Hey guys, I have done some research and come up with a pickup combo that I think will be perfect for what I want, so let me know what you guys think about it, and if there are any problems or better alternatives that you would suggest.

Neck: Seymour Duncan model 59

Bridge: Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates.

I am pretty sure that is a good combo, but I want to know what you guys think. Just to let you know, these are going in my Epiphone g-400 1966 reissue. Thanks.
I'd do that, maybe a '59/'59 set
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I'd do that, maybe a '59/'59 set

Or a Jazz/'59.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
My current amp is either a Fender sidekick 65, or a Crate Stack (not mine, it's belongs to the singer in my band but I use it, don't really like it) but I am going to get a Peavey Valveking 2x12 hopefully. And for my budget, I don't really want to spend more than $100, otherwise I would just go with Gibson Pickups.
Well, that's not much of a budget, for one, and I wouldn't go with Gibson pickups anyway. They're overpriced, and aren't better than the boutique stuff out on the market that cost just as much.

I would wait until you get a new amp before you decide you need new pickups. Additionally, if you want that classic rock/blues tone...There are better choices than the Valveking out there.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, that's not much of a budget, for one, and I wouldn't go with Gibson pickups anyway. They're overpriced, and aren't better than the boutique stuff out on the market that cost just as much.

I would wait until you get a new amp before you decide you need new pickups. Additionally, if you want that classic rock/blues tone...There are better choices than the Valveking out there.

Like the windsor, for example.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Like the windsor, for example.

Yeah, the problem with the Windsor is it either comes in a stack, or 30 Watt version. I would get the stack, but I don't really want to deal with the whole package, and the 30 watt won't be loud enough. The Windsor is freakin sweet though.
Quote by Ape_Natural
Yeah, the problem with the Windsor is it either comes in a stack, or 30 Watt version. I would get the stack, but I don't really want to deal with the whole package, and the 30 watt won't be loud enough. The Windsor is freakin sweet though.

You really have no idea how loud a 20 watt 1x12 combo gets, do you?

15 watts tube gets over a drummer, 30 gets it done cleanly.

If I remember right, forsaknazrael said something along the lines of "it'll knock your drummer over" loud when talking about a 50 watt VK.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
30? You mean 15?

Anyway, what kind of classic rock do you play?

IIRC it's anywhere from 14-22 depending on what tube is used.

And yeah, what KIND of classic rock?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Well, I would like to get like Angus Young/ Jimmy Paige/ Foreigner and Boston type tones. But I also need to get good cleans.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I would look at a Traynor YCV50 Blue. You can find them for brand new on eBay for 650 bucks.

You can find them as low as 400 bucks on the used market.

It's got a very distinct Marshall-type of tone.

Good idea, I forgot about that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Ape_Natural
Well, I would like to get like Angus Young/ Jimmy Paige/ Foreigner and Boston type tones. But I also need to get good cleans.
two duncan '59s is probably the best bet for your budget.

the guy who makes Guitar Force pickups was offering a set of his for $125 a while back on MLP. Dunno if he still has that offer going, you could ask him there, user name is KevinT
FWIW, one of the best deals for real deal PAF pickup tone would be either PAFs on sdpickups.com, or a set of Silverbacks from rockmonkeyguitars.com. Chris from RMG offers a 10% discount to UGers.

and on the amp issue, even a Peavey Classic 30 would be better than a Valveking. And you can find C30's on the used market for as low as 250 bucks.
If it's a Gibson classic tone you want why not Gibson classic pickups? Wouldn't they be priced comparable to another high quality pickup?
Generic as in they sound like Gibsons, which is the sound he's looking for.
Game, Set, and Match.

Azrael knows more, end of.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by forsaknazrael
No need to be acerbic...

Gibson makes expensive products. There are people who offer comparable (or better) products at cheaper prices. And there are people who make better products at the same price point.
Why buy Gibson, then?

"cuz its gisbon n gibson sai their the best"

I really do want a 335, though.
Quote by danohat
If it's a Gibson classic tone you want why not Gibson classic pickups? Wouldn't they be priced comparable to another high quality pickup?
The way I see it...

Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers, Antiquities
Wolfetone Marshallheads, Dr. Vintages

as well as several others that I can't think of off the top of my head

Are all in the same price bracket as a set of burstbuckers and are all closer in both sound and construction to real PAFs. Gibson doesn't make their PAF reissues the same way PAFs used to be made, different winding machines, different materials, etc. so it's hard to say that getting a Gibson pickup is the best way to get the classic Gibson tone.

