Hi there is a guitar i really like but it has 22 frets. I play stuff like children of bodom and also neo classical things but i cannot be sure if i can play stuff like bodom with 22 frets. i know that even bodom doesnt go to 24 frets a lot but they still do sometimes. Will it be a problem for me and should i look for 24 fret guitars or 22 is fine? I dont care about neck pickup position just the notes i will be able to play.
If you play children of bodom regularly, then I would imagine the lack of higher frets will gradually become more and more frustrating

Its so often the high point of a solo, and when you can't get to it then it feels incomplete
Frets 22 and above are rarely ever used, and if they are then its usually just a quick tap or a simple sustained note. 22 frets are really all thats necessary.
Forgive them Father, they know not what they do.
the guitar can span 2 octaves with 24 notes, whereas a 22 fret one will just miss out.

not a deal breaker. To finish a solo, just pull a big bend on the 22nd. Ending on bends is cool anyway, like an emotional peak.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Quote by The Fret-Dancer
Frets 22 and above are rarely ever used, and if they are then its usually just a quick tap or a simple sustained note. 22 frets are really all thats necessary.

That's is completely individual. Remember that the 24th fret makes an extra octave, while 22 frets, does not. Assuming that you are playing in key of whatever you've tuned your open string to, it can be cool to tap that fret, or even slide up to it for a high note. It's not necessary very often, but if his music even at times require it, then there's no reason not to have 24.

It's very easy and sounds good to bend one step.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by stratman7
I think everyone needs at least one 24 fret superstrat in their arsenal.

+9918298121

Seriously, not only can you reach a full step higher, but also it makes it so much easier to play on the higher frets area ( like around the 19th )
Quote by stratman7
I think everyone needs at least one 24 fret superstrat in their arsenal.

agreed, except for blues players.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You won't need the 23rd & 24th fret for most stuff, & if you do, you could just try to bend from the 22nd!
Although, I do love to have to option of using the 24th fret myself
& most the stuff I write myself, I don't solo or anything even using the 20th+ frets
Quote by necrosis1193

It's very easy and sounds good to bend one step.

I'd like to see you bend to the high e in a swept Em arpeggio with the top note tapped at 200bmp.

Edit: there are other pluses to 24 frets. Now you can bend to the 26/27th (theoretically), you have 2 octaves on your fretboard, it also opens up a new set of natural harmonics and the deeper cutaway makes it more comfortable to play around the 15-19th frets.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Aug 25, 2009,
There was just a thread on this same topic the other day

I know at least one time in the Megadeth "Blood in the Water" video I see Dave use the 24th... It's pretty darn fast I don't think you could possible bend at the 22nd at that speed.
Quote by StewieSwan
I'd like to see you bend to the high e in a swept Em arpeggio with the top note tapped at 200bmp.

Edit: there are other pluses to 24 frets. Now you can bend to the 26/27th (theoretically), you have 2 octaves on your fretboard, it also opens up a new set of natural harmonics and the deeper cutaway makes it more comfortable to play around the 15-19th frets.

No it doesn't - natural harmonics are nothing to do with the frets, they occur at fractions of the length of the string, therefore they're exactly the same regardless of the scale length or number of frets.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No it doesn't - natural harmonics are nothing to do with the frets, they occur at fractions of the length of the string, therefore they're exactly the same regardless of the scale length or number of frets.

Well then allow me to rephrase

It gives you the precise location of the second octave of natural harmonics.
ok well if you have a 22 fret guitar you can bend a full step..maybe even a step and a half, but if you have a 24 you can bend up to basically a 26th or 27th fret. . .just saying. . .and tapping on the 24th sounds cool too
In many of the solo's I play there is usually a fast run of hammer on's/pull'off's involving the 24th fret and it's in-convenient to bend up in the middle of the fast run.

And some of the solo's I play also require full step 24 fret bends.

It depends on what you play and what you prefer. I prefer 24 frets, but I really don't care about it to much.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by StewieSwan
Well then allow me to rephrase

It gives you the precise location of the second octave of natural harmonics.

