I got a few questions.. I am soon to be purchasing a guitar that i will ONLY use for low tunings.. well not really low.. but anything drop C and lower.. I was looking at the mick thomson signature ibanez MTM1 (hopefully my guitar in the future as i love it) and i like the fact of the fixed EDGE FX bridge system... I was wondering if there are any good metal guitars on the market that come with a fixed floyd/edge... If not...

I also like the jim root signature telecaster.. i love that style of bridge

I know that this ibanez

Ibanez RGT6EXFX

Has that style of bridge i like along with a set of emgs i love and a neck thru... and for a reasonable price..

I was also just wondering if anyone in here has the MTM1 or the jim root telecaster and if it was any good???

NOTE: Don't tell me to get a new amp cause i don't care and you will just be wasting time telling me that

Thanks,

MetalGuitarest
Look, I know you want a new guitar, and If you're using it for low tunings, it makes sense.
But even though it's futile, I seriously suggest a new amp. A Vypyr might work well for you (you'll notice the tone difference, trust me - I've played a Spider and a Vypyr next to each other and the Vypyr totally outclasses the spider).

Why not look at a 7 string or a Baritone?
Baritones are tuned to B standard or lower.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 26, 2009,
i've thought about a seven string.. haven't put a ton of thought into it though... i think i'll stick with a 6 though for a while.. but who knows.. i might change my mind over time and get a 7

Note to above amp question: I will be purchasing a Prolly a Used Randall RG75g3plus or a RG200G3 plus soon
Last edited by MetalGuitarest at Aug 26, 2009,
Oh, in that case, cool.

I suggest looking for a Baritone. It's a 6 string with longer scale length (usually around 26-27") and heavier strings. It's meant for low tuning.
I think LTD makes a couple models.
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_specialty.html
Do either of those appeal to you?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 26, 2009,
I would get the Jim Root Tele with the maple board (just because it's "different") or the Ibanez RGT6EXFX, the MTM1 is basically the same as the RGT6 but it just has seven on the fretboard and a fixed locking bridge for some strange reason.

When you've made you're mind up about which guitar you want to have you should go to a store to try them out, because there's a huge difference in neck and body between the Tele and an Ibanez.
are you going to ask what kind of latex mask to buy next? j/k.

you won't want either of those guitars. EMG pickups are designed to increase the overdrive in tube amps. if you're playing a modeling amp, it's not for you.

I can understand you aversion to the 7-string guitars. but, I've been looking into getting one myself. for what Ibanez want for their MTM guitar, Schecter's Hellraiser or Blackjack ATX completely smoke it across the board.

and they have 6 or 7 string models, and a model with a string thru bridge and floyd roses. while the FR's aren't locked, you can always lock them yourself, or simply block them. then consider all the add-on's that you're getting that you don't with Ibanez. either Blackouts (what Mick uses now) or EMG's. locking tuners, full mahogany body and neck and a carved top. they're a much better instrument for the price, and you won't be instantly pegged as a Slipknot fanboy.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
I wouldn't get the MTM simply because of the obnoxious inlay and the Jim Root tele is pretty and simplistic in it's design.
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader

you won't want either of those guitars. EMG pickups are designed to increase the overdrive in tube amps. if you're playing a modeling amp, it's not for you.

I can understand you aversion to the 7-string guitars. but, I've been looking into getting one myself. for what Ibanez want for their MTM guitar, Schecter's Hellraiser or Blackjack ATX completely smoke it across the board.

and they have 6 or 7 string models, and a model with a string thru bridge and floyd roses. while the FR's aren't locked, you can always lock them yourself, or simply block them. then consider all the add-on's that you're getting that you don't with Ibanez. either Blackouts (what Mick uses now) or EMG's. locking tuners, full mahogany body and neck and a carved top. they're a much better instrument for the price, and you won't be instantly pegged as a Slipknot fanboy.

you really have no idea, do you?

EMG's don't necessarily only sound good on a tube amp. They'll sound FINE through that Randall he's getting.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader

See i love the schecter series.. i currently own a damien 6 FR... luv it.. But with schecter... and esp and most other brands once you get into a thru neck your paying over 1k... by the time the ibanez RG comes out with taxes it will almost be $1000.00 which is the max i'm willing to go.. I would no matter what purchase one of those two signature guitars or both.. any day if i had the money as i luv em both. And that is another delay about that guitar.. people calling yeh emo,a f.a.g ect ect just because i use a nu-metal guitarists guitar with seven on the inlay. Also i have considered the blackjack ATX but i've heard that the duncans are loud even when not playing.. they give lots of feedback??? that true?

The fact that i can try them out.. i live 2 hours away from an ibanez dealer but we go there(to ottawa) often around christmas time.. i might go to steves music and try some **** out.