strange.

Anyway, your best bet for value is going to be either an Epiphone LP Standard or Vintage V100/V100 Lemon Drop, then spend your excess money on a really great amp, or pickup upgrades on the guitars.
There's no actual difference in quality between the Epi LP Standard and the Vintage V100, it's just with the Epi you're paying more for the 'real' body shape, while the Vintage, since it's a copy brand, has a slightly sharper cut away 'horn'.
The V100 Lemon Drop is mostly the same as the V100/Epi Standard, only it comes in a worn yellow finish and it's wired so that the pickups are out of phase when you select the middle position (both pickups together). It's just an interesting, different tone.

As far as the Gibsons go, you could maybe find a used mid-90's GIbson Studio in the £800 range that would be worth buying. Don't bother looking at new Studios, it could be months before you find a good one.
You might also be able to find a used Epiphone Elitist for around £800 too. This will be the best quality-wise, but they rarely come up used at all, let alone left handed ones.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
if you do get an epi, change the nut. tuning problems are horrible but all i did was pop on a graphite nut and BAM...amazing guitar that'll whoop a gibby studios rear end!
Tokai, and other good Japanese copies.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Can i ask why you want a Epiphone or Gibson?

Quote by Archieisted

If you already have an amp which will most likely be a solid state amp you should be looking to upgrade that before anything. How about you post what you want out of the guitar and we try and give you a suitable guitar because I don't want to sound mean but you don't seem to know about guitars and you just want a Gibson/ Epiphone for it's name.

Tell us what sound you want, if you want any specific specifications (24 fret, maple neck etc), price range, your current amp/ what amp you would be looking into. If you are a little more clear you might find something better than what you were looking at.
Manchester United
Last edited by Shabalaba at Aug 26, 2009,
Without trying to thread highjack i have a couple of questions i was going to ask on a similar topic are epi lp customs a better investment than the gib studios or does the quality just differ from guitar to guitar.

Also with the tokai love rocks are there any models in particular that are worth keeping an eye out for?
Last edited by MisterSinister at Aug 26, 2009,
The standard rule is high end Epiphones are better than low end Gibsons but the price difference between the custom and the studio is about £200 so the Gibson stands a good chance of being better.
Manchester United
Quote by Shabalaba
Can i ask why you want a Epiphone or Gibson?

If you already have an amp which will most likely be a solid state amp you should be looking to upgrade that before anything. How about you post what you want out of the guitar and we try and give you a suitable guitar because I don't want to sound mean but you don't seem to know about guitars and you just want a Gibson/ Epiphone for it's name.

Tell us what sound you want, if you want any specific specifications (24 fret, maple neck etc), price range, your current amp/ what amp you would be looking into. If you are a little more clear you might find something better than what you were looking at.

*sigh* ive already said this if u read im buying a new guitar and a new amp, im choosing the guitar 1st so i can try new amp with hte new guitar, i already have a list os guitars im going to try but i also want a epiphone or gibson to try out aswell. The reasons i need to know before hand is because the shop needs to order in lefties for me
Quote by Archieisted
*sigh* ive already said this if u read im buying a new guitar and a new amp, im choosing the guitar 1st so i can try new amp with hte new guitar, i already have a list os guitars im going to try but i also want a epiphone or gibson to try out aswell. The reasons i need to know before hand is because the shop needs to order in lefties for me

I did read the part about you buying a guitar first but your going into this whole thing without any thought of what amp you want? As your amp is most of your sound which is just common sense, the guitar will not have a huge effect.

You should have an idea of what amp you want as your guitar makes such a small proportion of your sound is all I am saying.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epiphone-tonni-iommi-sg/9550

That is a right hander but Tony Iommi is a lefty so i would imagine they make a lefty no?

EDIT: You haven't said what other guitars you have on your list, what are they? You also said you want a Epiphone or Gibson on your list and the only reason why I can see is you want a few different makes expecting the different makes to be totally different, you can get totally different guitars within the same make.
And why is this shop going to order these guitars for you to try? Most shops wouldn't order in a list of guitars so you could try them see if you like them, especially not in this economical climate =/
Manchester United
Last edited by Shabalaba at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by Shabalaba
I did read the part about you buying a guitar first but your going into this whole thing without any thought of what amp you want? As your amp is most of your sound which is just common sense, the guitar will not have a huge effect.

You should have an idea of what amp you want as your guitar makes such a small proportion of your sound is all I am saying.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epiphone-tonni-iommi-sg/9550

That is a right hander but Tony Iommi is a lefty so i would imagine they make a lefty no?

EDIT: You haven't said what other guitars you have on your list, what are they? You also said you want a Epiphone or Gibson on your list and the only reason why I can see is you want a few different makes expecting the different makes to be totally different, you can get totally different guitars within the same make.
And why is this shop going to order these guitars for you to try? Most shops wouldn't order in a list of guitars so you could try them see if you like them, especially not in this economical climate =/

*super sigh* the shop in question will i have asked, secound i will buy the amp and guitar at the same time but i will choose a guitar 1st because i dont want to pick a great amp and hten find the only giutar that sounds good with it is hte one that feels **** to play, i pick a nice playable guitar then a great sounding amp
Quote by Archieisted
*super sigh* the shop in question will i have asked, secound i will buy the amp and guitar at the same time but i will choose a guitar 1st because i dont want to pick a great amp and hten find the only giutar that sounds good with it is hte one that feels **** to play, i pick a nice playable guitar then a great sounding amp

Super sigh

Here is an example.
If you play an Ibanez GRG170 through an Engl Fireball it would sound great, I haven't but I promise you it would, I personally don't mind the neck on that model even if it is cheap. If you play a Ibanez RG2550Z through a Squier SP-10 amp it would sound **** but play nicely.

