I just took my guitar to get it serviced for the first time. It's a Johnson newbie strat knock off. In particular I wanted them to set the intonation, because I tried setting it myself, turned the screws as far as they would go and it still wasn't right. I also wanted them to set the action right. Basically, two problems that I tried to fix myself (got pretty close) but then decided to leave up to the experts.

Anyway, I got it back from them and had a play on it and I'm now getting fret buzz. Also, I checked with my tuner and the intonation is still slightly off. (And they put on lighter gauge strings than I had on, but that's another story). The fret buzz happens if I pick hard, and is worse on the lighter three strings. Can't quite tell if it's coming through the amp, it might be my imagination or hearing the guitar over the amp but it does seem "dirtier" somehow...

Should I take it back to them 'cause they did a crap job, or am I missing something here?
Fret buzz might be there because they put lighter strings on...As for the intonation my old strat copy had the same problem maybe it's not fixable
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.
if your not satisfied take it back and tell them your waiting instore for it (forces them to do it while you wait) and check it before you leave the store......your paying for a setup which means the guitar should be setup to your specifications....if the tech is unable to set it up to your specifications find a competent tech
Quote by ibanezgod1973
if your not satisfied take it back and tell them your waiting instore for it (forces them to do it while you wait) and check it before you leave the store......your paying for a setup which means the guitar should be setup to your specifications....if the tech is unable to set it up to your specifications find a competent tech

This.

Also, it might just be your guitar. Not saying it sucks, but... well, it is a beginner guitar.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
It probably is the guitar, since it is a knock off like you said it is then it is more then likely a problem that you´ll never cure completely, but you should be able to at least make it playable.
take it back if you are not happy. at least they should put the correct gauge strings on.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
To be fair, I didn't specify what strings I wanted. I just assumed they'd put the same gauge on as I already had - was that a reasonable assumption? (I don't know how setup jobs usually work)
does the buzz transmit thru the amp?

it's very important to be specific when getting a setup, and to plug in and play prior to leaving the shop with the guitar.

with that said. if it's acoustic buzz it's not a problem.

but the intonation is. if the guitar wasnt able to be tuned they should have told you prior to you leaving the store.

they may have changed the string gauge in an attempt to help with intonation.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Vixus
What's acoustic buzz? Should you ever get buzz, even due to hard picking?

acoustic buzz, is when you're playing your electric guitar without being plugged into you amp, and you can hear buzz.

if it doesnt transmit thru the amp, it's generally not considered a problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Ive seen plenty of the cheap beginner guitars put together where the scale is screwy so they wont intonate. A strat knock off I had the neck pocket was set back to far so there wasnt enough adjustment to set it right, the saddles were against the back of the bridge with the little springs taken off and it wasnt enough. An epi LP100 I have the neck pocket was cut to short and wasnt enough adjustment, in this case the g string saddle was as far forward as it would go and still wasnt quite enough.

And you cant really "assume" things when you go to a shop. You gotta be specific as to what you want. Dont just say set it up and leave or "fix it". Things like what brand and guage strings is handy for the tech to know as well as things like drop tuning. Also you need to ask what exactly a set up entails. Some places may not do more than set intonation and adjust the saddle height, others may think it includes checking and adjusting the string height at the nut, truss rod, neck angle etc.

Another thing low end guitars are known for is crappy fret work. You tell the tech get rid of the fret buzz and might end up with the action sky high to compensate for a high fret.