Poll: So how do/would you perform?
Poll Options
View poll results: So how do/would you perform?
Mistakes are unacceptable
11 17%
I mess up sometimes but I always try to do my best
38 58%
I mess up sometimes because i'm moving around
13 20%
I mess up a lot, but i have a lot of fun, so who cares?
4 6%
Voters: 66.
I always hear statements like "Don't worry if you mess up, just have fun. Jump around while you play blah blah blah". But when I go see a band, i dont want them to jump around and not be able to sound good. Who wants to listen to a half hour of out of tune power chords and a sloppy solo mixed with half-assed, out of breath vocals?

So, pit, when you play live do you play to have fun for yourself or do concentrate to put on a good show for the people that came to hear you? If you don't play live, answer with what you would do if you did play live.

Personally, I would always try to play most accurately and tight with the rest of the band.
Check out my band Disturbed
I play for myself because im too shy.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
It's definetely a mixture of both, but if I sound good, then it's more fun for me because I can appreciate my sound better and know that the crowd likes it so It's kind of a Win/win.
ಠ_ಠ

Notice how I have not quoted anyone, you could be the first! Make me lol!

198th person with a llama in a sig!

I unfortunately witnessed The Night of The Pear II
Shouldn't it be for both?

Have fun while playing correctly.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
I've never played a real concert, but when I'm jamming, I'm willing to do as much dumb shit as possible without it messing up what I'm playing. However, I'm not gonna start jumping around like a psycho if it's causing me to miss notes or something like that.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
You can't do both unless you're playing kindergarten music
i dont mind messing up from time to time. most of the audience will never know that i messed up. i do try to do my best though but mistakes happen.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by bloodshed344
Dillinger Escape Plan.

I've seen them live and it was awful
Quote by bloodshed344
Dillinger Escape Plan.

Yeah, except they don't sound good live.
Learn your songs, get them down, then work on stage presence and showmanship. It's contempory music not classical.
Quote by StewieSwan
You can't do both unless you're playing kindergarten music

Chili peppers?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Quote by crazy8rgood
Yeah, except they don't sound good live.

shh.

actually, TDEP is a pretty good example of doing both.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
i play with the crowd, if thats what you mean

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Quote by Just Andrew
Shouldn't it be for both?

Have fun while playing correctly.

This.
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
Quote by bloodshed344
Your opinions about the quality of the band's writing are subjective. They play their music spot on live and move around a lot whilst doing it.

I dunno, I've heard some of their studio stuff and some live stuff, it sounds more like a dude screaming over white noise live. But then again, maybe the dude taping it just had a ****ty camera.

But I'm biased, because I despise them, so whatever. Ignore me.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Aug 26, 2009,
I always try to play/sing the best that I can. It's kind of hard for my band to jump around to the style of music we play so we usually just concentrate on playing and try to get points from the crowd between songs.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Well, unless you're playing guitar by thrashing your dick around the strings I see no application of guitar technique to sex.

My band, Two Days In February
Standing still on stage in most genres of music just looks boring and lethargic. If the music is energetic, the performance should at least contain some energy too in my opinion. As I play in a heavy rock/metal band, standing still just doesn't look the part. That said, depsite the (relative) complexity of some of the material, playing accurately is not an issue and I might make one or two minor mistakes in a show, but it is not moving around that causes it.

That being said, if you jump around and piss around to the point where you can't play your own material competently, then you're focusing too much on 'putting on a show'. I think good showmanship is a sign of a good band though - if you can move around and still sound good, it shows good musicianship.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by UltimateDud
Learn your songs, get them down, then work on stage presence and showmanship.

thats exactly what I was gonna say
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix (R.I.P.)

"I'd much rather be home playing my guitar"
-Eddie Van Halen
The punk and ska mentality in my town is that even if you sound like crap, if you perform energeticaly, the crowd won't care. That doesn't sit well with me for some reason.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power