what key is the song emergency in from paramore. it doesnt sound like there is a home chord because the song keeps ending on different chords and starting on different chords.
i dont get how the chords can be from A major yet be in D lydian. if you suggested the key to be A major then shouldnt the tonic be A?
Quote by Unreal T
i dont get how the chords can be from A major yet be in D lydian. if you suggested the key to be A major then shouldnt the tonic be A?

A major and D lydian share the same key signature and therefor the same chords.
Quote by Unreal T
could it be in F# minor? that was my original guess

Minor keys generally contain major V chords and there isn't a single C# major chord in that whole song.
Last edited by pwrmax at Aug 25, 2009,
It D major and often switching to F# minor listening to the song/ checking with an instrument
Quote by Flobbey
It D major and often switching to F# minor listening to the song/ checking with an instrument

The key of D major does not contain an E major chord, which occurs often during the verses.
Songs in A major typically have a strong presence of the A major chord, which occurs only once during the refrain and twice during the chorus ... and not once during the verses.
i dont think its in A at all because there are hardly any resolutions or any kind of A tonic in the song. it mostly sounds centered around D and F#

even though A major has all the same notes as d lydian and F#minor i wouldnt call it at all in the key of A because of what i just said before
Last edited by Unreal T at Aug 25, 2009,
Dmajor for the most part. Assuming the tab I looked at is correct, the chords are D, E, F#m and Bm. The notes from them all fit into D maj except for the major 3rd in the E chord (G#). G is the 4th scale degree of the Dmaj scale so sharpening it makes it D lydian.

I haven't got a guitar with me so I can't play it and my theory isn't good enough for me just to tell how it best resolves, but I would say just stick with Dmaj using E as an outside chord. If you are soloing over it I guess Dmaj or D lydian would all sound pretty good (maybe avoid the perfect 4th of Dmaj over the E chord)