...you already have the "precise location", it's called the "5th fret". Harmonics are mirrored either side of the 12th fret so anything between the 12th fret and the bridge is exactly the same as what's between the 12th and the nut.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Wow its really confusing what to choose. The guitar is a jackson rr with 22 frets. i would like to have 24 but i cant find a guitar like that which is that cheap and that high quality (its a japan 93 model btw pro series)
Its a nice guitar but you should really get 24 frets. Find another japson.
Quote by blind.quardian
Wow its really confusing what to choose. The guitar is a jackson rr with 22 frets. i would like to have 24 but i cant find a guitar like that which is that cheap and that high quality (its a japan 93 model btw pro series)
Do you have another guitar with 24? That's what I'm doing. I have a Jackson RR3 with 22 frets and I have a Kelly with 24, so it's not really a huge problem for me.
Buy a 27 fret just to piss off all these people who are against 24 frets
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Metalfan41
Ibanez Xiphos?!
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Ibanez Xiphos?!

This, or custom since I only know of the 27 fret Xipkos
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
I play bodom stuff and I have a 22 fret Jackson, sometimes I have to bend in the higher frets to reach the notes but it is ok most of the time.

The ausence of a floyd rose trem is a worst problem while playing bodom.
Quote by steven seagull
...you already have the "precise location", it's called the "5th fret". Harmonics are mirrored either side of the 12th fret so anything between the 12th fret and the bridge is exactly the same as what's between the 12th and the nut.

Huh, i didn't notice that before
Quote by Metalfan41

Don't stop there, go to 36! 3 octaves ftw!
Quote by StewieSwan
Huh, i didn't notice that before

Or you could just memorize where the 24th fret harmonics are on a 22 fret in relation to the pickup. I strike 24 harmonics all the time on my 22 fret guitar.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
^ha. I would actually like that but above the 27th they are pretty damn small and kind of dumb unless you have matchstick sized fingertips. At least it doesn't have jumbos. Also look how thick the neck is in the body, pretty useless.

hahah and the horn looks like a big horse dick.
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by pwrmax
Don't stop there, go to 36! 3 octaves ftw!

I stand corrected... go for 36 frets
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Quote by Tempoe
above the 27th they are pretty damn small and kind of dumb unless you have matchstick sized fingertips.

Tapping with the pick maybe, but that's really it.
Sometimes when people have 36 frets they go for whole tones only after a certain fret.
take for instance "hanger 18" by megadeth. The last solo in the song and the ending note is a whole note bend off of the 24th fret. So for genres like megadeth 24 frets is a must. im having the same issue because im in love with the new dbz guitars but they all have 22 frets! its just stupid haha
24 Frets only gives you 2 more notes, but I guess if you don`t want to bend you`ll need to get a 24 fretter. Jackson Dinkys have 24
My Gear

Fender MIM Tele
Jackson DKMG
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier
Crate v50 w/ mods
Rougue Mahogany Accoustic
I have both a 24 fret and a 22 fret guitar, and it doesn't really make a difference to me... but then again, I'm not really a "note-for-note" kind of guy....
Quote by drawnacrol
well what I used to do was play children of bodom solos in E tuning so the 24th fret would become the 22nd fret because your not in D tuning,all the notes will be brought back 2 frets when playing in E,dya get what I mean???

yea thats ok for solos but how you gonna play rhythms and play power chords which cant be played in E standart like

2-- --3
0 or 1
Sometimes doing the 22nd fret bends could be an easy string breaker, since in COB's song "Blooddrunk" you do a full or full and a half step bend. So if you only had 22 frets, you could be bending your strings 2 full steps or 2.5 full steps. And breaking the string right at the highest point of a solo=fail
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09
Sometimes doing the 22nd fret bends could be an easy string breaker, since in COB's song "Blooddrunk" you do a full or full and a half step bend. So if you only had 22 frets, you could be bending your strings 2 full steps or 2.5 full steps. And breaking the string right at the highest point of a solo=fail

Not sure why, but that gets a lolstack from me

Hilarious actually picturing the reaction to that