Hey all,

I have an old Ibanez RG270 that I want to heavily modify. The major part obviously being changing the pickups.

I have done loads of research on this, but I'm a little snowed under with info, and was wondering if anyone here could shine any bit of light on the situation. Its a HSH, so id like to replace them all,budget is pretty good.

First kinda stupid question is...if you put for instance a strat pickup in, does it resemble a strat in anyway? I'm a real noise freak, and love bands like sonic youth/dinosaur jr/my bloody valentine. so obviously i think im aiming for a jazzmaster type tone.
I know j mascis replaces all his pickups with Jason Lollar p90s. I like billy corgans squeel too, and he uses lace sensors as far as i know. Thurston moore and lee ronaldo have just got signature jazzmasters,and they use modded tele humbuckers and seymour duncan antiquities.

I'd like to make it a 'twang-guitar' to counteract the growl of my SG. I love the gibson distorted, but it has a slightly muddy clean tone, in a good way. i'm trying to make the ibanez really bright.

Does anyone know any combination of pickups that would get me rockin? I like the way neil young has a tone/volume bypass switch, so i think ill throw that in too (i ****in adore his tone)!

any help is really appreciated,

finbarr
Last edited by fincollins at Aug 26, 2009,
first qu.

what amp do you have?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Ohh...well, its a pretty crappy Fender Princeton 112, nice amp for the price (thinking about updating that too btw....whoooole new thread). Its got nice tone. why do you ask
just wondering, cos if you havent got a decent amp, changing pickups, etc wont make a difference.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
just wondering, cos if you havent got a decent amp, changing pickups, etc wont make a difference.

It will make a difference, they just won't be as good as they can be.

It might be worth looking for Humbucker sized P90's? (which I'm also doing so your thread will help me too ) That way you're not taking a router to your guitar

I've been looking at the seymour duncan phat cat, the BKP Mississippi and some cheaper catswhisker ones. The BKP one seems to be brilliant, the SD one sounds pretty good too.

As far as single coils I'm not too up on them. Maybe look at lollar ones? heard good things about them.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Hmmm - you've done your homework SimplyBen...or should i say...Ben!

Yeah, I've heard good things about the Bareknuckles. Theres so many different options around :-S

I'm seriously considering lace sensor duallys, pairing red/silver, then maybe a blue in the middle position!??

I find myself kinda straying away from the p90 side of things cos of my SG. I want to avoid the vintage-y tone and make it really bright and fairly hotttttt blistering tone. i like to crank it
+1 to the humbucker sized p90s. Maybe Gibson P-94 in the bridge, a hot rail in the middle, and ??? (maybe another P-94?) in the neck? And Billy Corgan uses Hotrails nowadays.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp