Ok, so my birthday is coming up and I've decided to get a new amp. I love the Roland MicroCube but it doesn't have the bang I need. I play heavy metal (5FDP, ChildrenOfBodom, Metallica, etc.) and I need an amp that can do just that. I also love fooling around with bluesy stuff, so I really do need a great clean tone. My price range is about 500$ tops. I'm not sure if I want a tube amp cause I don't do HUGE gigs, only practice and small (probably smaller than you imagine) gigs. I looked at Vox VT-50 and it does kinda suit me, and I don't really want to get the Spider IV, cause no one has tried it. Any suggestions dudes?
Peavey Vypyr 60? It comes with tubes as well
$449.99
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Vypyr60

Vox Valvetronix 50? It also has a 12Ax7 in the preamp section and has generally good reviews.
$399.99
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VT50/

Spider Valve 112
$399.99
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-Valve-112-40W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483066

The Spider Valve is no where related to the Spider 3 and its loud as heck. I find it a very responsive amp as well.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Aug 26, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
Peavey Vypyr 60? It comes with tubes as well
$449.99
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Vypyr60

Vox Valvetronix 50? It also has a 12Ax7 in the preamp section and has generally good reviews.
$399.99
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VT50/

Spider Valve 112
$399.99
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-Valve-112-40W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483066

The Spider Valve is no where related to the Spider 3 and its loud as heck. I find it a very responsive amp as well.

I'm stuck between Vox and Spider Valve. They are both great amps, but it's very hard to choose one.
For the Spider Valve, if you have the money, do a speaker upgrade to the Celestion G12K100 and install the SVPre... the whole amp really opens up and sings then. The high gain models also sound significantly better with these 2 mods.

I went with these 2 mods based on the recommendations from another UGer... the whole amp sounds significantly and markedly better after these 2 mods.

Can't comment on the Vox as I have no experience with the Valvetronix... however, it gets relatively good reviews from what I can see.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
For the Spider Valve, if you have the money, do a speaker upgrade to the Celestion G12K100 and install the SVPre... the whole amp really opens up and sings then. The high gain models also sound significantly better with these 2 mods.

I went with these 2 mods based on the recommendations from another UGer... the whole amp sounds significantly and markedly better after these 2 mods.

Can't comment on the Vox as I have no experience with the Valvetronix... however, it gets relatively good reviews from what I can see.

Ohh, I'm not a technician, I'm only 13 turning 14... so I don't think modding is an option.
I'll see what other people will say.
But I really really really appreciate your help :]
A lot of people manage to find Line 6 Vettas for about 500 so try look for that. There not tube btu the they sound better than the SV anyway.
My Vox kicked the **** out of my Spider Valve.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by theraven871
My Vox kicked the **** out of my Spider Valve.

Your Vox VT whatever?
Quote by SynAce
Your Vox VT whatever?

I'd take that with a pinch of salt if I were you.

The Spider Valve isn't a H&K Switchblade or a Vetta, but its a very responsive amp. I have both a Spider Valve and a Krank Rev Jr Pro. While I love the tone of going direct to tubes with the Rev Jr Pro, the Spider Valve is still very flexible nonetheless.

Plus, Matrix Claw gives it a thumbs up, and with his overly extensive experience with amp, that counts for a lot.

Nonetheless, try the Vox Valvetronix, I think your signal path hits a tube before the modelling software, in which case, the amp will react more like a tube amp (i.e. turning your volume knob down cleans up the signal) than the Spider Valve will.

In contrast, the signal path of the Spider Valve goes through the modelling software before hitting the tubes. So there is only so much you can clean up your tone by turning down the volume knob.

However, while I've not looked behind a Vox VT, I think its only equipped with ONE 12AX7. In contrast the SV has a preamp and power amp section designed by Bogner (though I think its more marketing hype than it is significant in your tone). What is important is that the SV has one 12AX7s for the preamp and two 6L6 tubes in the power section. (NOTE 1)

Honestly, its really a matter of personal preference. I KNOW a lot of UGers hate the Spider Valve simply because it has the word Spider in its name. I'd bet they'd sing a different tune if it was called a Vetta Valve or FlexValve. I think its a pretty decent amp for what it does, though the speaker change really improves the tone of the high gain models.

The Peavey Vypyr, though it does receive quite a bit of rave review, I have noticed a lot of feedback regarding its reliability.

The Vox generally receives positive reviews, I don't see that many people raving about it. I also suspect there may be a slight British bias in the tone of its models, though thats pure speculation on my part.

