Is it any good for the tone of the guitar? I mean, the trebles and the basses

PS: sorry if i posted in the wrong section, i couldnt decide between this forum or customizing forum
Agathis is a low grade wood used on cheap guitars. In short, no it sucks.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Baraga

PS: sorry if i posted in the wrong section, i couldnt decide between this forum or customizing forum

cheap copy of mahogany. Like mahogany in tone but blander
Quote by Baraga

cheap copy of mahogany. Like mahogany in tone but blander
it is mahogany...only the Asian breed of it.....or so I have been told. I may have been told incorrectly though. I have played a "higher end" Silvertone Apocalypse Pro made of agathis and for a sub-$200 guitar, it was totally acceptable and very close to mahogany tonally. Maybe just slightly blander but a good ear for your eq and good p'ups would cure all that imo.

*EDIT* Nato wood is the Asian strain of Mahogany not Agathis. Agathis is an evergreen...sorry.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Last edited by miketheslut at Aug 26, 2009,
mine is made of agathis, and i am not sure how i can compare it to other materials as i have not played on them.

my thoughts are is this, with a EQless amp, i find that the tone from my guitar is the lows are very low and the highs are a little high. It is naturally mid scooped. To compensate, i lowered the Tone on my amp and this helped a little. I am thinking about getting an EQ pedal if i find one really cheap, as I do not believe this guitar is worth upgrading at the moment.

Other then that, as a beginner, my agathis guitar is OK and plays well to me!
The only thing that's bad about agathis is it's reputation. It's cheap and easy to come by in countries where the companies make their cheapest guitars. That means that they don't have good quality control there and you'll probably never play a good quality agathis guitar to actually judge it's quality as a tonewood. They just use whatever crap they find and put it together. If they did the same with alder or mahogany, we would be saying that those woods suck. Agathis may be better than the worst grade of alder or mahogany that they use for the cheapest guitar. Like all woods, their are different grades of agathis. Maybe it's just very hard to find a high grade piece.
Thanks people, got me cleared out of some doubts

I thought i had made a bad purcharse when buying the Cort VX-2V, because of its body material, but now, im starting to think that the purcharse wasnt that bad after all

ty UG
Agathis is a low end mahogany substitute, nato is a better cheap substitute.

Just like any wood, if you were using it for high end guitars, you'd pick the best cuts and end up with a nice, high end product.

Agathis makes a good wood for cabs though.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Aug 26, 2009,
It's not good in the guitars that are made of it. That's VERY low grade stuff. I'm sure if it was a good cut of wood then it would sound pretty good (apparently quite similar to Alder).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Its a lower grade wood but its not like its the worst wood out there.
In the end its like they aren't going to put real marble tiles into a run down shack. They are usually used in lower end guitars because its cheaper, because the guitars ARE lower end. Doesn't mean that the wood is really considered BAD.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
I know agathis isn't such a bad wood, it's just pretty bland. However the problem is that A LOT of guitars made of agathis are cheap stuff that won't always hold together.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by STABxYOU
Off topic, agathis trees look pretty cool.

I agree. Its an interesting little pine tree
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by Metlhead443
I agree. Its an interesting little pine tree

They're not little.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
They're not little.

i didnt mean they were small trees, it was more of a colloquial usage of the word little
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
It sounds like an old lady's name, don't get it.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
B.C. Rich makes their low grade guitars out of this. One of my first guitars was a Bronze warlock...still have it....great neck...but the body is made of Agathis and the guitar sounds like hell....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
but the body is made of Agathis and the guitar sounds like hell....

Isn´t that the goal BC Rich goes for?
Quote by iampeter
mine is made of agathis, and i am not sure how i can compare it to other materials as i have not played on them.

my thoughts are is this, with a EQless amp, i find that the tone from my guitar is the lows are very low and the highs are a little high. It is naturally mid scooped. To compensate, i lowered the Tone on my amp and this helped a little. I am thinking about getting an EQ pedal if i find one really cheap, as I do not believe this guitar is worth upgrading at the moment.

Other then that, as a beginner, my agathis guitar is OK and plays well to me!

The LTD 50's are basswood AFAIK. The 200's are Agathis. 400's are Mahogany. Anything higher isusually Alder.
Quote by Vlasco
Isn´t that the goal BC Rich goes for?

hahah in their lower end models yeah.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Baraga
Thanks people, got me cleared out of some doubts

I thought i had made a bad purcharse when buying the Cort VX-2V, because of its body material, but now, im starting to think that the purcharse wasnt that bad after all

ty UG

dude, you shouldnt have doubts on any purchase you make because of what people on a site say. If it sounds good to you then thats all that matters man.. From what ive seen half the people will tell you it sucks because they read it somewhere and havent even had any 1st hand experience with it.

Agathis isnt as bad as some people say. Go to the jackson forum and see how many people complain about a Dinky Pro from Japan that is "dead" sounding and that has a alder body. It doesnt suck because alder is crap wood, its just that the particular piece of wood was a dud. Sh*t happens man, thats why its important to play it before you buy. If it sounds good, then rock on man!
If you want to see high end guitars made from agathis, check out Langcasters, they're a New Zealand manufacturer that uses swamp kauri, which I believe is a strain of agathis.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
The LTD 50's are basswood AFAIK. The 200's are Agathis. 400's are Mahogany. Anything higher isusually Alder.

mine is a 2006 spec H-50, and esp site says its agathis unfortunately. the newer H-51 are basswood though, but has a ugly headstock
mahogany lite
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by guidothepimmp
dude, you shouldnt have doubts on any purchase you make because of what people on a site say. If it sounds good to you then thats all that matters man.. From what ive seen half the people will tell you it sucks because they read it somewhere and havent even had any 1st hand experience with it.

Agathis isnt as bad as some people say. Go to the jackson forum and see how many people complain about a Dinky Pro from Japan that is "dead" sounding and that has a alder body. It doesnt suck because alder is crap wood, its just that the particular piece of wood was a dud. Sh*t happens man, thats why its important to play it before you buy. If it sounds good, then rock on man!

Yeah, i know, and i have tryed the guitar before purcharsing it, but i saw some people complaining that agathis was a plywood, and i kinda got scared
I played the guitar first, and i loved the sound it gave, i can probably say it gave a much better sound than one of my other guitars with mahogany body and EMG HZ H-4
Quote by Baraga
Yeah, i know, and i have tryed the guitar before purcharsing it, but i saw some people complaining that agathis was a plywood, and i kinda got scared
I played the guitar first, and i loved the sound it gave, i can probably say it gave a much better sound than one of my other guitars with mahogany body and EMG HZ H-4

Then why moan about the wood? Just shred away to glory.....who gives a damn about what others say?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Then why moan about the wood? Just shred away to glory.....who gives a damn about what others say?

I was kinda worried because maybe the wood wouldnt be showing defects at the beginning, i only bought the guitar 1 month ago
So much bandwagoning fail in this thread it's hard to breathe.

ALL AGATHIS GUITARS SUCK!!!!!!111!!!eleventy!bazi11ion... Gah...

Vast generalizations are pretty stupid imo.

Some agathis guitars are incredible. Like this little gem... Sustain for days.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I dont care for agathis guitars, as they are generally more for beginners. I do know LTD uses agathis on alot of their low and even up into the mid range. I had one for a short time. a EX251. It sounded like crap, could of been the cheap pickups.
Quote by Baraga

epah! nem notei que eras de Portugal!! malha nisso pa! lol