Hello guitar techniques forum, Im just wondering if you would have time to answer two little questions
1) Can anyone give me information about the left hand thumb placement of barre chords?
2) Im having pain on my left hand in between my thumb and pointer finger. Any tips?

Thanks for reading!
1)Same as usual, opposite the middle finger.
2)Ligament damage, rest it for a few days, I get it alot
The proper technique is to have your thumb flat against the back of the fretboard. Barre chords are going to hurt at first, make no mistake about it. It's like lifting weights in a sense. But it shouldn't hurt really bad so try adjusting your hand until the pain diminishes if this is the case
The pain only comes while Im playing though, but only when I'm playing rythm, I can play leads without any pain there, so I think it's my left hand placement during powerchords and barre chords. Can anyone help me on this??
Last edited by Rancid Ivy at Aug 25, 2009,
same thing happened to me when I was starting out and learning barre chords, I couldn't play though all of Glycerin because it hurt, but just rest it a bit and keep practicing and it'll stop hurting after a while. Hell, I completely forgot that it hurt until I read your post
Quote by LuckyBoys91
+ ****ing 1

i've got a point

Quote by Pr0gNut
No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.

TSHM.
Quote by saladforkspear
same thing happened to me when I was starting out and learning barre chords, I couldn't play though all of Glycerin because it hurt, but just rest it a bit and keep practicing and it'll stop hurting after a while. Hell, I completely forgot that it hurt until I read your post

well, even when I play just power chords it does this and I just ignored the pain until today -_- The pain only comes when I move the shape around so I guess It's my left hand placement.
If you have a have a lot of pain between your thumb and your first finger you are probably putting too much pressure on your hand.

Try easing off the pressure in your hand and playing in increments as long as the chord still sounds good. Barre chords can be painful initially, until the hand muscles strengthen and develop. If the pain isn't going away, definitely take a look at the pressure you're using and try some different grips.
Quote by NapalmNewt
If you have a have a lot of pain between your thumb and your first finger you are probably putting too much pressure on your hand.

Try easing off the pressure in your hand and playing in increments as long as the chord still sounds good. Barre chords can be painful initially, until the hand muscles strengthen and develop. If the pain isn't going away, definitely take a look at the pressure you're using and try some different grips.

Thanks!