i need to know a good scale to use over a reggae song using G and F major chords

i feel like a shouldnt just stick to major pentatonics so maybe some one can help
If only G and F are used, that progression implies F lydian. If C major or A minor are used anywhere, it will either be in C major or A minor, depending on where it resolves.
C7 - B7 is a bII7 - I7 progression in the key of B. It uses tritone substitution. You should probably pick your melody based on what works over each individual chord, rather than trying to find a scale which works. This progression will require more than one scale.
Quote by isaac_bandits
C7 - B7 is a bII7 - I7 progression in the key of B. It uses tritone substitution. You should probably pick your melody based on what works over each individual chord, rather than trying to find a scale which works. This progression will require more than one scale.

im srry what exactly do you mean by pick a melody based on what works over chords
Play different things over each chord. There's no one magical scale which works over a C7-B7-D7 progression. So look at the chord tones, and base your melodies on that, and add in whatever other notes sound good.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Play different things over each chord. There's no one magical scale which works over a C7-B7-D7 progression. So look at the chord tones, and base your melodies on that, and add in whatever other notes sound good.

maybe you could help me what would you use over that progression

or could you give me an example
It would depend entirely on the voicings of the chords, the time signature, when the chords change, and what sound you want on it.

I'm not much of a reggae guy, so my phrasing would probably be somewhat different than yours.
Which octaves the notes are in. If any notes are omitted. What note is in the treble. Which notes are doubled or tripled, What note is in the bass. Are there any ornamentations.

That sort of thing.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Which octaves the notes are in. If any notes are omitted. What note is in the treble. Which notes are doubled or tripled, What note is in the bass. Are there any ornamentations.

That sort of thing.

its just regular g major and f major what voicings is that
Quote by timeconsumer09
I'm assuming he means open G and first fret barre F.

exactly thank you maybe you can help me
Quote by boobinski
exactly thank you maybe you can help me

I have no idea about timing. What time signature? Are the chords strummed? If so, what strumming pattern? If not, how are they played? When do the chords change?
Quote by isaac_bandits
I have no idea about timing. What time signature? Are the chords strummed? If so, what strumming pattern? If not, how are they played? When do the chords change?

TS, answer these questions and we can help more. Even further in depth, what are the drums/other instruments doing? 2 chords can't define a song.
well its a 4/4 timing you play G for two maesures and F for two maesurs they are strummed on the off-beats like a classic reggae strum
are you sure it's not Gminor, because that would be a very common reggae progression, Gmaj to Fmaj is not really. at all.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by aetherspear
are you sure it's not Gminor, because that would be a very common reggae progression, Gmaj to Fmaj is not really. at all.

im sure G and F are both major its just a very uplifting song mostly major
Quote by boobinski
well its a 4/4 timing you play G for two maesures and F for two maesurs they are strummed on the off-beats like a classic reggae strum

I told you already that G major to F major implies F lydian.

I was asking about the other section the C7 B7 D7 progression.
Quote by isaac_bandits

Not to be nit picky, but C7 B7 is not a tri tone sub. I can see why you would think that, but for it to be a tritone sub, it would have to go, B7 Cdim C7. The Cdim could be a Cdim7
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by Four-Sticks
Only a noob wouldn't have mentioned mixolydian by now....

can you name any reggae songs in mixolydian? eh? Maybe you're the noob
Quote by tubatom868686
Not to be nit picky, but C7 B7 is not a tri tone sub. I can see why you would think that, but for it to be a tritone sub, it would have to go, B7 Cdim C7. The Cdim could be a Cdim7

No. A tritone sub is a bII7 - I progression.

Just so you believe me, I'll give some refrences:

http://www.apassion4jazz.net/tritone.html
http://www.jazzguitar.be/tritone_chord_substitution.html
http://www.teoria.com/reference/t/tritone.htm

The progression C7 - B would be that progression in B major. This progression replaces the B with a B7 which is a B chord with the added dominant seventh, and the C7 can thus still resolve to it.
You can probably use G mixolydian and G minor pentatonic. It's very unlikely that F lydian would be useful.
It would be nice to hear the actual song - is it a cover?

If this progression was given to me, I'd assume that there was a key change to Bm for the chorus (assuming that the Bm/Dmaj was the chorus) and the verse was in Gmaj.

I would solo over the verses using G maj over the G chord, G mixy over the F and B minor/B pentatonic over the chorus.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Alright. Try singing a solo over the stupid thing, and then try to play what your voice does. no theory, no nothing. Just "What sounds good". This is raggae for god's sake, not ****ing bebop.
Quote by brownsfan456
Anything is possible with music which is sooo awesome

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
Quote by KenjiBeast
Alright. Try singing a solo over the stupid thing, and then try to play what your voice does. no theory, no nothing. Just "What sounds good". This is raggae for god's sake, not ****ing bebop.

This is always the answer when all theoretical explanations fail.
Quote by KenjiBeast

The vocal melody would be in a scale also. So there is music theory.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud