Hey guys i was wondering if anybody had some useful resources for a cab build
I have a GCSE in electronics that was fairly practical and I have experience with electronics so I'm capable of the electronics. The other guitarist in my band is competent with woodwork (as is his dad) so that side won't be a problem either.

I want to either make a 2x12 with room to expand into a 4x12, or just make a 4x12 outright

does anybody have a schematic for the wooden part of the cabinet?
or for the circuitry on that note

is MDF / Plywood suitable for this?

speaker recomendations? (i know celestions are meant to be the best but im sure there are equally good speakers out there for just as much)
weber speakers are good, as are eminence, celestion, and any number of expensive boutique brands. for good speakers at a good price, go with weber.

birch plywood is widely considered the standard for cab construction.

generally speaking, any dimensions are acceptable as long as they are odd numbers.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by blue_strat

thanks thats some pretty useful stuff

Quote by AngusJimiKeith
weber speakers are good, as are eminence, celestion, and any number of expensive boutique brands. for good speakers at a good price, go with weber.

birch plywood is widely considered the standard for cab construction.

generally speaking, any dimensions are acceptable as long as they are odd numbers.

thanks.
how much is birch plywood generally? (im in the UK)
and do i somehow make a frame from plywood or do i just whatever for a frame?
idk, im in the states,

as for a frame, its a good idea to brace a 4x12 sized cab, dividing the cab into two sections with a piece of ply.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Okay.
I've just been on the weber site and I'm completely confused as to what kinda of speaker I'd be wanting.
I play quite a variation of stuff
from hardrock to modern metal stuff (guns n roses, acdc to bullet, avenged, etc) and also punk rock kinda stuff with a covers band at college.
any suggestions?

edit:
i know i want 12 inch speakers but what model? ceramic or alnico?
Last edited by Bigsteve92 at Aug 25, 2009,
so, mostly distorted tones then?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
yeah pretty much, but i'd like it to be nice on clean aswell if that's possible. willing to compromise slightly for variety
oh, and i completely forgot, what impedance (ohms)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
First off, I reccomend Birch Ply, perferably atleast 11 ply, I'd say like 1/2" thick. Should be sturdy. Maybe a few 2x4s for bracing. Also, use the dimensions from a well known cab. For example a Marshall 1960a/b, or some type of Mesa/Orange/Whatev cab. They're generally well designed and will save some time from getting your own measurements. Also, I second eminence speakers, I have a Texas Heat and a Swamp Thang in my cab, and its great.
the head i have (Marshall avt150h) has both 4 and 8 ohm outputs so i'll go for 8 ohms because more heads ive seen seem to use 8.

MadAudioMan; where would i be able to get 11ply birch ply? will my local hardware store stock it? what if i made a frame using 2x4's and then panelled it using the ply?
and would my best bit be using the dimensions from the cab designed for my head?
a marshall cab would be good dimensions to follow, yes.

EDIT: http://www.soundcitysite.com/sc_webpages/series_parallel.pdf

follow that wiring, using 4 8-ohm speakers, to get an 8-ohm cab.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Aug 25, 2009,
ceramic silver bell or ceramic 12v looks pretty good.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
ceramic silver bell or ceramic 12v looks pretty good.

is that from Weber?
both are yup...as for eminence, id say texas heat or governor.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
both are yup...as for eminence, id say texas heat or governor.

where abouts on the site do i find those?
those two are eminence speakers, sorry if im confusing u.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
If you're making a 4x12 and want lower costs without losing quality, I suggest Weber. They're cheaper then Eminence but still good. I'm gonna be making a 4x12 with them soon as well.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
those two are eminence speakers, sorry if im confusing u.

i meant the silver bell and the other one you mentioned, i couldn't find them on the weber site :\

EDIT: found them, but at that price i may aswell just buy celestion vintage 30's from within the UK :S
Last edited by Bigsteve92 at Aug 26, 2009,
I'm also interested in where to find brich ply in the UK.

On speakers, importing them from the US doesn't save you any money with exchange rates as they are. I think Watford valves is the cheapest place I've seen other than ebay. Just remember they don't include VAT in their prices.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
quick update here (unininium, you might be interested)
a friend of mine has made a 4x12 bass cab using 2x4 and MDF (medium density fibreboard) and it sounds absolutely great.
MDF is about 15 quid for a decent size / thickness from Wickes or B&Q so its fairly cheap