So I am seeking advice on what to do here. My band has finally hit the 70 show mark and to some its a big achievement and to some its not too great but its blown me away.

Now the last 5 shows there has been this guy who started showing up and getting good friends with the rest of the band members but me (they all smoke a little something that i dont..) and they all let him jam at our shows... once in awhile is great i think but thats all he wants to do now. and when he jams he does drug on solos that don't go anywhere...

Now I realize I am cutting him down but the real point i am trying to make is from many friends of mine and a few people at shows i hear how they hate hearing the guy up there.... and I have tried to talk to the singer about it since hes the one who has more pull in the band then anyone else and he just says , "Don't worry about it alot of bands let people come up and jam with them, you need to just have a good time and don't take this seriously."

well jamming here and there is fine like i said but hes always doing it and most times he comes right before he wants to jam and leaves right after like hes trying to show off and doesn't support us... I have fun at shows but things need to be serious to.. the singer always complains saying we need to treat gigs like a business well from a business standpoint, the bars and employers are paying for our talent and entertainment.. not his and if we do shows before for them they expect the same quality of entertainment....

so anyways suggestions on what to do?
You're absolutely right.

Its your bands show, not some other guys. He shouldn't even be jamming. Sure, "other bands" do it sometimes; but it tends to be professional bands who allow other professional musicians come on and jam a bit.

A concert is not really the place for a jam session, that's what you do when you practice. Unless your playing jazz or a style of music that calls for some relatively brief improv moments there shouldn't be any improv at all.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
I wouldn't say that there shouldn't be any improv...i improvise almost all my solos at shows. that said, all jamming should be done with official band members. if this guy isn't part of the band, than he shouldn't be playing shows with you.
Too cool for a signature.
A couple of things.

If the singer(who has the most pull)doesn't mind, and the other guys are friends with Jam Man, I'm not sure what you can do to stop it.

This pure speculation on my part, but there may be a bit of supply and demand going on at the "smoking" sessions. If that's the case, it is even less likely you can put a stop to it.

Personally, I don't like Jam guys of any kind, so I can sympathize. Sorry, no good advice, other than wait it out. Sooner or later Jam guys usually go away. They either wear out their welcome, or get bored with your band and move along to another.
The real thing to do with "jam guys" is to not give them an instrument at all. This can be for a variety of reasons, but my primary ones are;

(a) it's my concert, not his
(b) the jam guy is usually drunk/drugged up, so instruments could be damaged
(c) it usually sounds like crap

They're actually pretty good reasons.

It's interesting to note that your band could be together for so long, and still be willing to insert a random into a well-practiced song so that it destroys the pacing of your show. If they can't see what the audience is reportedly telling them, you must be playing to some very nice crowds or they are simply not getting feedback after the show.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The way I see it - it's your band's reputation on the line, not his.

Tell him to get his own band, or just offer to let him jam with you during practice....or if the rest of the band still wants to let him play, make him PRACTICE his parts with the band instead of just jumping up on stage and jamming aimlessly.

But of course..."Smoke is thicker than water..." Or something like that. If you're the only band member that doesn't want him up there, chances are you'll just have to deal with it or leave the band.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Just be like "Cheers, but we really don't need any more people in the band."
OR get some crazy angry security guy
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
I think I'm more upset listening to you describe this guy than you were in your post!

I'd be outraged that someone who put in zero effort towards your music thinks he has the right to jump up on stage and join (ruin) your preformance just because he (supposedly) slings dope to your bandmates.

...and it seems to me as though he does it in a very arrogant and disrespectful way, which is maybe the worst part.

do you trust that something is not going on behind the scenes? or maybe behind your back?

...like maybe this guy is trying to squeeze himself into the picture more permanently?
I have to agree. Win or lose on stage, its your decison to make. I would hate it. You'll have to decide whats more important to you, blazing, or performing without interuptions. If he's a dick about it, you could lose your connection. But I think it would be worth it.

TS: I dont envy you. That s*** would drive me nuts. If ol' boy jumped on my stage, I dont know what I'd do.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
i mean we allow people to get up and play with us everynow and then, but they are all fairly well known members of the music scene and its always on our invitation that would be made at the very least two or three days before the show, not just last minute.

And i didnt even know people like the person described existed, you just have to talk to your band man and if that doesnt work you just have to figure out whether you wanna suck it up or walk. Thats the only advice i got for ya
Quote by dmiwshicldply
i mean we allow people to get up and play with us everynow and then, but they are all fairly well known members of the music scene and its always on our invitation that would be made at the very least two or three days before the show, not just last minute.

Of course. I never do collaborations lest its with other locally well known musicians.

How the **** are you even letting this guy go up there and jam? My band would be a wreck if we let every shmuck with an instrument come up and play. We have songs that must be played tight, in sync, and well co-ordinated so we dont look like crap.

Get this guy out of here. Your singer is wrong- most bands DO NOT let random guys come up and jam unless it has been discussed prior and arrangements have been made
Quote by Highwaytohell
Of course. I never do collaborations lest its with other locally well known musicians.

How the **** are you even letting this guy go up there and jam? My band would be a wreck if we let every shmuck with an instrument come up and play. We have songs that must be played tight, in sync, and well co-ordinated so we dont look like crap.

Get this guy out of here. Your singer is wrong- most bands DO NOT let random guys come up and jam unless it has been discussed prior and arrangements have been made

this.
even when slash shows up at a BLS show, there's a backstage courtesy call that takes place before he and Zakk do a call & response bit.