I'm looking to have a Les Paul type guitar made by a British luthier and he has a special price deal with Bareknuckle Pickups. The brand is not essential but they have a great reputation etc. So I looked at their offerings and found the Abraxas model that seems to suit the style I want this guitar to cover.
What I'm asking is what alternatives I might consider. I do want high output as I expect to be switching between this and my EMG loaded Cort and I don't want too much of a volume loss.
The guitar will be traditional Les Paul woods with Ebony fretboard so nothing odd or outlandish there. I'll be looking for the usual sort of tones you'd expect from Peter Green, Gary Moore, Jimmy Page and early Clapton.
All suggestions welcome.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

IMO this should be in GG&A
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Quote by Lurcher
I'm looking to have a Les Paul type guitar made by a British luthier and he has a special price deal with Bareknuckle Pickups. The brand is not essential but they have a great reputation etc. So I looked at their offerings and found the Abraxas model that seems to suit the style I want this guitar to cover.
What I'm asking is what alternatives I might consider. I do want high output as I expect to be switching between this and my EMG loaded Cort and I don't want too much of a volume loss.
The guitar will be traditional Les Paul woods with Ebony fretboard so nothing odd or outlandish there. I'll be looking for the usual sort of tones you'd expect from Peter Green, Gary Moore, Jimmy Page and early Clapton.
All suggestions welcome.
Based on these and BKP's offerings, I imagine the Riff Raff, Mule or Stormy Monday are more up your alley. A high output pickup is just not going to give you the character you need for these sounds.

Don't be fooled by the DCR, I've played the Mules, they're pretty hot despite the fact that they have a lower resistance, but not too hot that you lose the PAF sound that you need for the sound that you want.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 25, 2009,
I don't think high output pickups are a good idea- your clean tone is going to suffer and you'll have a hard time getting those tones with high output pickups, and even then the EMGs are going to be a fair bit louder just by virtue of being active pickups. My suggestion is to just deal with the volume difference and get something that fits the tone you want - black dogs or Mules, perhaps.
If you are looking for a peter Green tone definately look into the BKP PG Blues.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by al112987
Based on these and BKP's offerings, I imagine the Riff Raff, Mule or Stormy Monday are more up your alley. A high output pickup is just not going to give you the character you need for these sounds.

Don't be fooled by the DCR, I've played the Mules, they're pretty hot despite the fact that they have a lower resistance, but not too hot that you lose the PAF sound that you need for the sound that you want.

My thought's exactly. I have a set of Mules and they are great! I play a lot of Led Zeppelin, Cream and Fleetwood Mac and throw n the occasional Santana and Gary Moore too. My tip is to listen to my 18watter demo and the Clapton clips in my profile. Those are all my Les Paul with Mules. As you hear there, they are perfect for those tones.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by al112987

+ 1 to the Riff Raff, Mules or Stormy Mondays.

If you're keen on PAF replicas, the Mules are best PAF replicas offered by BKP.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Cheers guys. I'll look into mules, I think.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Great idea. I love my Mules. The thing is that they are fairly low output, but can still handle gain. Being low output means they have so much clarity and really lets yout guitar through. But they still handle stuff like Van Halen and so on.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009