Page 1 of 2
to feel like you were a good guitar player? I feel like im ok but i still dont feel like im a good guitar player?

just curious

if u know ur good dont be shy either and say "well i could be better" if u got what it takes to play in a band and can do it pretty well...drop a comment...how long did it take you and how much time would u practice?
I've been playing for around 4 years or more and still think I have A LOT to learn, I don't think I suck but there are still songs that I can't even dream of playing.

I'm quite proud of some songs I composed though, so I'd say I'm an ok guitar player for now.
I can play multiple Protest The Hero songs and always get very positive crits when I put my songs on here and I still feel like I'm not all that good. =/
it took me a few years to be able to play in a band (cover) situation i was always recording and jamming to drum beat tracks which i feel improve my skill because i was always experimenting

but for me the last year i have improved the most, because i am in a original band situation plus ive been studying theory when i can which is helping with my understanding of everything
It's been a year and a half and I'm feeling like you.....I mean I can definiteley play but I'm nowhere near where I want to be. I'm pretty good with riffs and not so much with soloing...to put it in perspective: I can play Sweet child o mine solo at 80% speed perfectly and I'm working on it to get up to full speed. As for riffs, I can pretty much play (or learn in a day or 2) any Metallica riffs (I'm working on the downpoicking speed for Master of puppets). I do find my self making random blunders in songs I can play fine though. So my soloing and improv and consistency need to improv at this point.
I've been playing 3 years and still don't feel like I can play. I can play a bunch of songs, and my friends tell me I sound good, but I don't think I'll ever be convinced. Ever. I think I'm just destined to continue to overlook the good, and focus on the things I can't do, or can't do well. I work under the thought that nobody ever stops learning.

Focusing on the negative seems to both add frustration and motivation to continue to learn. And I continue.

Now pardon me, I'm going to go watch an episode of Leverage.
Hendrallica....can you even play the solo in sweet child o mine at 80% speed cause heck...i lose it after the intro...but i havent looked at the tab in a while...i got kinda bored with it..
lol i hate myself more than ever now @ 5 years played soon I will kill myself
I used to be confident, and I've definitely improved a ton over time but further awareness has made me lose all self confidence and I'm now literally afraid to play in front of people when before I used relish every opportunity, lol
Well, to a person that doesn't play guitar... I'm probably pretty good! But, to the experienced guitarist I'm probably intermediate... or just pushing intermediate! In my opinion i'm alright, bu I've only been playing about 11 months... but I play tons... and I means TONS! But, there's tons of room for improvement... as always!
I've been playing for six years and I don't think I'm a guitarist yet. Until last year, I didn't have decent gear. Even now, there're many common techniques that I haven't touched. Well, that's me.
I learned how good I was when I challenged myself and saw how well I responded to the harder pieces I've learned.

I was afraid to even look at solos when I was new to guitar and for 9 months I avoided all metal solos even though I like metal. Now I'm learning "Fade to Black" and see that the chord switching is harder than the solo but I'm doing fine w/ the practice I've put into it and it makes you proud to accomplish something.

As for playing in a band, I'm confident I could do it, I am very critical w/ my rhythm and I really use my metronome a lot in practice as boring as it is. I'd like to be a rhythm guitarist to be honest, I mean, yeah solo here and there but ever since I've been learning "Fade to Black" I started to like rhythm.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Last edited by Misticalz at Aug 26, 2009,
rhythm is BA for sure...i definitely think its more crucial and definitely overlooked...i mean what would the blues be without good rhythm? it would probably just be stale sounding play in the pentatonic minor scale
Quote by kermitdf
As long as I keep improving and have a good time, it's all good
+1
I play 8 years or so. Never really got into shredding. So i almost can play anything that doesnt involve shredding. That's good enough for me.
2 years and a couple of months, and I just got into a band... Ok, it's simple punk stuff, and I can play harder music than what we play, but it's just for fun, and we are planning to do some harder stuff in the future, so that should be fun!
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by Jeradmang
to feel like you were a good guitar player? I feel like im ok but i still dont feel like im a good guitar player?

