Hey all,

I have a question about Dream Theater's awesome song, Panic Attack. After getting used to bass and using the fingers on my right hand aswell I thought it was time to move to a technically more demanding song.

Now ofcourse, the very first intro riff I'm already having trouble. Because with bass I am starting with a ''clean slate'' I want to know what technique I should use (or better yet, what John Myung uses) to play this song, so that I don't develop any bad habits.

On the intro riff, I tried 3 different techniques. Plucking with 3 fingers, using my ring finger for the G string and the middle and index fingers for the open D String. Then I tried using just my middle finger for the G string, racking it up to the open D string and then using my index finger for the second open D, and I tried using 3 fingers again but more in a plucking manner.

The second technique ended up with me getting the most speed, but I'm not sure if this is the correct way to play it when it comes to being able to keeping the time signature. Is there anyone with any input on this?

P.S: For Reference, the riff is something like:

G---10-------9------10------12
D-------0-0-----0-0-----0-0---

etc. etc.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
There is no 'correct' way to do it. I'd say to work up your speed and go at it with either two or three fingers (whichever becomes more comfortable/accurate). If you go with two, try to go index, middle, index, middle... instead of middle, index, index... as it will help your playing flow better, whether or not you're switching between strings.
I would play it with middle on the G string, then continue moving the finger down to pluck the D string and then index on D string
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Personally, I'd do it the second way that you mentioned. But it's what's most comfortable to you.

Also, edgeyyz, in one of the few lessons I had when starting bass, I was told middle, index, middle, index, oddly enough, and I find the other way affects my flow badly.
On Emma Watson:

Quote by rabidguitarist
You should call her a filthy mudblood while you're fucking her.
I believe it's a G to D rake with one finger (any), followed but another D with a different finger.

Don't try to learn too much of this stuff right away, if you're just getting into bass. It's a really good way to develop bad habits, and to give yourself tendonitus trying to play fast complicated stuff without developing your hands and forearms first.
Ah, the raking is what I've seen people on Youtube (lol) do, and it's what worked fastest for me too =).

I know I'm not supposed to go into songs that ''overspeed'' me, but because I have about 4 years of guitar experience behind me, my left hand is quite developed (I was a ''shredder'', not a good one though lol) so I want to get into songs like this fast, which work more on my right hand than my left. There's definetly some things I still need to get down though, i.e the faster licks that Mendez from Opeth uses in songs like ''The Drapery Falls'' and ''Bleak''. I can't seem to get my hands synchronised in speed for those, so I just play it slowly and build it up from there.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Quote by baz249
Personally, I'd do it the second way that you mentioned. But it's what's most comfortable to you.

Also, edgeyyz, in one of the few lessons I had when starting bass, I was told middle, index, middle, index, oddly enough, and I find the other way affects my flow badly.

My point wasn't to start necessarily on the index finger, that really doesn't matter. Just alternating fingers is better than trying to downpick twice with the same finger on a fast line. Or, you could upstroke on the way up to the G-string (I think that's what DeliriumBassist meant) and capslockisnton's method seems like it would work. I play just alternating fingers for each individual note and it works perfectly fine for me.
Quote by edgeyyz
My point wasn't to start necessarily on the index finger, that really doesn't matter. Just alternating fingers is better than trying to downpick twice with the same finger on a fast line. Or, you could upstroke on the way up to the G-string (I think that's what DeliriumBassist meant) and capslockisnton's method seems like it would work. I play just alternating fingers for each individual note and it works perfectly fine for me.

Yea, I think in essence it's meant as a single upstroke covering 2 notes, then using the index for the third.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
When I said raking, I meant raking- on the last four notes in each phrase, it's alternating G and D strings, so I "sweep" or "rake" through with one finger to play two distinct notes with one stroke, playing four notes with 2 strokes, playing through the G string onto the D. The rets is just alternate 1 and 2.