I have a Squier CV Jazz Bass and an Acoustic B20 practice amp. I also occasionally use a Boss DS-1 for distortion. I keep the highs on my amp maxed out and my lows at 3 o' clock. I also use the neck pickup. I try not to turn up the tone on the DS-1 because it starts to clip and distort and yadayadayada. I play punk, and I just want my bass to sound brighter. What else should I do?
Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

Max both pickups play over the bride, new set of round-wounds. Turn up your treble but keep the bass up to keep it even. Play with a pick.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
well, new strings, and if your amp has free EQ you could try messing with that
Thanks guys, keep em comin'.

Yeah I'm still using the stock strings on my bass. They've been there for about 1 1/2 years now lol

EDIT: What strings do you recommend
Gear:
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666

I like roto's and warwick strings, and dr flats.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Haha yeah changing the strings should bring a lot of treble back in considering how old yours apparently are. I hear stock squier bass strings aren't particularly great either.

Also this is probably not the best of ideas here, but assuming the volume/tone pots in your bass already are 250K, try swapping them for some 500Ks.
Last edited by pete-c at Aug 25, 2009,
USe rotosounds, round wounds. Maz both pickups on your bass, on your amp EQ max the treble, scoop the mds and keep the bass in the middle
does anyone else dig the j bass for punk? idk, but i just love em.

also, if i bought the squier VM jazz wud the maple make it sound better 4 punk? bcuz when i played it sounded reeeal nice...that bass was calling me, just like the CV did
Gear:
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666

Last edited by chaazums at Aug 25, 2009,
You'll get a lot of different recommendations from various people, but the majority will point you to rotosounds. They probably will give you the bright sound you're looking for.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by pete-c
I hear stock squier bass strings aren't particularly great either.

The Classic Vibe series comes stock with Fender Super Bass rounds.
Gear:
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666

Quote by chaazums
I have a Squier CV Jazz Bass and an Acoustic B20 practice amp. I also occasionally use a Boss DS-1 for distortion. I keep the highs on my amp maxed out and my lows at 3 o' clock. I also use the neck pickup. I try not to turn up the tone on the DS-1 because it starts to clip and distort and yadayadayada. I play punk, and I just want my bass to sound brighter. What else should I do?

Make sure your knob's up on your bass, that is the first step to being bright.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
the VM is bright because of it being maple dunno what wood the CV is though.
Quote by chaazums
The Classic Vibe series comes stock with Fender Super Bass rounds.

Ah cool. Like I said though I was only going from what I heard, and I'm pretty clueless when it comes to bass stuff sometimes.

on a semi related note: rarrr. i really want the VM jazz bass. its sexyness compells me.
Let's not argue string brands here. What's important is that he gets STAINLESS STEEL STRINGS. Nothing else. Does your amp have a tweeter? If so make sure it's on. Everything else you're doing seems fine.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Let's not argue string brands here. What's important is that he gets STAINLESS STEEL STRINGS.

This.

Also, replace the strings on your current bass first and check how it sounds then. Adjust the neck if needed, and do some intonation. Maybe you'll fall in love with it all over again and you wont need to buy a different bass because of it
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Quote by chaazums
does anyone else dig the j bass for punk? idk, but i just love em.

also, if i bought the squier VM jazz wud the maple make it sound better 4 punk? bcuz when i played it sounded reeeal nice...that bass was calling me, just like the CV did

Klaus Flouride from DK played with a jazz.

I would focus on the bridge pickup, get new strings, boost high-mids and treble, and play with a pick.
listen to what I say, as not only will you get that bright, powerful tone, but you will not lose the fundamental lows and still sound bright and gainy.

turn all the pickups all the way up, then turn it the neck one down a smidge, so the bridge pushes through just a little extra.

tone knob also all the way up.

lose the DS 1. that is destroying your lows, and by the sound of things, your treble too. run clean, or through a drive or boost of some kind. bass specific.

use Rotosound Swing 66 (my suggestion) or some other steel string. change them at least once every 2 months, though once a month is preferable.

use a pick. it adds a certain click that just locks the sound in.

on the amp boost the bass between 5-8, lo mid 3-6, hi mid 6-9, treble 5-8. that rumbly boomy texture both of us don't like is actually the low mids. the only bass that works low mids without sounding like a water jug being impaled is a Warwick, and you don't really want that much.

I don't think you need another jazz bass- if you want one and can afford it, I would keep saving for a bigger amp, or a better upgrade. if you can trade, that may be better. that VM is a nice bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Would anyone mind classing string material by brightness, or pointing me to a chart for thus?
Quote by Halakar
Would anyone mind classing string material by brightness, or pointing me to a chart for thus?

certainly.

steel
coated nickel (it lasts longer at brightness ya know)
nickel
groundwound
tapewound
flatwound

I think...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

sorry if this was already stated but play using the side of a pick, it makes it sound like a pinch harmonic but not quite
Quote by Halakar
Thank you so much. Is tapewound the same as halfwound?

no.

tapewound uses a smaller gauge string and wraps a nylon coat around it.

halfwound and groundwound are the same I believe- they take a roundwound and make the outside of it flat. quite simply.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

i love jazz basses for punk for a brighter sound you want stainless steel round wound strings and for a brighter bass look for maple neck or a ebony fret board or from warmoth.com there necks fit fender/squiers if you do that order an all ebony neck it will cost some money but will be very very bright with stainless round
I SLAPPA DA BASS!

my gear:
fender mim fret lessjazz bass
fender mim precision bass
old no name bass from the 80's
crate 100w combo
boss geb-7 bass eq
electro harmonics big muff
digitec bass envelope filter
Rotos are really really bright, harsh even, seems about right.

EDIT: TS-You sigged me! Why I oughta... OK, I admit it:

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by the humanity
on the amp boost the bass between 5-8, lo mid 3-6, hi mid 6-9, treble 5-8. that rumbly boomy texture both of us don't like is actually the low mids. the only bass that works low mids without sounding like a water jug being impaled is a Warwick, and you don't really want that much.

I disagree on loosing the low mids, i find there one of the only things that give me full definition and soi would cut the bass a bit more while boosting the low mids, cutting high mids and boosting treble and middle mids.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
I disagree on loosing the low mids, i find there one of the only things that give me full definition and soi would cut the bass a bit more while boosting the low mids, cutting high mids and boosting treble and middle mids.

for a trebly sound? nonsense.

that would be like a clacky growl. he wants a bright punch. hence, high mids. the low mids, though they can sound great, will not get the standard trebley tone.

in my opinion.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard