I've been meaning to transition instruments as I've had no inspiration to play my guitar lately. I've been trying to get into saxaphones but I don't know what a decent one would cost as I will be paying for this myself, money is hard to come by. Since I have no experience in brass instruments how does it compare to guitar? Is it easier? Harder?
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Last edited by PinoyxRockar at Aug 26, 2009,
I used to play it... a long time ago. It's not that bad to start learning it. I'd imagine getting really good at it would be tough though.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
I used to play it... a long time ago. It's not that bad to start learning it. I'd imagine getting really good at it would be tough though.

How much is a decent saxaphone?

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
wait, isn't sax brass?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by PinoyxRockar
How much is a decent saxaphone?

I have no idea. I'd imagine quite a bit.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by rockingamer2
wait, isn't sax brass?

I stand corrected. Thank you

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Well, I think you could get a beginner's sax for about $400, but professional ones can get into the range of four or five thousand

Another alternative is to rent one from a nearby music store to make sure you want to continue with it

Also, don't give up on guitar just yet
Just put it down for a couple weeks (or more) and when you come back you'll feel completely different: inspired, motivated, etc.
Sax is woodwind, it has a reed.

Try drums. Lotsa fun.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by rockingamer2
wait, isn't sax brass?

no. it has a reed therefor its a woodwind. it was made as kind of a cross between the woodwinds and brass instruments.

to the TS, you could find some decent sax's for 300-400 bucks at pawn shops. i bought one but havent been playing it much. beware, they can be pretty loud.
Quote by rockingamer2
wait, isn't sax brass?

It's classified as a woodwind I think, but it was meant as a mix between a brass instrument and a woodwing
Any pawn shops around SF? Could you guys maybe point me in the right direction as to where I can buy a few decent ones online around maybe 200-400 USD?

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
It's woodwind.
And you can't answer the question of which of two instruments is harder, because if an instrument is "easier" that what is expected of you to be considered good is raised.