So basically every time I am doodling or trying to create a solo for a song I have the issue where basically everything I play sounds bluesy cause I'm stuck in the same box pattern playing.

I have basic music theory knowledge and all that, so what exactly am I doing wrong @_@

P.S When I try to play outside of the box I get off key, anyone want to point me in the right direction?
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Learn the different modes and learn how to play up and down the entire fretboard in key. Learn the diatonics and pentatonics and all of the basic forms.
Schecter Blackjack C-1 EX (BK Painkiller, DM Liquifire)
Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Fargen modded Peavey JSX, w/ KT77's
Hardwire DL-8 Delay
try changing the phrasing. alot of people have this inherent bluesy phrasing when they are just kinda noodling and improvising; try changing that. Also learn modes and wierd scales and stuff, it will help change the soundof your playing. But just knowing a bunch of scales isn't the solution. just try really random new stuff, any ramdom idea that pops into your head. Most will sound like feces, but one or two may be the baddest-ass things you've ever heard.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by Duke318
Learn the different modes and learn how to play up and down the entire fretboard in key. Learn the diatonics and pentatonics and all of the basic forms.

Ts, ignore modes, they've got nothing to do with this.

Learn the NOTES a scale contains and it's pattern of intervals and use them ito help you to understand the shapes so you can play a scale all over the fretboard. Also pay close attention to the chords derived from a scale so you'll be better at playing in key, it also helps you navigate round the fretboard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Also remember to throw some flat and diminished 5ths in what you're playing. That'll stop you from sounding "Blues".
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Learn the different modes. But get to know more about music theory, learn about the major minor scales, and the harmonic minor scales, triads and all that good stuff. The more you know about music theory, the more doors you open for yourself. Basic knowledge is good for basic things, but once you want to get into soloing, thats where you would want to know alot more in theory.

Also, pick up some tricks that the major shredders use like Yngwie, Rusty cooley, Steve Vai or who ever your into.

This has NOTHING to do with modes, they're the last thing people should be suggesting when the guy doesn't even know the major scale yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Think about how you want your solo to sound "before" you start playing notes. Can you hear a non-bluesy solo over the progression? Once you know how you want your solo to sound, figure out the notes.
I'm stuck in the same box pattern playing.

P.S When I try to play outside of the box I get off key, anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Learn what other notes aren't "off key"? Check my theory vids and read the MT FAQ.
Quote by steven seagull

This has NOTHING to do with modes, they're the last thing people should be suggesting when the guy doesn't even know the major scale yet.

+1 (again...)

I'd suggest the TS to stop using blues phrasing. Most players with this problem will use the G-string as a staple in phrases. They tend to use it to transition into closing phrases. Stop using that G-string so much. You can bend other strings and end phrases on them as well.

Get rid of that Down, Up, Left pattern in the box. lol

Learn an entire scale position as mentioned before and practice building phrases in different ways. Play every note and find out what happens when you move in certain directions. You will learn many ways to open and close phrases.

Once you learn a scale position...play 2 note phrases. Play a note and make phrases with every note adjacent to it. This seems like a mundane waste of time...but this is a simple exercise that will yield great results.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 26, 2009,
try tremelo picking in any of your minor pentatonic scales u will kind of drop the bluesy sound and no bad notes but for your best bet learn alll scales possible then mix and match till you find your "sweet spot" as i refer to it