just curious

if u know ur good dont be shy either and say "well i could be better" if u got what it takes to play in a band and can do it pretty well...drop a comment...how long did it take you and how much time would u practice?

im comming up on 5 years and i still dont really feel that way. i think im a decent guitar player. but thats probably because im always comparing myself to the greats like eric johnson. when it comes down to it, im good considering how long ive been playing but i often forget that.
After about 5 years I started to realize I was better than most people I knew or meet, now after playing for 12 or so years I know there is a lot more I can learn but I at least feel confident enough to jam with anyone or play in front of anyone, because I know I can at least hold my own, unless its Gilbert or Vai that I happen to be jamming with, then I would clam up like a school girl meeting the Jonas brothers.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I wonder if Paul Gilbert has ever played along someone that he felt blew him out of the water...and got nervous about it...

i know he is used to huge crowds and what not but u gotta know he is probably intimidated by his guitar heroes...
It seems like the more you know about the guitar/music, the more you realize how much you don't know.
yea i may just close my eyes and start playing blind

someone real BA at guitar told me he would get grounded to his room as a kid and his parents would make him go to bed all early and stuff and turn out the light so he would lay there in the dark and play guitar and it made him totally learn by ear....

anyone heard of anything similar or feel like it could work...just seems like ur technique would be way wacked out from laying down playing and that it would really be hard when making chords and stuff
We can always get better. Don't worry about trying to become really good. Just study theory, play what you love, and it will come.
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=EmoSlayer
i just wanna play some good ole ****...i wanna make cool solos...like damn i hear it in my head so crystal clear and if i only knew how to exactly do it....it would be fire...like i could get a mixer and hum into a mic a tight rhythm and hum a solo over it and it would sound amazing cause i know what needs to be done...just gettin my fingers to do its the problem...i hear drum rolls and basslines i hear it all
13 years in.....still get my butt handed to me on the bandstand.

...but now after 13 years of practice I can pick up any tune I want ( villa-lobos 1-12 consecutively?? )
i actually had the similar question for the last one year now. one of my first instructors told me that if it sounds good to you it will sound good to others. so that is how i have normally measure myself. after playing for like 3 years i feel more comfortable and confident now. the great albert king apparently practiced for like 5 years before he played to another soul. so i am giving myself atleast another two years before checking if i am really good.
Quote by vtpcnk
i actually had the similar question for the last one year now. one of my first instructors told me that if it sounds good to you it will sound good to others. so that is how i have normally measure myself. after playing for like 3 years i feel more comfortable and confident now. the great albert king apparently practiced for like 5 years before he played to another soul. so i am giving myself atleast another two years before checking if i am really good.
I don't think that is really true. After every concert/recital I've ever played in not once have I ever fully thought I sounded good and it has won some local contests and so far got the job for every audition I've been to.

Might just be me, but I am NEVER completely satisfied with my performance. Sure sometime I nail the piece but I never forget missing the slur on the 132nd measure or accidentally hitting a wrong open string.
4+ years for me, and i still have a lot to learn to where i actualy want to be as a guitarist. I think a lot of the times i am wasting precious training cuz i just noodle around, and tab certain songs to try and play. If i developed a training plan that really concentrated on aspects that i wanted to improve, i think after a year id be pretty sweet.
Quote by Jeradmang
I wonder if Paul Gilbert has ever played along someone that he felt blew him out of the water...and got nervous about it...

Paul Gilbert was actually asked that question when he was here in Canberra for Ibanez promotion stuff. He said that he felt nervous before the G3s, playing with Vai, Satriani and Petrucci. Understandable.

However, it is not good to think that you're better than everyone else at anything. There's always going to be someone better than you at some aspect of your playing. To claim you're awesome is really just a mark that you haven't jammed with that many people yet.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I'd consider myself a 'confident beginner' to beginning intermediate player. I can't play incredibly fast (though thats my next goal), but I can reach around 130 BPMs 16th notes, which is a lot better than where I started. I know a bit of theory; the notes, building scales, building chords, chord progressions and cadences, and the concept of modes, so I know enough theory to understand what people are talking about in this forum.

