Well i don't really know if this belongs here but; there's this amasing amp at a local store here, but when i checked the speaker line outs on the head i found that there were two outputs; 7.5 OHMS and 15 OHMS.

Now i'm stumped, are those incorrect numbers or can they only be plugged into special cabinets?

By the way the amp is a Selmer Treble Bass 50 with it's matching cabinet loaded with one 15" and one 12" loudspeaker...

I searched google and all i got were saxaphones and such...

-claude
As long as the impedence is lower or higher, I'm not sure which one (I think its lower), it doesn't matter. Probably a sax amp originally? If it sounds good, cool.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
As long as the impedance of the cab is equal to or higher than the output of the head then you should be fine. So you could use an 8 ohm or a 16 ohm cab and you shouldn't have any problems.
^ I don't know how you guys are telling him this without knowing if it is tube or SS, because the acceptable ohm ranges are different depending. Also my tech told me that some amps are built to be a 'equal or greater to' type of range (Mesas) and some are made to be a specific value. The only way to GUARANTEE you do not mess anything up is match impedances.

As for a 7.5 or 15 watt cab... It is possible using an odd combination of speakers and proper wiring, but I doubt you'll find one stock like that.

Edit: If it is SS an 8 or 16 will probably be fine. 1 ohm off isn't the end of the world, but again "The only way to GUARANTEE you do not mess anything up is match impedances."
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You could run the 7.5Ω output into a 8Ω cab, and the 15Ω output into a 16Ω cab.
Well, then use the matching cab lulz
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Thing is when i was inspecting the head the cable came out and i went "whoops"

Anyway the topic's about 7.5 and 15 ohms, i have never seen that on amps and speakers, and i wanted to know if you guys knew anything about this

NOT the same amp but another TB50 model;
Last edited by stykerwolf at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
^ I don't know how you guys are telling him this without knowing if it is tube or SS, because the acceptable ohm ranges are different depending. Also my tech told me that some amps are built to be a 'equal or greater to' type of range (Mesas) and some are made to be a specific value. The only way to GUARANTEE you do not mess anything up is match impedances.

As for a 7.5 or 15 watt cab... It is possible using an odd combination of speakers and proper wiring, but I doubt you'll find one stock like that.

Edit: If it is SS an 8 or 16 will probably be fine. 1 ohm off isn't the end of the world, but again "The only way to GUARANTEE you do not mess anything up is match impedances."

Well you can believe what you wish and play it safe. I read in a column by Matt Bruck that it is safe to mismatch impedance as long as the cab rating is higher than the head, tube or SS. I tend to trust his advice, but to each his own
safe to mismatch impedance as long as the cab rating is higher than the head

Yep just called my gramps and he confirmed it (80 year old Electric Engineer, doubt anyone would know resistance/ohms better then him...)

He said i would be safe, just as long as the cab had more OHMS then the head