OK, so I downpick everything. Is that bad? I've only been playing guitar seriously for not long now. When I'm playing scales or even playing random riffs or w/e I downpick everything

I want to know if this is bad, and if it is, any tips of getting out of the habit, lol
Yeah, you should be able to alternate pick without any trouble. Just make yourself do it whenever you play and it should become like second nature.
I suppose it's not bad if you can play everything you want. There will come a time when alternate picking is necessary to do what you want I promise. Some things you just can't downpick haha Until then I don't really think you're hurting yourself; if anything you're building up amazing downpicking skills!
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
You mean you downpick everything YOU can play. You can't downpick everything, including most solo's. So eventually you'll get to a point where you have to learn it, or you'll never get any farther.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 25, 2009,
Quote by Ramza126
any tips of getting out of the habit, lol

Yes. Stop downpicking everything. What a stupid question.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Yes. Stop downpicking everything. What a stupid question.

haha your like a super cynical stevenseagull. that just made my day
I busted my ass on master of puppets for a good month until i thought stuff this, and just alternate picked it.
Guitar FTW
Quote by Elden G20
haha your like a super cynical stevenseagull. that just made my day

If he sounds like Steven Seagull that just means he's right
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Ramza126

I want to know if this is bad, and if it is, any tips of getting out of the habit, lol

Did you actually laugh out loud when you typed that?

Anyways, just start alternate picking slowly with the strings muted, then gradually speed it up and slow it back down.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If he sounds like Steven Seagull that just means he's right

yeah too true steven seagull just tells them everything in black and white, this guy does that and then insults them
Quote by Ramza126
any tips of getting out of the habit, lol

Practice alternate picking so you can get used to it