I've also been doing a lot of ear training, and can name every interval from unison to an octave correctly about 90% of the time. I'm starting to work on tabbing stuff out, which is going to be helpful when there's no tabs available. The best part is my writing will get a lot better because I can play what I hear in my head, rather than hearing what I play.

Overall, I'd consider a good player someone who can play exactly the way they want, someone who has total control over their playing. No muting problems, the notes are all even and fluid, and they can feel the music rather than think about it.
Last edited by Kenny77 at Aug 27, 2009,
I've been playing for almost 4 years now and...

I think I'm alright, just have to work on improvisation and memorizing scales and notes on the fretboard. The longer you play I think the easier it is to see what areas you're weak in and improve on those, which is what I've been doing.
I feel like i've moved beyond the crap stage and am now in the balls stage
The more you study the more you know. The more you know the more you forget......... so why study
I agree with the balls comment...not quite crap anymore but still ballsweat

By the way, i think steve vai sucks...i just can't stand his style...or atleast everything of his i've heard just sounds so overglorified
Last edited by Jeradmang at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by Jeradmang
lol sounds like a good plan...there are some good guitarists in hell
Yes, but in Hell, your guitar never stays in tune.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Ferrets!
Yes, but in Hell, your guitar never stays in tune.

thats why you gotta bend the heck out that som bich and and...and ride a flaming chopper
I feel i have begun to lag in learning new things. My taste in muisic is pretty narrow so i've begun to try and widen out. i don't like metal so much but love distortion. So not knowing what music out there besides nirvana and 90's grunge. i spend some time actually listening to things i never would have before.

I hope this will help me broaden my musical interest so i will learn more music theory or tabs or just be more excited about it. I'm not prepared to give up guitar but i like to try and learn more about songwring. Which i have done good at learning some thing about rythym and theory so far but i need to study and apply it.

Skill wise i have only the f major chord or whatever other chord i need to learn i my endeavors to conquer in terms of chords. i can also do thumb over pretty good but i always mute the high pitch e string because i decided it sounds better and i can't fret it anyother way with my small hands...

My next goal for learning on the guitar is to learn every note on the fret board by memorizing it. this is chore unfortunately for me but i think i will succed in the end.

I got the idea from reading a interview with david gilmour in guitar player magazine he said he never learned scales. So i think he just learned all the notes on the fretboard and choose which ones of a diatonic <one letter of every note in each key> keys he wanted to use based on his knowledge. But this will take time for me to learn.
I think it definitely depends on what you, personally, really want and need to accomplish.
If your goal is to learn and perfect every metal solo in the world, it may take forever to learn all the techniques necessary to do so (No offense to the many people who surely love metal), but for me, I find that being able to write songs myself and feel like they are complete and, well, good, gives me much more satisfaction. I feel like I'm competent (3 years+, maybe 4?) but there's certainly always something new to learn. You're never going to feel like you know it all, because if you do, you're gonna be wrong, but that being said, don't make being able to do everything perfectly the only thing you care about, because that's not ever going to make you happy.
Quote by Jeradmang
By the way, i think steve vai sucks...i just can't stand his style...or atleast everything of his i've heard just sounds so overglorified

FINALLY!!! someone who agrees with me! I made a topic on the pit to see if anyone agrees with me and it got reported and closed within five minutes, and everyone thought i was just being a troll, when all i wanted was other's opinions. I think he is a moronic wanker. No feeling.
--------- ------ -------------------- ----------------- --------------- ------------
But anyway, i thought i was good after playing for about six months. Then about six months later, I realized that i was only mediocre six months before. I've been playing for a little over a year now and I'm good. I know that sounds conceited, but i really am pretty good. I had previous musical (trumpet) experience, so that helped a lot. And my fingers were nimble from way too much Guitar Hero, believe it or not. So I think that helped some too. Now I can play most anything if i have a tab for it, as long as it doesn't have much sweeping.I can figure out a lot by ear, too. I have a decent knowledge of theory (nothing too complicated). So i think i'm pretty good. I am in a band, and can play with other musicians easily and coherently, with a decent degree of complexity in my jamming.

Holy Giant Post, Batman! Sorry.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Last edited by pitobodies at Aug 27, 2009,
Page 1 of 2