I’m just curious as I’ll be leaving for University in late September. I had my last guitar lesson a couple of weeks ago, obviously on top of all the other financial help my parents will be giving me - they don’t want to shell out for more lessons and I probably won’t be able to afford them even if I’m working.

I have already agreed to join a band in principle, so I’ll still be playing, but I’m just wondering whether anyone has been in a situation where because they stop taking lessons/move to university or college - they stop developing playing skills.

Should I make every effort to still get lessons? Or maybe is it just time for a completely new approach that might help me another way?
You can't take lessons forever. This is your chance to take hold of the instrument for yourself rather than being told how to use it.
Just take private lessons as an elective. Gets you university credits and you get your lessons. Makes the work more enjoyable as well.
Getting lessons will help, but if you cant do that you could, I dont know, join one of these forums? :p

If you keep reading the threads/asking questions you can keep pushing yourself in what you know and can do- and thats what you need.

Dont get me wrong though, lessons are still the best option, so when you can afford them again they're great too!
I didn't play guitar when I went to uni, but I did play trombone and violin, and I pretty much stopped playing both at uni. Partly because I had other interests which took up most of my time (no, not that - twas judo ) and partly because the uni bands/orchestras were full of music students who looked down on a lowly engineer, and I hadn't got the self confidence to stand up to them at the time

See what's on offer at the freshers fair - there is bound to be some guitar group you can join at least to start with. Joining a band will be good for your playing anyway and will help you improve. I'd be tempted to check out the music department and see if any lecturers/students offer cheap lessons too - you've got nothing to lose by looking
Quote by mattvl
Just take private lessons as an elective. Gets you university credits and you get your lessons. Makes the work more enjoyable as well.

At my school lessons are only available as credit for music students. And it's no fun, we have a jury at the end of the semester and it's BRUTAL.
lessons are only helpful for like the first two years ,

so is that why Randy Rhoads would often seek them out whilst on tour with Ozzy?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.