I keep on hearing that one should upgrade his/her bass amp before upgrading his/her bass or buying effects, so that just made me wonder: what kind of tone improvement comes from an amp upgrade? Is it describeable, or is it something I'll have to find out from going to Guitar Center and playing through some of their higher-end amps?

Right now I'm running a Peavey Cirrus BXP through an Acoustic B20, so the next bass-related thing i'll be spending money on (besides maybe strings) will definitely be an amp, but I just want to know what this "huge improvement in tone" will be like.
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Um.
Well for me, my speakers were starting to fry so my new amp sounded a lot cleaner.
Also depends what comes with the amp, the size ect. My new amp was much bigger than my old one so the tone was a lot deeper and fuller.
Better pre-amps, speakers. Bad amps would be a bottleneck for good instruments.
Quote by corrda00
Um.
Well for me, my speakers were starting to fry so my new amp sounded a lot cleaner.
Also depends what comes with the amp, the size ect. My new amp was much bigger than my old one so the tone was a lot deeper and fuller.

is there any other way you can describe "deeper and fuller" :|
this is why I thought it might be one of those things i'd have to experience for myself to understand

Quote by pwrmax
Better pre-amps, speakers. Bad amps would be a bottleneck for good instruments.

yeah, I understand that the amp is better and that upgrading it would precede upgrading a bass, but I was looking for some sort of description regarding how much / in what way my tone would improve from it; would it be like an "oh my god my tone is suddenly teh sex" or more like "hmm, that sounds kinda better than before but it might just be new gear placebo effect so I will have to go back and forth comparing"
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Well, all amps are different, so it's not like there's a scale of amps and they steadily improve as you move up the scale. Different amps have different timbres and sound qualities. However, in general, the difference between a bad amp and a good amp will be much more in the "'oh my god my tone is teh sex'" than the "'hmmm, that sounds kinda better than before but it might just be new gear placebo effect so I will have to go back and forth comparing'". Especially if you've been playing a while and have an idea of the type of sound you like.
Quote by capslockisnton
is there any other way you can describe "deeper and fuller"

Wider frequency response. Any bass has wide frequencies, even if they sound terrible they're better than nothing. Bad amps cut them out completely so it's the same as if they weren't there.
Usually higher end amps will have higher quality preamps wich allow you to make and wider and better variety of tones, as well with more wattage comes a fuller sound for the most part. an amp would be a wise investment for you, since you already have a good bass

Quote by capslockisnton
is there any other way you can describe "deeper and fuller" :|
this is why I thought it might be one of those things i'd have to experience for myself to understand

Larger cabs such as a 1x15, a 2x12, a 4x10, 4x12, or 8x10 with high quality speakers will as pwrmax said, have a wider frequency response therefore, a genarally clearer and fuller soud

then again I could be wrong, this is just what I'm assuming to be true
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
Last edited by BamaBlues at Aug 26, 2009,