Hey guys, in the past few weeks, I have been saving a lot of cash and plan on continuing to do so. Anyway, I was set on the les paul classic 1960 in cherryburst for quite a while, mainly because of the neck, lightweight, look, and sound. However, I was planning on replacing the pickups to the 498R and T if I were to purchase it.

Today, I went to guitar center, and saw an SG standard on the wall. I had always liked the look, and I had played it before, and somewhat liked the sound. It sounded pretty good, but it felt there was something "missing" from the sound i was getting from it.

Here's my dilemma: I am into a lot of punk/hardcore bands, and I see a lot of them using SG Standards...some bands such as This Is Hell use them, and they get a HUGE sound out of them (provided they play with mesa dual recs).

The thing is, I have played SG Standards and like the one i played today, I feel that the sound isn't as HUGE as it seems or as everyone is telling me. Is this just because the SG's at guitar center could be "duds?"

If not, what can I do to make an sg standard have a little more punch, warmth, and big sound that you can get from a les paul? Im pretty much torn between the sg standard and a les paul classic at the moment hah.

Thanks guys, and sorry for the really long post lol.
SG Standard with 500T in bridge and a nice amp = sweet eargasms. Seriously, I wish I still had my Standard, that guitar sounded mean with the 500T in it, probabaly the best sounding guitar I've played beside my Carvin.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
through what amp?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by MatrixClaw
SG Standard with 500T in bridge and a nice amp = sweet eargasms. Seriously, I wish I still had my Standard, that guitar sounded mean with the 500T in it, probabaly the best sounding guitar I've played beside my Carvin.

what pickups in an SG standard would give me a bit more punch and big sound though?

I'm not a huge fan of the high end that the 500t brings to the table.

I plan on getting a blackstar ht 5 with a mesa 2x12 cab if this helps.
Quote by ipunchcouches
blackstar ht 5

$1000 guitar into a $400 amp? that's another whole issue.

yes a good sg will hold it's own against les pauls, generally speaking, imo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

it may be 400 dollars, but have you played the head? it sounds incredible and with a les paul it sounds astounding.

Can anyone answer the pickup question???
Quote by gregs1020

I'm not going to lie, I'm very much considering buying an HT-5 myself, I played one last weekend with several guitars, cranked it, and it was definitely pretty cool.
I had one. nice amp. like said, that's another issue.

you could always put les paul pups in a sg.
does anyone know what pickups are in the SG Diablo? those things sound ballin.

I heard they were some custom wound **** or something? not sure though

any help is appreciated thanks