Hi, I have decided to do up an old guitar to use as a back up. It is a cheap one (epiphone les paul 100) and I have sandpapered the finish off it. I just want a plain wood finish. And as a test I covered a small area of the guitar using just normal wood varnish. It seems OK so can I cover the rest of it in this normal clear wood varnish or do I like need to use that nitro celulous laquer. Like I say, I know the proper guitar laquer is better but seeing as it is just a cheap backup guitar can I carry on using normal varnish?
Thanks in advance, Dave.
You dont have to use lacquer, wood is wood finish it how you want.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
laquer is laquer. its neither of those.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
its a type of wood finish, more like varnish than paint, but different.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
OK, but the question remains, can I just carry on using this normal wood varnish or do I need to switch to something like the nitro celulous stuff that Gibson uses.
...that was answered. yes, you can use it. its a wood finish, isnt it? it will work.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by hardrockerdave9
Well what is laquer then?

It is a varnish, you can buy it in different colors or in clear. Its about the same thing as what my grandpa used to call shellac. Basically a clear coat that dries hard and can be poilished.

EDIT: It doesn't have pigment in it like paint. At least I've never seen any like that.
Last edited by halo71 at Aug 26, 2009,