As long as the guitars aren't too different, for example a strat and a LP, your sound should be similar, not the same but very similar. Pick which ever guitar feels the nicest to you and if the amp is good then you should be fine.

You still haven't shown us your list of guitars
Manchester United
I would always go for the amp first.

A great amp will make an entry level guitar sound great.

But I understand your logic. It seems like you want to buy the guitar and then find the amp that brings out its characteristics the best. That is a good idea.

However...the budget of the amp will come into question. How much do you want to spend on the amp? If you give us that info..we can try to get you the biggest bang for your buck.

I just got that epiphone Studio deluxe deal from MF. and it sounds fantastic.

I know the Epiphone name sounds like a joke to many players, but I have a secret weapon.
BARE KNUCKLE PICKUPS!!!

Drop a set of these into a well crafted epi lp with a set neck and you can embarass ANY Gibson player around with a Standard (Stock).

I will stand behind those words ALL DAY!
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
I would always go for the amp first.

A great amp will make an entry level guitar sound great.

But I understand your logic. It seems like you want to buy the guitar and then find the amp that brings out its characteristics the best. That is a good idea.

However...the budget of the amp will come into question. How much do you want to spend on the amp? If you give us that info..we can try to get you the biggest bang for your buck.

I just got that epiphone Studio deluxe deal from MF. and it sounds fantastic.

I know the Epiphone name sounds like a joke to many players, but I have a secret weapon.
BARE KNUCKLE PICKUPS!!!

Drop a set of these into a well crafted epi lp with a set neck and you can embarass ANY Gibson player around with a Standard (Stock).

I will stand behind those words ALL DAY!

thank you, finally some1 who get it. im generally looking at about a £500 amp
Quote by Archieisted
thank you, finally some1 who get it. im generally looking at about a £500 amp

I think if your buying the amp and the guitar at the same time pretty much it would be silly not to use the guitar your purchasing. I mean the amp creates 60% of your tone or more but really theres a reason why when you want to try an amp out you search the music store for the guitar that is closest to yours at home. Many things on a guitar can make subtle or large differences in tone. Woods, pickups,metals used in parts, strings, laquers, style of bridge etc. I would stil lsay go for the schecter or the LTD and for the amp a bugera is very versatile.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
I think if your buying the amp and the guitar at the same time pretty much it would be silly not to use the guitar your purchasing. I mean the amp creates 60% of your tone or more but really theres a reason why when you want to try an amp out you search the music store for the guitar that is closest to yours at home. Many things on a guitar can make subtle or large differences in tone. Woods, pickups,metals used in parts, strings, laquers, style of bridge etc. I would stil lsay go for the schecter or the LTD and for the amp a bugera is very versatile.

thats what imgoing for, and also i would rather build a tone around comfort than comfort around tone, but that just me
Quote by Oosh.
Dont listen to this guy.

really dont listen to that guy lol. meybe the les paul ultra II or if you insist on it being gibson...studio =p?
Being a Bass player is pretty LOW i.m.o...
My Gear:
squier strat HSS
(coming soon) hand built superstrat style.
(coming soon) hand built mahogany spruce top acoustic.
Fender Mustang I 20w
Line 6 FLoor POD (standard)
How would you embarass any Gibson player around? With your magnificent playing? Or with your cheaper guitar that sounds better? Why should YOU care what someone else plays if you don't think it matters what guitar you play? Maybe they play that guitar, because like you, they play what they want with no regard to the name on the headstock. You seem as fixated on this as you assume they are.
I had an Epi Les Paul Custom and that was a sweet guitar, so I assume a Gibson would be better. Epi's might be 'second best' but they are quality guitars for the price. I would however, keep away from the low end Epi's.

I have heard that Gibson LP Studios are really good too.
“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

― Dolly Parton
Get a Gordon-Smith
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Vauxite

+1111111111

And Epiphone do go past £800, who ever said that needs to open their eyes a bit more.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by danohat
How would you embarass any Gibson player around? With your magnificent playing? Or with your cheaper guitar that sounds better? Why should YOU care what someone else plays if you don't think it matters what guitar you play? Maybe they play that guitar, because like you, they play what they want with no regard to the name on the headstock. You seem as fixated on this as you assume they are.

You obviously didnt comprehend the statement I made.

I stated that a Well made Epiphone with a set neck and a set of BARE KNUCKLE pickups will sound just as good as a Gibson Standard stock.

In the reference of Epiphone or Gibson with an $800 budget..Only a Gibson lp Studio would be feasible.

An Epiphone with the mentioned upgrades would fit into that Budget and also have a better tone. It does MATTER what guitar you play. IF you get a guitar with similar specs at a lower price..you can upgrade it to surpass a guitar that is Considered better just because it has a better reputation in the Commercial market.

In this case...the name that is on the headstock is totally relevant because you can take an $800 budget and mod a guitar that turns out to be better than any $800 Gibson with cash left over. This entire statement was built around performance.

The statement had nothing to do with my favorite brand. It was about the biggest bang for the buck.
Well the Epiphone I used to own was far lighter than the Gibson I own. The inlays looked cheesy and the wood grain was a veneer. Putting in new pickups, at around 200 bucks for good ones, will not change these factors.
How is any of that relevant to the performance of the instrument?

Plenty of guitars are lighter than Gibson les pauls and look cheesy to some people.

I feel that way about Ibanez guitars. I hate those things...But I can NOT deny the fact that they are great instruments. I regard them as some of the best. I always find myself looking for a guitar that I hear in a shop and its usually an Ibanez.

back to TS...The Peavy 6505+ combo is coming soon. Theres always the Classic 30.
Id go to a used shop with a good reputation and check out the tube models.
You can get a good deal if you go to a place where older blues musicians trade and buy.
Page 1 of 2