Though technically for the TS's purposes, the pickups that came in a '66 SG are actually closer in spec to the burstbuckers than a true PAF reissue...
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 25, 2009,
id suggest p-90 pickups they are a good play, but heres a quetion just real quick if u combine diffrent pickups say, p-90, emgs, hummbuckers, stuff like that will it sound the same?
"To love someone is to see him as God intended him"
So I think I will just go with a set of 59's from Seymour Duncan. Thanks for all you input guys. I was looking at the Peavey Windsor Studio amp and it is exactly what I am looking for tonally, but will it be loud enough to play over my drummer (he's very hard hitting and gets very into the music resulting in very loud volumes) other guitar player, bass player and keyboardist by itself? I also found out that there is a speaker out, but is the 20 watts enough to power say a 412 cab, or even a 212 loud enough to make it worth while? Thanks.
'59s will do the job.

I would actually get the unpotted '59s from Specialty guitars, although they do cost more, but a slight microphonic quality sounds very good if you're trying to get that vintage Gibson tone.
For a nice PAF sound, without getting into the boutique market, I'm partial to the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary pickups. Haven't tried any in person, but from all the clips I've heard, they definitely get close.

Also, Like another person stated before, if you want a nice classic rock sound, a Peavey Classic will serve you better than a Windsor or Valveking. They're really cheap on the used market as stated as well. Think I got my Classic 50 4x10 for 320 or so about a year ago.
Gear:
Fender Deluxe Player's Strat
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Gibson Special Faded SG
Tokai LS-80QZ
Tokai Talbo A-130SH
Duesenberg Starplayer TV Outlaw
Takamine EG530SSC
Peavey Classic 50 410
Quote by Ape_Natural
So I think I will just go with a set of 59's from Seymour Duncan. Thanks for all you input guys. I was looking at the Peavey Windsor Studio amp and it is exactly what I am looking for tonally, but will it be loud enough to play over my drummer (he's very hard hitting and gets very into the music resulting in very loud volumes) other guitar player, bass player and keyboardist by itself? I also found out that there is a speaker out, but is the 20 watts enough to power say a 412 cab, or even a 212 loud enough to make it worth while? Thanks.

It actually is loud enough to get over a drummer, and powerful enough to power a cab.
However, it may not have enough clean headroom for your needs. Meaning, your cleans will distort by the time you turn it up loud enough to get over drums.

I've heard mixed things about the Windsor Studio, try it out before you buy.
For one thing, it's the not the Windsor we were talking about earlier.

I still stand by recommendations of a Traynor YCV50. It's one of the best Marshall-voiced amps you can get for under 1000 bucks.
Even a Peavey Classic 30, as I said, would be a good choice.

And remember, I think it would be wiser to get the new amp first, then decide if you want new pickups.
It's not like the pickups in your guitar are bad, and what you find lacking about your tone may change when you get a new amp. The amp matters much more than the guitar, in terms of your tone.
Well, there was a Peavey classic 50 410 for sale on my local craigslist, and I almost bought it, but from every video I saw it could not get gritty enough for my taste. I think the guitar player whos tone I want to model most is Angus Young, and from what I saw of the Peavey classic series, it was a little too mundane. Correct me if I'm wrong becuase if I am, I will definately get a Peavey classic. I was very interested in it, but then I though it was too mundane, or at least not cutting enough to get that Angus Young "Ripping" sound.
Quote by Ape_Natural
Well, there was a Peavey classic 50 410 for sale on my local craigslist, and I almost bought it, but from every video I saw it could not get gritty enough for my taste. I think the guitar player whos tone I want to model most is Angus Young, and from what I saw of the Peavey classic series, it was a little too mundane. Correct me if I'm wrong becuase if I am, I will definately get a Peavey classic. I was very interested in it, but then I though it was too mundane, or at least not cutting enough to get that Angus Young "Ripping" sound.
Well... the Peavey classics can get plenty of grit, they sound a little bit boring and mundane but you shouldn't have any problem with getting enough gain. Far more than anyone would need for an Angus-esque sound.
Quote by al112987
Well... the Peavey classics can get plenty of grit, they sound a little bit boring and mundane but you shouldn't have any problem with getting enough gain. Far more than anyone would need for an Angus-esque sound.

Yeah, I've gotten to Kill 'em All era Metallica on one without a boost.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden