Quote by chrisg7
what amp are you playing through?

My original question was asking whether EMG's would sound good in my B.C. Rich NT Beast.

I use an old (but very nice) crate GFX-212 dual speaker Crate. I might go with passive Seymour Duncans like somebody suggested though, if I can afford it. I need to buy one of B.C. Rich's rediculously priced guitar cases, too...
I'm guessing your Crate is solid-state.

Don't get EMG's or any active pickup in general when you're playing through a solid-state amp. The active pickup won't reach it's full potential (thus wasting money) when played through a solid-state amp and the amp might start to clip.

Go with Seymour Duncans/Dimarzio's, avoid EMG's/SD Blackouts.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
I'm guessing your Crate is solid-state.

Don't get EMG's or any active pickup in general when you're playing through a solid-state amp. The active pickup won't reach it's full potential (thus wasting money) when played through a solid-state amp and the amp might start to clip.

Go with Seymour Duncans/Dimarzio's, avoid EMG's/SD Blackouts.

I have never heard of such a problem. Ever.
Quote by Gregray88
Really? A lot of people know about it.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Really? A lot of people know about it.

So, you should use tubes? I have 81/85s but I have a modelling amp at the moment.
Yeah it's solid state. I'm only getting new pickups if my current problem with my humbuckers is only a minor wiring problem though. Passive Seymour Duncans look like they'd suite my gear nicely though.

Thanks for your input, guys!
Quote by Gregray88
So, you should use tubes? I have 81/85s but I have a modelling amp at the moment.
Yeah in general you should use tubes with actives because actives are kind of like an overdrive pedal. They push the pre-amp to get saturated gain.

Pushing a SS preamp will make it clip.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON

sigh.

Distortion is what happens when an amp is pushed too hard and it causes the signal to clip, regardless of whether it is the preamp section or power section.

Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
They push the pre-amp to get saturated gain.

When you push the preamp to get a saturated gain, you are making the preamp stage clip.

Actives were initially designed to push amps harder without introducing background noise that typically accompanies excessively hot pickups.

Actives are NOT like an overdrive pedal. That is a very wrong description of actives. Only when actives are pushing tubes to clip does it do what overdrive pedals do, but on a weaker scale.

Its evident that you're parroting what some UGers have posted before, but you are not even quoting it within the correct context. Even some of your basic concepts are so glaringly wrong. Please read up more before dispensing half-baked wisdom.

Quote by Gregray88

There is no such problem. Yes actives don't do what they were designed to do (which is to push tubes harder without introducing background noise/hiss/hum etc) when paired with solidstates or modellers.

However, there is nothing wrong with using actives with SS / modellers. Though I wouldn't do it since I hate the resultant tone.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Aug 25, 2009,
The JB and 59' Duncan combo is what I have in my soloist- its so versatile I love it. EMGs are nice pups, and they do what they were made to do very, very well. I just love a good, solid pair of passive pups, and I have a feeling you will too. Besides the JB or 59', look at the Duncan Distortion. Thats a great pup for the bridge- its high output.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Unispex
My original question was asking whether EMG's would sound good in my B.C. Rich NT Beast.

I use an old (but very nice) crate GFX-212 dual speaker Crate. I might go with passive Seymour Duncans like somebody suggested though, if I can afford it. I need to buy one of B.C. Rich's rediculously priced guitar cases, too...

On topic.

What genres of music?
Which bands tones as reference?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
All genres, preferable heavier types of metal and some rock. Band tones, um.... Well I'd like to try to have an original tone, but I really like the tone that Dimebag had, as well as the tone Cannibal Corpse had in their first 4 albums. There's a lot more, but I'm really not goin to go about listing every band that has a nice tone...
Quote by ragingkitty
However, there is nothing wrong with using actives with SS / modellers. Though I wouldn't do it since I hate the resultant tone.

+1 EMGs + SS sound awful.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera