Hi, ive recorded a backing track to play over and the chords are A minor, E minor, F major 7, and the first four strings of G major. I have been soloing over it with the minor pentatonic scale in G and E but I'm not sure if those are "right" or not. So basically I want to know which key I am in and how to figure out which key it is. Thanks
Quote by alternatum
Hi, ive recorded a backing track to play over and the chords are A minor, E minor, F major 7, and the first four strings of G major. I have been soloing over it with the minor pentatonic scale in G and E but I'm not sure if those are "right" or not. So basically I want to know which key I am in and how to figure out which key it is. Thanks

Well, all of those chords are in A minor.

these scales would be appropriate...

A natural minor

A minor pentatonic

A minor blues
shred is gaudy music
Try to follow each chord, playing in one key over an entire progression is just going to sound boring and aimless.
Quote by alternatum
how do you know they are in A minor?

It a sequence that is diatonic to the a minor scale, the chords are i - v - VI - VII
You are in the Key of C, or A aoelian. I have a distaste for using scale shapes for soloing and composition in general but here they are nonetheless.

C major
A natural minor (Aeolian)
A minor pentatonic, but could sound a bit sterile.
A blues

And the modal scales of C major, but if you don't know them and are seeking instant gratification then the above are the way to go.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
Quote by alternatum

Well, you would have to be familiar with keys, and what chords are in them.

Some time studying music theory will get you there.

Quote by ride-the-spiral
You are in the Key of C, or A aoelian. I have a distaste for using scale shapes for soloing and composition in general but here they are nonetheless.

C major
A blues

And the modal scales of C major, but if you don't know them and are seeking instant gratification then the above are the way to go.

Well, a couple of things...

- there is no key of A aeolian. There is A minor though.... that is the key. The term aeolian is not really necessary or appropriate here.

- If you use the "C Major scale" to solo in that context, your going to hear it as (the notes function as) the Am scale, so there is no reason to suggest using the C Major scale especially when you have the A minor scale as a suggestion...... unnecessarily redundant.

A natural minor
A pentatonic minor
A minor blues
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by alternatum

because the notes in all of those cords fit into a minor. play over the a minor scale and try to land on the notes of the chord that your playing over. and btw, the first 4 strings of G major still has all the same notes as all 6 strings
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by ride-the-spiral

C major
A blues

He is most definitely NOT in the key of C major.
He is. He is in the Key of C major and the mode of A aeolian.

A natural minor is not a key in its own right.

EDIT: To say he is in A minor would require a G#,
So we push forward

Last.fm
Last edited by ride-the-spiral at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by ride-the-spiral

What? Of course A minor is a key, you can't call something that is based around the tonality of an A minor chord Cmajor. The harmony points towards a minor, there isn't even a C major chord in the progression. A minor might share the same notes as C major, but that is irrelevant in this case.

The G# is a common thing in minor keys, but its not necessarily uncommon for it to be natural.
Last edited by Flobbey at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by ride-the-spiral

Wrong. He's in A minor. C major has nothing to do with it. Neither do modes. There is no reason to call this progressing ANYTHING except an A minor progression.

Really? The entire basis of the system of Western music seems to disagree with you. Your statement is 100% wrong.

A minor often includes a G# as a leading tone back to the tonic, and also creates a stronger resolution by changing the v chord to a V (for a stronger V - i resolution).

Your theory knowledge is severely lacking.
Last edited by timeconsumer09 at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by timeconsumer09
Wrong. He's in A minor. C major has nothing to do with it. Neither do modes. There is no reason to call this progressing ANYTHING except an A minor progression.

Really? The entire basis of the system of Western music seems to disagree with you. Your statement is 100% wrong.

A minor often includes a G# as a leading tone back to the tonic, and also creates a stronger resolution by changing the v chord to a V (for a stronger V - i resolution).

Your theory knowledge is severely lacking.

I've always been told to think of this as an A aeolian, it centres around the A minor but all the notes are in C. I find it a bit confusing to think that when all of the notes used are in C, but it centres around A as minor wherease if it was to centre around D or F it would be called a dorian or lydian respectively.

Why should it be considered a key in its own right with A and C but as modes with the rest of the notes?
So we push forward

Last.fm
would it sound right if you use F or G major pentatonics to solo over a progression in C mayor or A minor?
Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo
No, because they use different notes.

Unless you didn't play the F# in G major

edit: that was a joke by the way. Using G major pentatonic over a chord progression of Am or C would be in that key and not in G major.
Last edited by forza21 at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by ride-the-spiral

Why should it be considered a key in its own right with A and C but as modes with the rest of the notes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonal_music
Because tonal is based around a major or minor tonality, as opposed to modal music which obviously utilizes the modes. The latter being alot more uncommon than the first.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
alternatum, go with guitarmunky with this one.... the rest of these guys are playing with themselves.

And your Gminor pentatonic will add some nice colour to the mix on some of the chords (as I guess you found out thru your own experimenting)
Quote by evolucian
.... the rest of these guys are playing with themselves.

??

Along with that Gm pent you can slip and slide into the Em blues which would flavour a few of the chords as the Bb is constant in the two scales. Using the Bb at the right time could give a phrygian flavour to the Am chord... against the Fmaj7 it will give an 11th extension... all goes to taste and preference in the end. But I still maintain you pay attention to GuitarMunky on this one
Last edited by evolucian at Aug 29, 2009,
Technically, you should play A Minor over that. But what you must remember, that if it sounds good, it's good, and that's it.
Rubys.
We could change the world if we had the source code.