hey guys
I'm doing a show next month and I'm playing the wind cries mary by hendrix and I don't wanna play everything the exact way hendrix did so I was wondering if anyone knew wat key the song is in and possibly wat scale is used for the solo
this signature has my gear in it. nothing more, nothing less

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Rainbow Music Shop Custom Les Paul
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
I believe It is in F Major.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by meow1992
hey guys
I'm doing a show next month and I'm playing the wind cries mary by hendrix and I don't wanna play everything the exact way hendrix did so I was wondering if anyone knew wat key the song is in and possibly wat scale is used for the solo

i garuntee the song is in c or f it doesnt matter really they both sound good

i would go with F major
surely if you're good enough to play the song and re-arrange it you should have enough knowledge of theory to work it out, be it from listening or just the tab?

Seeing as the main verse chord sequence is C Bb F i doubt it is in C major since that has no Bb. It is in F major and is a incredibly simple V IV I progression. The solo sticks to the F major pentatonic - except for 1 bar, which is played over a Db chord and draw from notes outside the F major pent.

The chord progression under the solo is a bit tricky to work out, since many chords are not played fully by the rhythm guitar but are implied by the bass and lead lines. they seem to go I-bVII-IV-bIII for measure 1 to 6 (2 chords per measure) then drops back into a more familiar II-IV-bVI-I for the last 4 measures (1 chord per measure) . What to me is striking about this is despite a chord sequence that significantly deviates from the key (including bVII and bIII chords) he manages to keep the solo with in the F major pentatonic, which is what gives the solo such a good sound.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more