Hi this is my first time posting on these forums, I started lurking here yesterday...

anyways ive been playing guitar for about 10 months, Im having extreme difficulty playing breaking the plateau for guitar shredding speed.

I am trying to learn the Solo to Alter Bridge's - Open Your Eyes solo by Mark Tremonti, and I have been using the speed trainer on my guitar pro 5.5 program, but the highest speed I can do is about 70% with no error.

What can I do to improve my speed?

Also I heard theres a thread where I can post a webcam video for you guys to critique, can I post it here? Where is that thread?

Please help.
You've been playing for 10 months, you can't expect to playing at 'shredding speed'.

To get faster, all you need to is practice. Just keep trying to play faster and in the end you will. Play the solo over and over again, making sure you're completely clean all the time.

Doing 4 note per string chormatic runs will help get your left hand faster and accurate aswell.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
you should practice for accuracy and not speed, which is oddly the best way to increase speed

and i guess you can post a youtube link in here, i dont think there is a specific place for vids
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
alright guys thanks for the replies! I definitely need more left hand accuracy, especially for shredding and sweep picking

I will make a video in just a minute and post it here
Quote by pigeonmafia
You've been playing for 10 months, you can't expect to playing at 'shredding speed'.

To get faster, all you need to is practice. Just keep trying to play faster and in the end you will. Play the solo over and over again, making sure you're completely clean all the time.

Doing 4 note per string chormatic runs will help get your left hand faster and accurate aswell.

yes another problem is that the strings make unintentional noises say on pull-offs, which creates some buzzing noises.

youll notice in the video
Quote by ChadHydro
As others mentioned, practice! That's really the key to guitar (and well, anything in life ). Also make sure you're playing the solos as SLOW as possible. The slower you play the easier your brain can commit the solo to muscle memory which will enable you to play it with your eyes closed.

Good point, its interesting I was reading the 21 day challenge thread 20 minutes ago, and that exactly what I did to get the solo speed from 30% to 70%, but in less than 21 days. I practiced it to a point where I could play it with my eyes closed, but not enough speed
your rythmn wasnt too bad. but to be honest, i think you should practice on solos that are MUCH easier than that one at this point in time. i dont mean to offend btw just a suggestion
You're not going to be "shredding" after 10 months - maybe after a couple of years.

It's not a race, there's no prize for getting to the hardest thing in the shortest time possible - concentrate on learning to play the thing. Focus on accuracy, playing cleanly, using your ears and actually understanding how the guitar works musically. Speed isn't a skill and faster=/= better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You're not going to be "shredding" after 10 months - maybe after a couple of years.

It's not a race, there's no prize for getting to the hardest thing in the shortest time possible - concentrate on learning to play the thing. Focus on accuracy, playing cleanly, using your ears and actually understanding how the guitar works musically. Speed isn't a skill and faster=/= better.

Quote by Elden G20
your rythmn wasnt too bad. but to be honest, i think you should practice on solos that are MUCH easier than that one at this point in time. i dont mean to offend btw just a suggestion

/thread
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
k thanks for the replies guys, i didnt post those videos to show good I was I know i have alot of work left to do!

What I would love to understand is music theory, ive tried learning it and so far ive learned the chromatic scale (lol its not a big accomplishment, but now I know what notes im hitting!), the minor pentatonic scales.

I would love to know how to make my own chords, and I would love to be able to construct my own solos
Your rhythm playing is ok but your lead playing is downright terrible...you're trying to play things that are too hard for you too quickly and that's going to get you nowhere.

Stop being so impatient, slow down and focus on your timing, fretting cleanly and accurately, playing with both hands in sync, bending in tune etc etc. You've got pretty poor basic skills, you need to work on those a damnsight more before you worry about shredding. Learn some simpler solos and focus on getting them spot on.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Just a note for you Heath since you're new around here : always listen to the Seagull
unless it's on the subject of theory videos
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Exactly, new players nowadays seem to almost have video as a crutch, they feel they need to be told everything and shown every miniscule detail when in fact it's not really very difficult to figure things out for yourself...you just need pointing in the right direction.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

hey thanks guys, what do you think about Faith no More's - Epic solo? I think Ive got it down to a tee along with the rest of the song, will make a video shortly. Also Ive got Candlebox's- Far Behind solo too.

I really want to learn bark on the moon by Ozzy, but the whole Staccato technique is vague and foriegn to me. For example strumming the open A string while hitting the G power chord.
I agree with all the posts man....settle down for alittle bit and enjoy playing guitar....shredding and playing fast is fun but it takes a long ass time to do it and be able to do it right....and its kinda pointless to play stuff so complex if you don't know the method behind it....

I read u said you know the minor pentatonic scale...sweet! That's a good start but try to learn solos that are minor pentatonic...try some jimi or srv or clapton....you may not like blues or classic rock but its all part of your develpoment!!lol even some zakk wylde solos off old ozzy records are pretty much minor pentatonics...

What I'm trying to say is trying to play something by mark tremonti that goes beyond the minor pentatonic scale is gonna throw you off if u don't know the scale he is using pretty solid...

I would make sure I knew the minor pentatonic scale all the way not just A on the 5th fret...learn every key in every position till u know every note on the guitar...its all a big crossword puzzle that you just piece together...after that maybe learn the regular minor scale which is 7 notesm..you'll be amazed how much cooler your leads will sound with just 2 more notes!!!...then before long you will realize your ready to play a lot more stuff

I don't know if this helped but its how I got to the place I'm at now...I always thought of it as like a video game like mortal kombat where you start on the bottom and you win and you go up....start at the bottom with srv amd jimi then everytime you learn how to play a certain players style so good that you can almost think like them and put on a song by them you've never even heard and instictivly know what their gonna do then you move up...and somewhere during all that you'll be able to construct your OWN solos and they will be cool

This may be a dumb way but that's how I've always approached learning new stuff

Good luck bro!....and have fun...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I pretty much agree with all the other posts - your rhythm is coming along nicely, but your lead needs a good amount of work. Working on simpler solos will actually help you develop your lead skills faster. Playing lead well is really all down to taking the core fundamental skills - picking, your timing in general, the dexterity of your fretting hand, the sync between your hands, bending, vibrato, legato, slides/position shifts and working on them until they are really, really solid. Watch a really fantastic player like Paul Gilbert (GOD) and that's all he's really doing - using those same basic skills, just like you and me. The only difference is that he's perfected them to an unbelievably high level.
Working on simpler solos allows you to focus on a few trickier bits, whereas with harder solos everything is too much and your effort is spread too thin.

Keep working on it, and best of luck!