My teacher taught me an exercise:
He told me this is how a song can sound blues-y. So he told me to finger the A open chord (XX123X). Then he told me to put my pinky on the 4th string, 4th fret. Practice picking the 4th string with and without the pinky while keeping the A chord fingering.

Man...I just think my pinky is too short. I can barely reach the 3rd fret with my pinky while fingering the A chord. Is it just my pinky not flexible enough or is it too short?
sounds like an Amaj7.

Try using your first finger as a barre to cover all the strings you play at the 2nd fret, then use you're ring finger to finger the 4th fret on the high E
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak
Quote by metal_shredder0
Try using your first finger as a barre to cover all the strings you play at the 2nd fret, then use you're ring finger to finger the 4th fret on the high E

That defeats the entire point of the exercise which, I am guessing at least, is an attempt to prove overall precision and pinky strength. I did the same kind of thing, only not with the chord. If I'm understanding it right, what I did is I sat with my guitar and did nothing but constant Hammeerons/Pulloffs while watching videos on the internet for like 2 hours. If you just do it a bunch, your strength builds pretty fast.

If the whole point is just a cool bluesy sounding thing with your pinky, then do what metal_shredder0 said, that's definitely easier.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
Quote by OneTimer1127
That defeats the entire point of the exercise which, I am guessing at least, is an attempt to prove overall precision and pinky strength. I did the same kind of thing, only not with the chord. If I'm understanding it right, what I did is I sat with my guitar and did nothing but constant Hammeerons/Pulloffs while watching videos on the internet for like 2 hours. If you just do it a bunch, your strength builds pretty fast.

If the whole point is just a cool bluesy sounding thing with your pinky, then do what metal_shredder0 said, that's definitely easier.

If you insist on using all 4 fingers, try putting your thumb behind the middle of the neck instead of wrapped around the neck, this position gives you more finger flexibility
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak