Page 1 of 2
Alright so heres the deal Im startin a new project its more of a customization. So I got my Agile Al-2000 sunburst and I wanna modify to look like this guitar

MY AGILE

What I want it to look like

I know that that one is a diffrent quality flame but i dont care I just want the basic Idea you know? reliced like that too look old. I plan on aging the finish, adding some blood spinners or knob idicators getting a yellow pickup selector top or yellowing the one on it (I superglued it on.....but thats another story) Remove the pickups covers, age the hardware, add a gibson headstock decal and just relic it to look like a 59' les paul!

I will be posting about every day or everyother day and will add a lot of images, this thread will be pic heavy. Any suggestions on how to make it more like a 59' les paul i greatly apreciated or tips on how to do something, I really need help yellowing the poly finish...and the plastic and got no idea how to age the hardware so any help much appreciated.
Guitars
Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine white
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
So first thing I did today was to remove the pickup covers ad here are some pics of how it went.

Taking everything off, looks bad with covers in my opinion. PS Sorry for the not super quality of all these pics im using the camera on my 3GS for all these.

1 cover off, one to go

both off one in pickup ring

Both on mounting rings

All hardware on starting to look sexy now huh?
Next I wanna age the plastic and hardware and finish so any tips on how to do that are much appreciated thanx!
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
If you live in a very sunny area i.e. Arizona or SoCal, put all of the plastic out in the sun all day, every day, for a month. Then report back. This will be the most natural method.

If you do not want to slash don't have the patience slash can't do this, I've heard small amounts of acid (not the drug, but actual acid i.e. Hydrochloric but don't use that because it's so strong) and tobacco smoke?
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
lol i live in washington no way theres any sunlight here, but what other ways other than acid can I use? and for the pickup selector switch you think I could just color it with a sharpie or something i accidently superglued it on...
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
It's funny, because the British Magazine "Guitar" had a series of articles on how to Relic a guitar to make it look like a '59...Though last issue was the last one.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
So that spray might actually make it look darker? I was wonderin about yellowing the finish but then found out it was a poly finish which sucks so now I got no idea how to yellow it i was thinking maybe some sort of dye over the top?
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
Quote by AntiG3
It's funny, because the British Magazine "Guitar" had a series of articles on how to Relic a guitar to make it look like a '59...Though last issue was the last one.

Did you happen to read it?
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
Quote by DarkStarzInc.
So that spray might actually make it look darker? I was wonderin about yellowing the finish but then found out it was a poly finish which sucks so now I got no idea how to yellow it i was thinking maybe some sort of dye over the top?

no it isnt!

Tinted Clear Coat Aerosol

Another product that the customers asked for.... Tinted Clear Coat is now available in either a gloss or satin finish.

The nitrocellulose clear coat has been tinted with a slight amber/yellow dye blend to replicate the look of aged lacquer. The tinted clear can be used to age a color, new bindings, pickguards or age the typical wear areas of a relic.
so what i just spray it over the poly?
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
UPDATE!!!

Ok so I know, changed the pickup selector switch to a dark yellow one(I cut the other one off with some pliers and snips...) I added the blood spinners or knob indicators, and I tried yellowing the finish with kiwi brown shoe polish tried same with plastic....didnt work so i still need help with this part. As soon as im done with all of this I plan on relicing hardware then adding the gibson headstock logo.

PS. Since i took off the covers ive noticed the whatever pickup i use sorta vibrates and makes a weird sound when i touch it i can feel it vib then i push harder and it stops. How can i fix this?
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
where can i get that stuff?
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
Quote by DarkStarzInc.
so what i just spray it over the poly?

You have two options:

a) Completely remove poly finish, but you risk taking off the veneer and colors with it.

b) Scruff up finish and use it as a primer/base and spray nitro over it.

This is just imo, so take it with a grain of salt, but I think it would look silly/stupid to put a Gibson logo on an Agile. I'm not necessarily against putting fake brand names on guitars, but it would look ridiculous on a LP with the incorrect headstock shape and the dull horn . . .
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Quote by la bamba
This is just imo, so take it with a grain of salt, but I think it would look silly/stupid to put a Gibson logo on an Agile. I'm not necessarily against putting fake brand names on guitars, but it would look ridiculous on a LP with the incorrect headstock shape and the dull horn . . .

i agree unless you are really going to make it a gibson!

you need to shape the headstock!
and put this decal over it or inlay into a veneer for the headstock

http://www.ioffer.com/bi/pitchforkcustom--Gibson-Les-paul-whole-headstock-decal-in-pearl-effect---95314405
thats what i had planned all along, i was gonna buy one of those silkscreens or stickers, put it on cut the headstock to the right shape and add some clearcoat over it. I know the horn will look retarted, but oh well pretty much no way to fix that and i will look into buying that spray.
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
post some pics of when you finish the relic op!
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by AntiG3
http://www.testreports.co.uk/music/guitar/stock/type.asp?StockTypeID=12&source_ID=1

You can buy it there, but I'll scan the third one (the only one I have)...Covers relic'ing the finish, fitting some relic'd parts, and the electronics.

Thanx a lot this really helped
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
Quote by edge11
post some pics of when you finish the relic op!

Will do!
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
Update! 8-29

Alright so i finally got to start the relic, i took some 0000 steel wool and started rubbing it on the horn here are some pictures, i dont know if the relic is too heavy this way cuz it takes off a lot of shine if you look at it from the sides but if you look at it from the front it still shines just not as much so here are some pictures.

Side view scuffed up horn

Little farthe still has shine

So i wanna some opinions should i keep doing this to the rest of the body to get the reliced look or just leave it? also can i get some ways to relic hardware?
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
just do some around the knobs and toggle switch and aroudn the areas you pick and strum. I think doing hte whole body like that is a little overkill no?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
yeah thats what i was thiking guess i messed up with the horn but oh well ill just buff it out later. I guess ill post pics in a few hours when i do that, any idea on hardware?
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
Don't do a constant scrub with the steel wool. If all the shine is gone, it'll just look stupid.
I say this because when you play a guitar constantly over years, there are certain spots that will remain shiny. When your forearm goes across a certain part of a guitar enough, it will actually buff it because your arm is acting like one-billion grit sandpaper (or something ridiculous like that).
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
For hardware, you could make it look a bit tarnished. Dunno how that would work though.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
For hardware, you could make it look a bit tarnished. Dunno how that would work though.

I was reading somewhere somethin about like etching acid in like circuit boards? idk i think im gonna go buy some in a bit at like radio shack and give it a go, first gotta do some more research.
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
Quote by DarkStarzInc.
I was reading somewhere somethin about like etching acid in like circuit boards? idk i think im gonna go buy some in a bit at like radio shack and give it a go, first gotta do some more research.

you can test it on anything I guess. I was thinking of acid too.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by DarkStarzInc.
Yeah, it's on the third page of that article I gave you.
Quote by AntiG3
Yeah, it's on the third page of that article I gave you.

Oh ha i knew i read that somewhere! ok well i guess im getting the stuff tommorow and trying it out. Do you think this solution would work with chrome hardware or do i have to order nickel?
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
What you are talking about jmack is probably Ferric Chloride, which you can get buy in solution, or 'crystals' (although they are the size of rabbit droppings). Its not supposed to work on chrome, but any areas where the underlying metal has been exposed, like screw heads, it will attack the metal. A slightly dilute solution of vinegar can also age chrome if you spray it on and leave to dry and react over a few days. This may be more similar to guitarist sweat and give a more authentic result.
Probably no D:

Something stuff I found:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745682
http://www.relicdeluxe.com/default.asp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0i-Yz4Cm4A

edit: you can use sandpaper to grit through the chrome plating, then you can use Ferric Chloride.
Last edited by AntiG3 at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by AntiG3
Probably no D:

Something stuff I found:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745682
http://www.relicdeluxe.com/default.asp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0i-Yz4Cm4A

edit: you can use sandpaper to grit through the chrome plating, then you can use Ferric Chloride.

Ok i think im gonna do a little bit of practice on a few extra chrome guitar tuners i have lying around from a first act guittar i will probably start the relic today so stay and watch, those links seriously helped alot especially the relic deluxe. will polyeurothane check?
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
I did this to a Tokai and it looked pretty authentic but dont stop at the wire wool. . . . . . . . . .
I 0000 wire wooled it all over but then used buffing compound to take out all the swirl marks the wire wool left. Instead of going crazy to get the shine you normally would when buffing I just did it until the finish was uniform and the swirls had gone then buffed it up.

Just try the buffing compound a little then buff it off, if its too dull do a little more and so on until you get the aged look/dulled finish your looking for. It takes a bit of time but will be worth it.

Take some wire wool to the Hardware too!

Quote by DarkStarzInc.
Update! 8-29

Alright so i finally got to start the relic, i took some 0000 steel wool and started rubbing it on the horn here are some pictures, i dont know if the relic is too heavy this way cuz it takes off a lot of shine if you look at it from the sides but if you look at it from the front it still shines just not as much so here are some pictures.

Side view scuffed up horn

Little farthe still has shine

So i wanna some opinions should i keep doing this to the rest of the body to get the reliced look or just leave it? also can i get some ways to relic hardware?
im not sure if this works but i got an idea...

make a sealed Plexiglas box big enough to hold the body and drill a hole at the bottom of one of the side.and then light a cigar and put it in the hole and let the smoke rise up and after a while of that the finish might look aged?

as i said before its just an idea .. so im not sure if it will work!
Quote by savage94

make a sealed Plexiglas box big enough to hold the body and drill a hole at the bottom of one of the side.and then light a cigar and put it in the hole and let the smoke rise up and after a while of that the finish might look aged?

Whoa i like that idea, if i knew it did work i would so do this...
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
Quote by savage94

I've seen similar stuff done to guitar necks with bare maple. But I have to say it would only make a poly painted guitar smell likes it been played too much in a bar.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
An old wardrobe with some UV strip lights for a couple of weeks will do the trick and dull the finish no end.
Page 1 of 2