Hey guys. im currently in a state of writing for my band. and im sick of all this generic metalcore. So ive been trying to find riffs and what not but its kinda hard when you dont know theroy =/ so i was wondering if you guys can help me out with a few scales i should learn and get out of that generic sound. i love the music i play, i just hate the crappy riffs i always hear from so many bands. and i want to move pass that.
so any ideas or techniques or anything would be lovely to get pass this writers block.

i want my sound to kinda be like misery signals and veil of maya :X

thanks in return. (:

My Gear
Esp ltd EC-256
Gibson epoch.
Lauren Acoustic.
Peavey Rage 158.
Boss metal zone mt-2.
Digitech RP 90.
The only scales you should worry about are the major scale, and the natural minor scale. To get away from genericism you'll have to do something, which we can't tell you, since you need to make it unique and your own. Learn major and minor harmony as it will help you in writting just about anything.
Quote by isaac_bandits
The only scales you should worry about are the major scale, and the natural minor scale. To get away from genericism you'll have to do something, which we can't tell you, since you need to make it unique and your own. Learn major and minor harmony as it will help you in writting just about anything.

Thanks man. and i know just like im stuck with the same chords ive been figuring out. and im just in a slump where i cant figure out anymore riffs that i like =[
but yeah ill look thoses up man. thank you for advice

My Gear
Esp ltd EC-256
Gibson epoch.
Lauren Acoustic.
Peavey Rage 158.
Boss metal zone mt-2.
Digitech RP 90.
Quote by Webrokeyourbed
Thanks man. and i know just like im stuck with the same chords ive been figuring out. and im just in a slump where i cant figure out anymore riffs that i like =[
but yeah ill look thoses up man. thank you for advice

Play with the rhythm when you don't like your riffs. Play chords which you don't know what they'll sound like, and see how it goes. You'll try alot of stuff that doesn't work, but sometimes you find something which you really like that isn't 'correct'.
i like to pick a scale and a chord or two that sound good for what i have in mind and just play. Random, off the top of my head. Put it in Powertab and play around with stuff like tempo and all that. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
Last edited by zcleghern at Aug 25, 2009,
It's from a movie, just cant remember which...lol anyways what that last guy said about it not always being "correct". That is very true. You don't want to sound too mechanical, too robotic (right words?). A little out of key sometimes can sound really good, if you know what youre doing.
i play in stardard, drop D, Drop C

So yeah. -.-

My Gear
Esp ltd EC-256
Gibson epoch.
Lauren Acoustic.
Peavey Rage 158.
Boss metal zone mt-2.
Digitech RP 90.
Quote by zcleghern
It's from a movie, just cant remember which...lol anyways what that last guy said about it not always being "correct". That is very true. You don't want to sound too mechanical, too robotic (right words?). A little out of key sometimes can sound really good, if you know what youre doing.

There's no such thing as "a little out of key". Either you're in or you're out.

What you're trying to tell him is to use chromatics.

And no one is mechanical or robotic when playing in key. It's how they play the notes that gives it that boring and monotonous sound
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Last edited by allislost at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by Webrokeyourbed
i play in stardard, drop D, Drop C

So yeah. -.-

Tuning is unimportant. Note choice will determine if your song is good or not.
Quote by Webrokeyourbed
i want my sound to kinda be like misery signals and veil of maya :X

thanks in return. (:

... when you want to sound like a certain band or incorporate their sounds into yours, the obvious solution is to learn their songs and/or riffs.

anyway...

Veil of Maya - random and uninspiring riffs put together into the same key.

Misery Signals - good well rounded band.

Quote by allislost
... when you want to sound like a certain band or incorporate their sounds into yours, the obvious solution is to learn their songs and/or riffs.

anyway...

Veil of Maya - random and uninspiring riffs put together into the same key.

Misery Signals - good well rounded band.

well duh lol. you dont think i have? xD
why is half of UG trolls? =[

My Gear
Esp ltd EC-256
Gibson epoch.
Lauren Acoustic.
Peavey Rage 158.
Boss metal zone mt-2.
Digitech RP 90.
Some things to avoid: be in the key of *DROP TUNING* minor/major all of the time.. strict minor 3rd harmony.. simple time. That's not to say that you can't do anything unique with the aforementioned -- that's far from the truth -- however, you're looking for some quick answer, and there they are.

There isn't a whole lot of theoretical advice that can help you break the mold since most of the time the mold has little to do with theory. I'd recommend branching out in your playing. Learn some riffs from some of Death's album Human and later.
When in doubt, make the bassist write the music xD

Lol, jk. Hmm... metalcore has a lot of melodic elements to it from what I understand but the rhythm guitarists in metalcore usually don't play complicated progressions or anything for that matter. Drop it down to C and make a chord progression in C minor and then solo over it?

Also, if you don't like it, don't do it.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Last edited by Misticalz at Aug 26, 2009,
Listen to completely different bands then your used to. For the hell of it check out some trance, prog rock, blues and whatnot. Then when you've found interesting bits (they're there even if the music isnt what you like) you can try and incorparate them in your music. Giving this "generic" metalcore, your own unique flavour.

Also, just blatantly steal stuff. Get a cool groovy rhtyhm from one song, get a melody from another one, and start messing about and mix them up. You migh just ifnd interesting new riffs in the process.
Quote by Webrokeyourbed
well duh lol. you dont think i have? xD
why is half of UG trolls? =[

If you're too stupid to add what you've learned to your playing, then knowing some scale, chord, or technique will not help you.

Last edited by allislost at Aug 26, 2009,
lawl.

My Gear
Esp ltd EC-256
Gibson epoch.
Lauren Acoustic.
Peavey Rage 158.
Boss metal zone mt-2.
Digitech RP 90.
One thing I've found is it really helps to play with backing tracks since something my sound bad on it's own but awesome in a full band setting.

Also stay away from generic chug-chugga-chug open string breakdowns.
Look up "The Number 12 Looks Like You"

Mathcore band and they're definitely not generic. I can't guarentee you'll like the vocals, but they're far from generic.

You don't need theory to make unique stuff.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
If you want some metal thats really ungeneric, check out the album The Red in The Sky is Ours, its from At The Gates, a band that got famous for their later stuff, its their first album, and its somewhat odd and obscure, but it really has some of the best riffs and atmosphere in just about any metal album I've ever heard. It takes some time to learn and understand all the riffs and arrangements though.
Quote by zcleghern

Anchorman.

On topic, try writing without your guitar. Decide how you want it to sound and then figure out how to play it. That should prevent generic muscle-memory riffs.
I was gonna recommend some At The Gates as well. Slaughter of the Soul's one of my favourite albums, but their earlier stuff is a bit more interesting and unusual. And some Swedish melodeath in general: Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, all that kinda stuff. They're some of the biggest influences on metalcore; I'm not familiar with the bands you mentioned but I was a big metalcore fan a few years ago and listened to bands like Killswitch Engage and Trivium (first 2 albums), and both of them are very clearly influenced by melodic death metal, along with thrashy and groovy stuff (Pantera etc.). They might be good for getting some inspiration for things that are more unusual but will still work.