Yeah, I'm stumped on this one.

Okay, I've been thinking about this dilemma I have had for a while now, and I've decided to turn to the wisdom of others for help, since I'm getting a migraine trying to work it out myself.

I just bought a voodoo labs wahzoo, a great pedal btw, but I now have a problem with it's placement on my pedalboard. I don't know if you guys are familiar with it, but it has 3 wah modes: regular treadle operated, autowah, and stepwah. They all sound very cool, and I love them dearly, the only problem is getting them in the right place in the pedal chain.

Here's my pedal chain (as it stands) -
Guitar->Buffer->KeeleyCompressor->Tubescreamer#1->Tubescreamer#2->VoodooWah->Whammy->Delay->Buffer->Amp

The Treadle and Step modes both work great post-distortion/compressor, which is where I want to keep them, however the autowah does not respond to the compressor at all (I play it very sustained and comp'ed). This makes sense, because it doesn't have the natural curve of the guitar's dynamics, and instead must filter the compressed signal. Anyways, this sounds like ass. If I move the pedal before the compressor, the auto wah works great, and the other two modes go to hell on me.

What I want is some sort of switcher pedal that I can put my guitar signal directly into that would allow me to basically have the pedal in two positions in the chain, giving me these two options:

1. Guitar->Buffer->Wah->Compressor->TS->TS->Amp
2. Guitar->Buffer->Compressor->TS->TS->Wah->Amp

I know that there has GOT TO BE some simple A/B/Effects loop box I can use to make this work for a reasonable amount of money. I don't want to buy some ridiculous 8 channel patching system 'cause this is the only switching I need to do, and I certainly don't want to buy another wah pedal. I was thinking somehow having a 2 in 1 out box with an effects loop that the wah sits alone in that allows you to switch between imputs? Something like that even exist?

ANY IDEAS? Thanks.....
... Man. This topic makes me feel like a friggin noob.
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
You could potentially try putting the wah in the effects loop of your amp.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Slayer, off-topic, but you oughta fix that sig...
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
Quote by Mr_CiNiC
Slayer, off-topic, but you oughta fix that sig...

why?
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
Last edited by saitenslayer at Aug 25, 2009,
Much more complicated and awkward to set up though. Just get a cheaper wah? Not all wahs are $250...
I've sat for about 10 min trying to figure out a pedal chain where this would work but this is just hurting my brain... I think through a combination of A/B/Y boxes and loops it's possible but I have no idea how and i'm really confused now :/
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

^ +1

Usually I'm okay at weird wiring things, but this doesn't make any sense. You can run two different pedal chains with a A/B/Y box, but you cannot change the placement of a pedal. Just invest in another Wah pedal. You can find a Vox wah for $70 and it will do fine.
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Aug 26, 2009,
So I think we've come to 3 possible conclusions.

1. Get another wah
2. never use the autowah function
3. turn off your compressor.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Sorry, related question that reading this thread threw up for me:

What on earth is a stepwah?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
+1 on turning off the compressor. I hate that effect anyways since it totally kills picking dynamics.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
YEP! Sguit, its the WOBO! Good call. An inverter effects looper. Had never previously heard of such a thing. Too bad its a hundred bucks.

Thanks!!!!!!
I do not have the Voodoo Lab Wah but I can tell you in plain terms, any type of triggered wah or Q filter needs to be up front of the line to get the proper triggering of a clean signal from the guitar. I kept having problems with the low shift on my Whammy until I put it up front for the cleanest signal, it does not like any buffer in front of it and trigger sensitive pedals just do not work well down the line. I liked my wah up front because it has a great line buffer which helps to drive the line and keep the fidelity up, except it was interfering with the tracking on the Whammy, not much but just on the low 8va harmony setting.

Some like wah's before distortion, some after, I was always taught to put them in front, but I have gotten good tones either way. Each has its benefits. I noticed my old God Trower is using his Fulltone AFTER his OD's, this is because Robin wants a profound wah shift on his OD which is not a heavy distortion gain. I am used to putting mine in front of my OD and Dist but I am in the mood to try it and see, in fact I have not used my newer Morley Vai II wah in the after position yet, so I will have to try it out. I love the Morely design myself, the no pot, no moving parts tech I think is quite cool and the touch on touch off silent switch is the God Hammer for me.

You get a more pronounced wah after the distortion circuits but for wailing shred lines I suggest in front, this keeps your distortion level and tone going while the wah does its band pass filter magic. If you have no loop you are stuck with the in front of tube distortion sounds, and that really is not bad at all. I have my rig engineered to provide complete versitility although I am tempted to move the wah after by OD and DIST just to see the effect as I can get the in front effect using my tube amp distortion.

The loop has the problem of levels, most do not realize a line level is 4-5+db higher. Some wahs could handle it, some will be weak signal and you will suffer a volume drop. The loop can produce a more pronounced wah effect if your level is OK via the tube preamping going into the pedal before the power amp tubes, its not a common thing but it can be done if you want a more intense sweep.
I was wondering if this thread would pop up again. How are your soldering skills? Because if you build a true bypass loop pedal it's possible to wire it up so that it reverses the signal allowing you to use the effects inside the loop in a different way. (I read this ages ago so please don't ask for a schem or anything)

If you ask over in GB&C someone should be able to provide a more definite answer.

EDIT: Fooldrive don't nerco bump threads
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Oct 10, 2009,
There's a guy on The Gear Page (and also on his own website) named This1smyne that makes a thing called a flip-flop. It basically switches the order of effects at the flick of a switch. I'm not sure that thing alone will do what you want it to do, but if there's anybody you should talk to, it'd be that guy.

Here's his website: http://this1smyne.com/pedals.html

Here's the flip-flop demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygGasn-hKgw