I'm looking for some new equiptment that I know I'd be happy with.

I'm upgrading from my Marshall MG to a B52 AT112, I should get it soon.

And I'm selling both my electrics for a new, more versatile one. Right now I have a Dean VX and a BC Rich Avenge Beast.

I play heavy metal, punk, classic rock, jazz/blues, and hard rock. My favorite guitarists are Steve Vai, Randy Rhoades, Tony Iommmi, Early Billy Joe Armstrong, Kirk Hammett, Joe Satriani, and the likes of that.

I'm looking for something that I can get both good clean and heavy sounds. Something with a whammy bar, and 24 frets, for some shredding.

I'm looking at an Ibanez RG. What model of that is good? What else should I look at in my price range?

My budget is around $400, but I might be able to stretch it, once I sell thing.
Just because nobody else replied....

My rule of thumb is that you shouldn't upgrade unless it will last you 2-3 years. In other words, save a bit and buy a legit guitar - you won't find this for 400 bucks - about 1000 will get you in the ballpark. Otherwise, you'll look to upgrade in another 8 months and have wasted your money....

Unless you plan on gigging or your current gear is just abismal, in which case a used Ibanez or Jackson is your best bet at 400
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Well, my first 2 guitars, I think I was just trying to find the sound I wanted. I think an RG has that, I played a few in the store, I dont remember any models exactly, but they all had more of the kinda sound I was looking for. Hell I played a JEM and I loved it. Should I just save up for that, or what?
And I'm pretty weery of buying used Jems. I've seen so many fakes of them than any other guitar, trying to be passed of as the real thing.
I concur on the worry with a used guitar, but you can find good ones. From experience, I bought 1,500 worth of bad guitars, 500 dollars at a time, before I figured out that I just needed to save a bit longer.

So, I'd wait and get the one you want, even if it takes another 6 months - it will be worth it.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Well okay. Just sayin, the RG Prestige line is good, and I've heard very good things about them. How much do they cost, lows to highs?