NOTE 1: Yes, technically the Spider Valve contains two 12AX7, but only one is used for the preamp, the other 12AX7 is a phase inverter to split the sine curve of the signal into positive and negatives. After splitting, the phase inverter sends the positive portion of the signal to one power tube and the negative portion of the signal to the other power tube.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Used Flextone IMO

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by ragingkitty
I'd take that with a pinch of salt if I were you.

The Spider Valve isn't a H&K Switchblade or a Vetta, but its a very responsive amp. I have both a Spider Valve and a Krank Rev Jr Pro. While I love the tone of going direct to tubes with the Rev Jr Pro, the Spider Valve is still very flexible nonetheless.

Plus, Matrix Claw gives it a thumbs up, and with his overly extensive experience with amp, that counts for a lot.

Nonetheless, try the Vox Valvetronix, I think your signal path hits a tube before the modelling software, in which case, the amp will react more like a tube amp (i.e. turning your volume knob down cleans up the signal) than the Spider Valve will.

In contrast, the signal path of the Spider Valve goes through the modelling software before hitting the tubes. So there is only so much you can clean up your tone by turning down the volume knob.

However, while I've not looked behind a Vox VT, I think its only equipped with ONE 12AX7. In contrast the SV has a preamp and power amp section designed by Bogner (though I think its more marketing hype than it is significant in your tone). What is important is that the SV has one 12AX7s for the preamp and two 6L6 tubes in the power section. (NOTE 1)

Honestly, its really a matter of personal preference. I KNOW a lot of UGers hate the Spider Valve simply because it has the word Spider in its name. I'd bet they'd sing a different tune if it was called a Vetta Valve or FlexValve. I think its a pretty decent amp for what it does, though the speaker change really improves the tone of the high gain models.

The Peavey Vypyr, though it does receive quite a bit of rave review, I have noticed a lot of feedback regarding its reliability.

The Vox generally receives positive reviews, I don't see that many people raving about it. I also suspect there may be a slight British bias in the tone of its models, though thats pure speculation on my part.

NOTE 1: Yes, technically the Spider Valve contains two 12AX7, but only one is used for the preamp, the other 12AX7 is a phase inverter to split the sine curve of the signal into positive and negatives. After splitting, the phase inverter sends the positive portion of the signal to one power tube and the negative portion of the signal to the other power tube.

That's a lot to digest. I am by any means not an expert when it comes to amps, but I do know that when I hear something I like, I usually lean towards that. The UG Forums are great with people that give an honest opinion like you, but as you said, there are many Spider haters. I personally only have tried the Spider III and I guess I got a bad influence by that, seeing that it has a horrible clean tone. I am still looking at videos of the clean tone off this amp (Spider Valve) and so far it's been decent. My friend has the Vox VT-15 and for an amp that size I think it's pretty decent. Thanks for the comment! :]
Quote by SynAce
That's a lot to digest. I am by any means not an expert when it comes to amps, but I do know that when I hear something I like, I usually lean towards that. The UG Forums are great with people that give an honest opinion like you, but as you said, there are many Spider haters. I personally only have tried the Spider III and I guess I got a bad influence by that, seeing that it has a horrible clean tone. I am still looking at videos of the clean tone off this amp (Spider Valve) and so far it's been decent. My friend has the Vox VT-15 and for an amp that size I think it's pretty decent. Thanks for the comment! :]

You're most welcome.

The Spider Valve gets a lot of flak on UG by virtue of its name. However, in terms of modelling sounds, I found it to be quite versatile.

In a few short sentences, my earlier post covers:
1. How many tubes are being used and how the tubes are used. The Spider Valve has tubes in both its preamp section and power amp section. In contrast the Vox may only have 1 tube in the preamp section.

2. Does the signal from your guitar hit the tubes first or the modeller first? Ideally you'll like it to hit the tubes before the modelling software. If the signal hits the tube before the modelling software in the Vox, you have some level of control over your gain just by turning your volume knob down. The only way to tell this is to read the schematics of the amp or check with someone who owns the Vox

3. Matrix Claw reckons that the Spider Valve is pretty good, and that is plenty of good reasons for you to take a second look at the Spider Valve. Matrix Claw owns/has owned before/has tried more amps than he is legally entitled to. When it comes to opinions on amp, his opinion is as better than many others, as he has the luxury of being able to compare and contrast an amp against the many other amps he has tried.

However, above and beyond that, which amp has the tone you like? Go for that that amp.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Aug 27, 2009,